Jul 29, 2014, 03:23 AM
Thread OP
Cool

Mini-Ellipse Catapult Launch

Not really sure which forum this goes in cause it's a little of slope and thermal. I guess it's slope on a rope with some thermal on windy day.

Anyway, I'm trying to get some practice with some video software so I thought I'd share what I have so far. It's a work in progress and as I get more footage, I'll remix the video.

Hope you like it. Please watch in HD and full screen. Video taken with a Galaxy S4.

Scotty

MiniEllipse Catapult Launch 2 (0 min 55 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2014, 11:21 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Catapults are WAY fun adrenaline rushes! The first time I launched a Speedo with only 10' of tubing stretched to 30' (on the slope) my jaw hit the ground.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:37 PM
Thread OP
It's awesome! I usually take three or so planes and end up just using the catapult. Each time I get a little bit more tension on the tubing to find that perfect whistle. :>)

Scotty
Aug 01, 2014, 01:17 AM
auto-tune remix
We had a guy at our hill back when I started flying that had a 5/8" slope-on-a-rope. It would launch a 60" sloper at insane speeds.
Aug 01, 2014, 03:07 AM
Thread OP
Next time I fly, I'm using my good tubing. ...25 feet of Hosemonster for 3 meter planes. I just hope the tail is glued on good. :>)

Scotty
Aug 05, 2014, 12:24 PM
AMA 353531
Attachment is less of a problem than flutter. I've blown the tail off my Talon sloper that way more than once. Sounds like the noise you get blowing a blade of grass between your thumbs like a reed:

FZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.....*poof*.. (uh oh..)
Aug 06, 2014, 11:51 PM
Thread OP
I definitely need to keep an eye (and ear) out for flutter. I may try to tighten up the linkages a bit more, just to make sure.

Scotty
Aug 10, 2014, 03:30 AM
Brett
I've done some catapult launches with my Mini Acacia (same class of airplane as the Mini Ellipse). Lots of fun!
Nov 28, 2014, 03:31 AM
Thread OP
Here's an updated video with some extra clips taken with the Sony AZ1:
MiniEllipse Catapult Launch 3 (2 min 29 sec)

Scotty
Nov 28, 2014, 03:44 AM
Brett
Need more on-board launch videos!!!

Seriously though, nice job.

Quick Reply