HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:03 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
It was the output shaft. It just sheared. I have another one on a flybar'd 450 but once I test that other servo I will probably order a replacement. Just don't trust these anymore. Oh on another note.. when I landed hard one of the other motor mounts had twisted on the boom. I had never installed the grub screw into the motor mount. Maybe that's a good thing? In a crash then the soft metal has less chance of bending?

I had a decent inverted crash the other day and my 306 servo did exactly the same. I thought it was the crash that killed it but if they just fail on their own I'm going to be a bit pi$$ed off that I just got another and a spare!
Currently waiting for time to install the FC protector unit on my rebuild... then it's just wiring it up which is needed.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:33 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I had a decent inverted crash the other day and my 306 servo did exactly the same. I thought it was the crash that killed it but if they just fail on their own I'm going to be a bit pi$$ed off that I just got another and a spare!
Currently waiting for time to install the FC protector unit on my rebuild... then it's just wiring it up which is needed.
Yep it completely failed on its own. I do have that other one I linked earlier on order so we'll see how that one goes, but anything is better than rolling the dice with the 306. Who knows maybe the HV one is better but I'm not going to find out.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Yep it completely failed on its own. I do have that other one I linked earlier on order so we'll see how that one goes, but anything is better than rolling the dice with the 306. Who knows maybe the HV one is better but I'm not going to find out.
Mechanically I guess the two are identical. Probably some rough machining into a under spec'd alloy.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:08 PM
Canada, AB, Division No. 6
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
These servos are probably failing because the dimensions of the pivot are designed wrong.
If you look at the frame from the back you can see the two turnbuckles aren't parallel, this is from an engineer's point of view completely retarded and a major design error.
Throw a couple of washers under the ball joints on the pivot (not the servo adapter) and it should take care of the problem... Or you could just use one and keep the other as a spare.
Seems odd that a decent, strong servo like this would have such a weak spot in the drivetrain.
AUTO_XX is offline Find More Posts by AUTO_XX
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_XX View Post
These servos are probably failing because the dimensions of the pivot are designed wrong.
If you look at the frame from the back you can see the two turnbuckles aren't parallel, this is from an engineer's point of view completely retarded and a major design error.
Throw a couple of washers under the ball joints on the pivot (not the servo adapter) and it should take care of the problem... Or you could just use one and keep the other as a spare.
Seems odd that a decent, strong servo like this would have such a weak spot in the drivetrain.
Totally..

See back on post #231 this was flagged as an issue..
That and the incorrect use of a flange bearing for this type of pivot.
Mods that if not done, are now potentially producing failures..
R.T.K.F is online now Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:21 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,298 Posts
Quote:
Based on the reviews on HobbyKing -- if one puts any stock in them -- these servos fail in other applications as well. I'd guess it's mostly a servo flaw. I'm sure the links could be better but I bet a different servo will have better luck.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:49 AM
Canada, AB, Division No. 6
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Based on the reviews on HobbyKing -- if one puts any stock in them -- these servos fail in other applications as well. I'd guess it's mostly a servo flaw. I'm sure the links could be better but I bet a different servo will have better luck.

Well crap... I guess that was a wasted $60+ bucks... I noticed my tri had a crunchy servo today when I was playing with the fpv setup, turns out the horn screw had worked it's way out. Glad it didn't happen a few hundred feet up

*Unrelated question* - Why does red loctite taste like cherries? A couple of drops in a Rye + Coke might be pretty good.
AUTO_XX is offline Find More Posts by AUTO_XX
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:40 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Aug 2012
205 Posts
received my kit yesterday... it's smaller then I thought.

...and there's a lot of parts will start building soon!
Mrhide is offline Find More Posts by Mrhide
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:48 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
571 Posts
Personally I invest in a reasonable Tail servo as you are asking for trouble buying cheap servos for a part of the airframe that is essential - I use Savox SH-0257 they are fast, centre well and well made - http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000004221
rumbey is offline Find More Posts by rumbey
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:28 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbey View Post
Personally I invest in a reasonable Tail servo as you are asking for trouble buying cheap servos for a part of the airframe that is essential - I use Savox SH-0257 they are fast, centre well and well made - http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000004221
+1, and it fits perfectly in the existing servo cutout...
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbey View Post
For really expensive or important stuff I do use better servos. Name brand, better history. But you know.. this 306 isn't all that cheap. I think when I first got one it was $21.. just a few $ less than an Align ds420 on ebay which is used on the tail of some of their kits. And I believe the Align servos are made by savox. I love align servos .. good price, great performance.

I'd actually like to figure out a way to frame mount a larger servo like a ds520 and use a carbon pushrod to pivot the tail motor. Just don't have the time to mess with that.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
For really expensive or important stuff I do use better servos. Name brand, better history. But you know.. this 306 isn't all that cheap. I think when I first got one it was $21.. just a few $ less than an Align ds420 on ebay which is used on the tail of some of their kits. And I believe the Align servos are made by savox. I love align servos .. good price, great performance.

I'd actually like to figure out a way to frame mount a larger servo like a ds520 and use a carbon pushrod to pivot the tail motor. Just don't have the time to mess with that.
The Carbon tail rod is an interesting idea. I know the Multiwii scarab has 2 rotating front arms and I've seen other kits with rotating tail booms. They all had landing skids of some type to free up the rotating booms.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
*edit* I just got back in from flying the tri on an 8000mah 3s.
The flight characteristics were basically the same, just a little slower. Hover was roughly the same position on the stick.
2200mah - 12 minute hover
5000mah - 20 minute hover
8000mah - 22 minute hover (with a bit of wind and a bit of playing)

So it looks like the sweet spot is 5A batteries with 11X4.7 props...
8000! wow, that's got to be a heavy battery. I don't think I'd have the focus for 20+ minutes of flying. I think my brain starts to struggle at about 10min of intense flying or wonders off out of boredom.
3300mAh in free flight , ziping around, gives me 10 minutes at 80% consumed.
I may try a 4000-5000 based on your test. You also have big motors on your Tri 35-36 If I recollect.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Jan 2007
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikso View Post
Just posted a description of how I fixed the sloppy tail servo mechanism.

Simply added TWO thrust bearings and it turned into a perfectly tight and stable mechanism:
http://eirikso.com/2012/10/20/hackin...lon-tricopter/
Thanks a lot for this mod. It makes all the difference, I imagine that this will be incorporated in V2. Great stuff.
glirich is offline Find More Posts by glirich
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
Im flying mine with the HH2.0 V1.4 and DJI 2212 920 kv motors on 3S.

It flies OK but isnt amazing. Wondering who makes the best flight controller for around $200 USD fir tricopters?

Looking for something relatively easy to setup with a Naza style autolevel.

Also, can someone tell me the best balance point for this tricopter (with the arms set on the middle settings)
Jelico is offline Find More Posts by Jelico
Last edited by Jelico; Nov 20, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: forgot to ask about balance...