SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:44 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,564 Posts
Discussion
Owner's Thread: ROC HOBBY 2.2M V-TAIL GLIDER by FMS/MOTIONRC

After devouring everything (articles, previews, videos) I could find on the www I ordered one of these relatively new 2.2-Meter powered gliders earlier this week. From what I've seen this one's gonna be a winner, so thought we might's well get an owner's thread started.

First note - Finally it appears one of the mfrs have seen the light, and are incorporating quality into their components like nothing we've seen heretofore. No scrimping on the 'penny pieces' - good heavy duty control horns & clevises, complete with retainer sleeves (and spares!) Thoughtful design features too, like a substantial exhaust hole for cooling which doubles as an inspection port - already built in. Flaps, with servos already installed, and access slots for servo arm adjustment! -- wheels, even wingtip skids to help protect the finish in landings. Great looks, exceptionally smooth finish & (reportedly) even the graphics applications are well done. (Which I'll have to see first to believe! *LOL*) Everything I have seen thus far tho, I like!!

So, with that intro, here's a couple of videos to get things kicked off - one showing flight performance, and the other, a build guide from our buds at RCInformer:

Build Guide:
MOTIONRC 2.2M V-Tail Glider PNF Review & Build Guide By Rich Baker in HD (33 min 13 sec)

Flight Demo:
MOTIONRC 2.2M V-Tail Glider PNF Flight Demonstration by Rich Baker in HD (8 min 45 sec)

And finally, here's a handy link to the MotionRC page:
http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-220...il-glider-pnp/
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Mar 30, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Apr 2002
519 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread...just ordered mine.

:harry
harrye is offline Find More Posts by harrye
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Nov 2008
220 Posts
Beats Radian Pro by a long shot...I own both as well as the other 3 FMS gliders and this is way better. More close to regular Radian (i.e. floats forever)

Great how wings are held with the 2 dowels.

Only problem is the underside is white ...lost track of it a few times already and was lucky to recover.

Was climbing like crazy last weekend on 15mph winds and 25F weather. To compare I flew the FOX and ASW28 and they would not do that on the same spots.

Other issue is that I used 125% on the tail servos mostly because it seemed that controls surfaces in the back were very small.

Another issue is the name of the plane "V-Tail" is not very sexy.
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:42 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbitz777 View Post
...Another issue is the name of the plane "V-Tail" is not very sexy.
Boy! I heard that! This has to be about the most con-sarned way of naming an airplane I've ever seen -- I even had a hard time figuring what to name the folder I set up for it in my Hangar file!

I had also thought of saying (edited out of OP) one of the first things we gotta do here is decide on the name we can use to refer to it, and due to the sorta unique situation of this Mfr/Distr coalition, I'm gonna suggest we call 'er the 'Motion'. How's others feel about that.....or got something better??

BTW Thanx fbitz for joining the thread. Your experience of having the 'siblings' to compare to should prove valuable in ironing out some of the wrinkles we might encounter. Meanwhile, I'm gettin' kinda antsy waiting to get this beauty in the air!
Awww heck......not true. I'm already WAY antsy!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:50 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
SH44 - a general rule of thumb is to put a LINK to the product in the first post, so that people who enter the thread have a handy one click reference. Your efforts with this thread should spread the good word and act as a sales/recognition boost for Motion hobby. All that is good

Pet names for planes are kinda like tough to assign - they grow out of the posts. I immediately thought of "split tail" when I read your statement. Roc-V is another that I could be heard to use, as well. Call it what you want, just playing the game with ya.

Fly well,
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Apr 2002
519 Posts
Hmmm...a name...

How 'bout:

The Helios VT

Helios - Greek I think for Sun...VT for V-tail (in case they produce an ST standard tail version)

Future models could be the Helios VT Pro, etc.

I think there was once a Helios DLG but so not many will remember that...

Or maybe The VROC...in homage to RocHobby.

Just thinkin out loud.

Anyway...mine was shipped today...can't wait.

Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, CA, Pleasant Hill
Joined Mar 2005
315 Posts
http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-220...il-glider-pnp/
specriv is offline Find More Posts by specriv
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:33 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
SH44 - a general rule of thumb is to put a LINK to the product in the first post, so that people who enter the thread have a handy one click reference. ...
Good point Jim. I'll take care of that soon's I'm done here.

Quote:
Pet names for planes are kinda like tough to assign - they grow out of the posts. I immediately thought of "split tail" when I read your statement. Roc-V is another that I could be heard to use, as well. Call it what you want, just playing the game with ya.
Fly well,
JimNM
Yeah, I tend to jump on '1st thought' reaction to first sightings of things, from what they remind me of -- helps me remember 'em later. I've had a couple of mini-strokes & short-term memory was hit hard. I can be talking to my sister & use her name 10 times in a row, go to say it again & can't think of it to save me!

