Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:10 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Nuova Faor Nitro Engine How To

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2273080

Please click the link above. I wrote this up so to get the nitro owners fired up again about their bikes and for newbies considering going nitro. Please leave comments and suggestions, do not hesitate to ask any questions, I really enjoy helping people getting their nitro bikes tip top so we can enjoy these amazing machines.
dragbikebam is online now Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Last edited by dragbikebam; Oct 27, 2014 at 04:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2014, 02:26 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to start this Thread.
I have a 701 coming soon from Dave, What is the best way to break in the motor, I do not want to destroy the picco. If it the same process as the cars/trucks Im pretty good its been a few years. What would you suggest, how do you break your motors in?
Thanks .
I really enjoy your videos on youtube your Nuova Faor 509 e converted to nitro HPI .18 is a screamer..
brcer is offline Find More Posts by brcer
Last edited by brcer; Oct 27, 2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:11 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
I have had the best luck getting the bike completely finished and triple check everything, get it started and keeping the revs low to idle, keep the rear wheel from spinning, it might want to turn a little while idling and thats ok just not fast. Run a complete full tank of fuel for the first start if you have a temp guage check them and they should be in the 195 -225 range after a few minutes. Keep the wheel on the ground when it starts to run out of gas and let the engine die from clutch friction. After the first tank run as many rich slow easy runs as you want on the ground, I usually run 7 tanks before going full speed. During break in do not let the engine cool down with the piston at TDC check this after every run. The picco is a hot running high friction performance engine and will have a higher wear rate than some others but it is one of the most powerful .12's I have ran.
Last edited by dragbikebam; Oct 29, 2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:34 PM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
ok I understand everything but am I running the first tank at low idle on the stand, than 7 tanks rich and mellow
thanks
Old Oct 27, 2014, 04:25 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brcer View Post
ok I understand everything but am I running the first tank at low idle on the stand, than 7 tanks rich and mellow
thanks
You can lean it out a little during the ground runs if you need to. Just dont run it full throttle topped out until 7 tanks. You definitely feel the engine breaking in and it will sound different. I have experienced 235 degree temps normally when running the Picco hard but normal is around 225. It runs hotter than any other engine I have used and I use 20% nitro too.
Last edited by dragbikebam; Oct 27, 2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:55 PM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
super, thanks
Old Oct 28, 2014, 02:41 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,372 Posts
Between tanks let the engine cool to ambient temp. Thats a heat cycle and this helps the engine break in properly.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:32 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Between tanks let the engine cool to ambient temp. Thats a heat cycle and this helps the engine break in properly.
+1...But I must admit if I could run 7 consecutive tanks without problems on a nitro bike it would be a great day LOL... I feel really good if I can run one full tank without incident. There's always something that will happen , not so much on these newer bikes but the old TTN and NF's they are most challenging especially the TTN but the 701 is practically bullet proof compared to those so you will have good luck Im sure.
Last edited by dragbikebam; Oct 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 01:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Im excited
Old Oct 28, 2014, 04:51 PM
SUPERBIKER
Belgium - Antwerpen -2070 zwijndrecht
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
How to nitro engine

Dragbikebam,

Very nice and usefull thread.

I have my NF sf 509 nitro converted for using that Go 20 (3.25cc) engine. Also this is a very cheap nitro engine compared to that Picco, etc engines.

It has "big bore" power, some lower revs but bottom and mid power. I just needed to cut (dremel) some material from the cooling head, this is needed to open that NF fuel thank opening clip. for the rest all is fitting very wel.

unfortunately it is a 3.25 cc motor, the motor housing is similar to .12 nitro engines. I have big fun with my rc nitro bikes (even with the brushless's) but when I'm running the nitro bikes, people are crazy abouth them, they can't believe how this is all possible.

I always hold my top end a little on the rich side....... .
With new nitro bike, I just set up a little that rear wheel brake and let the rolling frame running. Rich fuel mixture (4 stroke) and on the way to a fuel thank of 10, i adjust idling, mixture control and needle valve (top end) till the engine is very stable and thrustful on all those settings, but all stays al little on the rich side. After that I let the front (double disc's) working and add the rider and fairing.

I do the front brakes as latest, otherwise All together can be a little complex, especially for newcomers........
I'm using now Rapicon 25% nitro fuel which is superb......and low cost.

Belgium greetings
superbiker is offline Find More Posts by superbiker
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:28 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
Greeting super biker, yes I like them a little rich on top end too . I will check that engine out, sounds like it would be crazy. Any pics?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:41 AM
SUPERBIKER
Belgium - Antwerpen -2070 zwijndrecht
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
nitro bike engine

Hello,

You can see the Go 20 nitro engine on the webpage of "Rc motorradshop de", go to "Produkte" - "algemeines rc zubehor".

If find this really a good engine, I can run it so cool on temp, it has a big cooling head, away from some cutting in the cilinder head, it fits further without any modifications. I can't compare it with the expensive nitro bike engines because I have never run those. I think that the toppers as Picco, etc are more powerfull and only necessary for the competition boys on racetracks.

What is the correct item number (order nr) of your HPI G.30 engine??

I will try to take some pics of my NF GO motor bike, and will post them here.

I'm very interested near future for that NF 701 nitro bike, but I will clearance how the latest models will be delivered. I saw the bike with newer updated wheels (fully closed now), other front brake system (for more ground clearance) and now with the newest one part tank/rider lexan unit. Even now with a bigger bore updated picco orange head engine.Shops shows still the first production bikes.

Regards
superbiker is offline Find More Posts by superbiker
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:06 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
The hpi part # is 101310 for the engine and I know what you mean about big cooling heads, its been hard for me to get the hpi hotter the 185 in the bikes but thats been just fine. I suppose it could use more heat but I have had had good luck at those temps with it. Im still running my first G3.0 after 2 years of abuse and it still will flip over on me...Its hard to destroy these little power houses. The Picco engines are nice and I have had a good time with them but im never installing another one in a runner because im now use to big power and any .12 just feels slow.
Last edited by dragbikebam; Oct 29, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
are you going to put a 2speed in your FPM ?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:56 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brcer View Post
are you going to put a 2speed in your FPM ?
No its doesn't need it and that bike is a master piece so im not touching it.. I will only take it out a few times a year. Its something I don't even thing about moding.