Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by Pheliciano
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Discussion
Jeti RMK2 for telemetry

Hi Guys,

I have an octocopter with the mikrokopter controller that I currently have set up with 4 Spektrum satellites through the Mikrokopter diversity receiver board. I'm then using a DX8 to control it.

I'm now trying to set the thing up for telemetry. I have a Jeti RMK2 receiver, a Jetibox mini and a TU2 transmitter at my disposal and I have to admit to not really understanding the whole Jeti-box thing, or how it works.

My question is, can I use the RMK2 just to send telemetry info back to the Jetibox, or do I need to also hack my DX8 too install the TU2? If it's the latter, does that then make my 4 Spektrum Sats redundant?

Thanks.
Pheliciano is offline Find More Posts by Pheliciano
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:46 AM
Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,450 Posts
AFAIK, you can't do what you want with the Jetibox mini, as it has no receiving function. It will work with the Jetibox Profi though, so that may be a better way to go if you want to keep your existing Tx/Rx setup. There may also be a way to install the TU2 in your transmitter and just use its receiving function for the telemtry with the Jetibox Mini, but you'll need to find space inside your DX8 for that and supply the module with power.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Thanks Gordon. This morning I attached the RMK2 to the MK flight control, but left off the connection between the 'EXT' connector on the RMK2 and the 'Rx' solder pad on the MK. Then I connected the Jetibox Mini to the TU2 transmitter and powered the TU2 from a 5V supply without connecting it to my DX8. I bound the Jeti Rx & Tx and I've now got a working connection. Hooray!

The only issue now is that the only telemetric data I seem to be able to see is the transmitter voltage (a steady 5v right now as it's off a bench PSU) and the receiver voltage, which shows as 4.9v. That's definitely not the voltage of the 4S LiPo I have powering my octo, so that must be the voltage that the RMK2 is getting from the MK FlightCtrl.

So, everything appears to work, except that I'm not getting any useful telemetric data at all. How do I view all the useful stuff from the MK board about altitude, battery voltage etc?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by Julez
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,943 Posts
You have to buy the telemetry sensor(s) for the data you like, and connect them to the Jeti RX. If you plan to use more than one, you also need an adaptor.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917531
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:28 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,450 Posts
Julez is right in one respect, but if you want to use the integrated MK solution, you'll need to use the RMK2 as the main receiver on your quad and set your MK board up for Jeti receiver use. That would also mean using a Jeti Tx module in your DX8 for control.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Right, I get you. I like the idea of using the data straight from the MK rather than having another set of sensors just for telemetry. On the other hand, I like the idea of being able to use my DX8 un-doctored so I can use it to control all my MRs. But if I'm understanding you guys correctly, It's one or the other right? Or is there another solution that will extract the MK telemetry data and chuck it to my DX8 or some other little display I can mount on it?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:29 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,450 Posts
Seems like you either use the Jeti integrated solution or you use separate sensors - don't know of any other way that's currently possible.