But hey - got some good news too! Got home last night from my VA checkup over in Fayetteville, & guess what was sitting on the back deck?!? Ordered on the 27th, & arrived the 29th....free ride! I think just maybe, these guys are tryin' to impress me!

Won't have time to mess with 'er this weekend, tho. Forecast for Sunday's taken a dump so Sat'dy (today) will be the only flying for this weekend, & I brought a new twin-engine back with me from F-ville, plus I have a new Reichard 2.5M Rapide that'll be getting my attention. *whew* - gonna be busy!

Finishing the coffee -- heading for the field!
Happy Easter everybody -- if I don't see ya before Monday, go ahead & hide the eggs!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, WY, Buffalo
Joined Apr 2005
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbitz777 View Post
Beats Radian Pro by a long shot...I own both as well as the other 3 FMS gliders and this is way better. More close to regular Radian (i.e. floats forever)

Great how wings are held with the 2 dowels.

Only problem is the underside is white ...lost track of it a few times already and was lucky to recover.

Was climbing like crazy last weekend on 15mph winds and 25F weather. To compare I flew the FOX and ASW28 and they would not do that on the same spots.

Other issue is that I used 125% on the tail servos mostly because it seemed that controls surfaces in the back were very small.

Another issue is the name of the plane "V-Tail" is not very sexy.
I also noticed the small throws on my DX8 with this glider so I setup a couple of mixes for rudder and elevator and now all is good. Going to paint a couple of large dark stripes on the underside of the wings.
raptor123 is offline Find More Posts by raptor123
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:59 AM
United States, IL, Lake Barrington
Joined Dec 2012
346 Posts
Yes, there appears to be a bug in the DX8 V-tail mix which causes 50% control throws. Using 125% servo travel will not get you full throws. Unfortunately, you have to add your own mix for the v-tail on the DX8 until Horizon corrects the Spektrum V-tail bug.
Tom.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Tom.MotionRC
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Nov 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
Yes, there appears to be a bug in the DX8 V-tail mix which causes 50% control throws. Using 125% servo travel will not get you full throws. Unfortunately, you have to add your own mix for the v-tail on the DX8 until Horizon corrects the Spektrum V-tail bug.
Damn I never noticed that!

At least by using 125% travel I get to 62% instead of 50% on the travel.

The function that could use more travel in my opinion is the rudder function; the elevator has plenty of authority.
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Apr 02, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Apr 2002
519 Posts
Anyone Using a Full-House Set Up?

Hi Guys...

My V-Tail or "V-ROC" as I have it tentatively named on my Tx should be
delivered day after tomorrow

I'm hoping to use this glider in local ALES competition primarily to compete with the Radians,
and was just wondering if anyone is using a "full house" 6 servo wing set up, and if so what has
been your experience with using Crow, Camber, and Reflex.

The V-Tail looks to have a fairly thick airfoil so Camber / Reflex may not be that effective.

TIA for any thoughts.

Old Apr 03, 2013, 04:11 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,564 Posts
Remains to be seen Harry - ie how it'll work out. I'm intending to set mine up as 'full house' as I can get it.
I've also just got in a 3.2m Reichard Rapide I'm trying to get back together before I'll start on 'this one'; might be a week or so depending on the weather before I'll get to maiden.

And re the 'this one', I said that as I came up with another name suggestion -- this one so obvious (and fitting!) I don't know how I missed it in the 1st place: From middle-east mythology, and the company's name - the Roc <click on) (This was a large white bird that snacked on elephants!!) (Did I say, 'large'?)

What do y'all think?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Apr 04, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 06:52 PM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
509 Posts
Just hit the "Buy" button this afternoon and got a shipment confirmation in less than 2 hours! :thumbup: One of the better rc vendor websites that I've been to - very functional and user-friendly.

I have a FMS Easy Trainer 1280 I used to fly with the same wing retention pin design. (talk about an awful name). As one might imagine, my trainer plane wings took some abuse from less than ideal "landings". I found the wing pin holes would grow over time - introducing slop. Can anyone flying this model comment on the durability of the joint with normal flying/landing?
TNug is online now Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:31 AM
Joined Sep 2012
146 Posts
Just ordered my RocHobby V-Tail 2.2M Glider on Monday and it shipped the same day, MotionRC advertises free shipping on orders over $99 but when I tried to select the free shipping supersaver using my Cell Phone it complained I needed to make another selection so I finally picked UPS ground to complete the order. Well today I was in shock when Tom from MotionRC refunded me the 14.50 shipping after I inquired via email. Wow these people really know how to treat their customers!

Thank you Tom
Guardian7 is offline Find More Posts by Guardian7
Last edited by Guardian7; Apr 04, 2013 at 05:20 PM.