HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2013, 02:41 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Where did you get the incredible pilot, or did you make it yourself. One of the best I've seen.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2013, 11:47 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Beautiful work!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old May 28, 2013, 12:54 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Thanks a lot guys! I've started to work on the nose and the cowling. Photos will come soon.

Russ: the pilot is a 1:6 action figure of Johannes Patzer (i wouldn't be able to produce such a nice pilot). Unfortunately he's a bit heavy, around 200 grams. He's actually a WWII bomber gunner for whom i bought a WWI leather jacket.

I got him from here:

http://www.dragon-models.de/index.ph...chparam=patzer

Maybe i'll modify him later to be lighter.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Last edited by gupi; May 28, 2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Correcting typo.
Old May 28, 2013, 01:18 PM
Make me a proper Spitfire!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupi View Post
Thanks a lot guys! I've started to work on the nose and the cowling. Photos will come soon.

Russ: the pilot is a 1:6 action figure of Johannes Patzer (i wouldn't be able to produce such a nice pilot). Unfortunately he's a bit heavy, around 200 grams. He's actually a WWII bomber gunner for whom i bought a WWI leather jacket.

I got him from here:

http://www.dragon-models.de/index.ph...chparam=patzer

Maybe i'll modify him later to be later.
I did modify mine, just kept the head, and made a new body out of foam. Seen someone drilling holes in the body.

Terje
SAPSPIT is offline Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Last edited by SAPSPIT; May 30, 2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:52 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Started work on the nose and the motor cowling. It will feature the typical starboard cut-out that makes room for the exhaust pipes.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:42 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
Nice work,especially on the cockpit interior. The rounded top on the radiator could come down further, though; on the real thing it's semicircular, with the arc centred at the same level as the top of the air intakes cut into the matrix. The port side pic of 7S shows this quite well, though you need to look a front view to make it absolutely clear. I've enclosed a nice shot of three D.VIIs showing both sides and the front.
Welsh Dave is offline Find More Posts by Welsh Dave
Old Jun 01, 2013, 02:54 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Thanks Dave for the excellent picture. I will modify the radiator to become more semicircular although it'll mean a bit of wood work.

I built the chin from various bits of balsa. Now the front starts to look a lot like a D.VII.

Additionally i added the flat panel that covers the starboard side of the motor. While on the "Sieben Schwaben" this panel was probably removed for flight I'll show her with full panels because i can't show the full motor since the battery bay needs to fit there.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 04:22 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
If you're interested, Gupi, the ship on the left belonged to Lt Linsinger of Jasta Boelcke. It was striped in dark green and yellow except for the two middle stripes, which were probably black. Nose white, tailplane black and white in usual J2 style. Serial no (OAW) 4453/18. Axial prop. Top cowl panels left in factory finish. Pretty much the same as 7S, except that most of the exhaust pipe was covered by the cowling.
Welsh Dave is offline Find More Posts by Welsh Dave
Last edited by Welsh Dave; Jun 02, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 01:06 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
After a long summer with no building activity and some flying it's now back to the building board.

I finally got my Williams Bros Spandau LMG 08/15 kits and built them. The moulding needs a lot of cleaning but they save soo much work and look pretty. First i painted them with Humbrol Gun Metal but wasn't entirely satisfied so i added some thin black coat of water soluble paint over it. I think they look nice now.

Futhermore i built the ammo box with the two characteristic chutes out of thick paper. It was painted with Humbrol Gun Metal and weathered heavily.

Then i started to build the tail surfaces. Actually it was my first venture into laminated outlines. I bent them around pieces of Depron i had lying around. I went pretty OK for the first time i think.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:19 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Good to see you back at it Gupi
I am still happily flying mine!

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:51 PM
Round engines & two wings...
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Mar 2013
228 Posts
Looking fantastic Gupi.
WWI_Flying_Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWI_Flying_Ace
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:31 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Thanks guys!

I recently found out that over at the Aerodrome forum a new photo for the "Sieben Schwaben" has been discovered. It is of excellent quality and shows the Schwaben on the port side in great detail! I'm very excited about this since so few pictures exist of this machine.

Here: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/pe...tml#post638443

Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:20 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Tail surfaces are ready for sanding - looking good already when dry-fitted on the fuselage. I had to put the rudder and elevator servos behind the cockpit since i have the cockpit floor in scale position and now there isn't enough room to route the wires under the floor. Oh well, i hope it doesn't hurt the CG, but it makes it much easier to install everything.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 01:16 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Started to cover the fuselage so that i can start installing the pull-pull wires. I painted parts of the tail side with rattle can paint so that i don't have to paint that part with the wires coming out. This makes masking easier.

I built a hatch for the servo bay in case i need to fix things there. The hatch is hinged with tissue.

Since the wires are in i can complete the coving now.
Last edited by gupi; Sep 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:11 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Since i really dislike sanding decided to change the construction of the wing tips. Looking at pictures of the wing tip on a full-size replica i thought i could use a similar construction. I cut the wing tip shapes out of 3mm balsa, watered them and bent them over night. Then i glued them to the wings and added triangles that "extend" the spars to the tips (On the full-size the spars really did extend to the very tips).

I covered the tail surfaces and glued guiding tubes for the elevator wires into the slots (I forgot to add them before i covered the stab).