Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Discussion
When the tether line is cut or broken

Hello
I want to ask a question that people ask me buyers
in emergencies
The balloon was released Chelating, his balloon was released from a cable What to do ?
The balloon is leaking air out Height ?
How do I answer them.
or
What to do if the balloon released his cable?
And what to do if there is a hole in the balloon if it is in the air?
Thanks for all
moshep is offline Find More Posts by moshep
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:02 AM
Fellow Human
Joined Mar 2014
23 Posts
I'm new to all of this stuff but i've heard on large scale you want just a slight heavier than air which I don't know what it means. but if it has R/C than I guess you put it into landing mode. I don't know how advanced they are but like the goodyear blimp basically fills more normal air into a seperate envelope to go down instead of releasing helium. gas expands at height temperature too but in models probably not a big issue but this is just all guessing.
Jadall is offline Find More Posts by Jadall
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:08 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshep View Post
Hello
I want to ask a question that people ask me buyers
in emergencies
The balloon was released Chelating, his balloon was released from a cable What to do ?
The balloon is leaking air out Height ?
How do I answer them.
or
What to do if the balloon released his cable?
And what to do if there is a hole in the balloon if it is in the air?
Thanks for all
If a tethered balloon breaks the tether line your probably going to need the Air Force or an Uzi and a fast car.

If it springs a leak you pull it down and fix the hole before it comes down on its own.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:59 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadall View Post
I'm new to all of this stuff but i've heard on large scale you want just a slight heavier than air which I don't know what it means. but if it has R/C than I guess you put it into landing mode. I don't know how advanced they are but like the goodyear blimp basically fills more normal air into a seperate envelope to go down instead of releasing helium. gas expands at height temperature too but in models probably not a big issue but this is just all guessing.
If its lighter than air and the motors quit its going to go Bye Bye.
Managing buoyancy can be a challenge. If you have even moderate temperature or large altitude changes inflight the buoyancy can change dramatically.
There are several approaches to managing buoyancy. A balloonette system with its associated valves and the added complexity of rigging a balloon inside a balloon really isnt immediately practical in a radio control blimp system unless your getting really huge.
The first thing that is necessary is to get a firm grasp on the physics and the physical qualities of the gasses you are using. Then you assess the conditions you will expect throughout a flight and calculate how wide of an envelope you will need to operate in. There is alot of engineering and planning. You not only have to plan for when all the mechanical parts are working you also need a Plan B and C for when a mechanical and/or electrical component fails.

Then you need a pilot.There is alot more to making a good pilot than teaching someone which stick does what and where the switches are.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old May 01, 2014, 08:35 AM
Good Ole American Bad Az 4real
Joined Aug 2012
516 Posts
on a balloon with a tether you can always shot a hole in it with a small caliber gun ie BB gun .177 cal.. and or a hole it can be fixed with Mylar tape or vinyl tape..this is for RC style balloon only the real ones well I have answers for those also..lol
tntpoof is offline Find More Posts by tntpoof
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:53 PM
PhoenixFlyer
South Florida
Joined Dec 2006
219 Posts
Tether Lines

I was in Blimp squadron for over two years, at Lakehurst. When landing, the lines off the nose were called drag lines. As the ship approached on final, you would run out, port and starboard, get hold of the drag lines, cup them in the bend of your arm, and bring them to the mules, hook on, the mules would hold tension on these lines, keeping the ship steady, while the motorized tripod would drive up to cup the nose into the female clasp at top. Secured, this is how each blimp would rotate with the wind, when stationary. Lot more to it then this.
There have been times that if we did not get to the ship in time, when storms were in the area with high winds, many guys, (sailors), would hold on to these lines, trying to keep the ship from rising. Once in a while, without success, someone would hold on, and up and away, hold on till a landing can be initiated, or drop off and kill yourself.
The 2W and 3W bags had ballonets inside, pump up in cold weather, expand the helium, de-valve, the opposite effect, which would help facilitate landing.
The 2W's did have combo tanks for ballast, which we would pick up at sea, using seawater of course. Lot of action in those days, even repairing the 2W's in flight at topside. Our 3W's went down in 1960, lot of crewmen killed, never found.
I often wonder if the Russians had anything to do with these mishaps, as we watched them all the time, them watching us, or they were towing a diesel powered sub back out to sea. 3W bag picture attached, lot of hours on board this ship.
Vince
PhoenixFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PhoenixFlyer