SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by Silvia S14
Joined Jul 2015
3 Posts
Discussion
Do tail blades need to be balanced on v911 and solo pro 260/Bravo sx?

Got the bright green coloured BNF v911 from banggood yesterday it looks super, and it flew perfectly out right of the box. To make a long story short, I got nervous when it ended up buzzing uncomfortably close to my flat screen TV, and I "dumb thumbed" it into the entertainment centre striking the tail boom. everything looked fine, until I fired it t up and the helicopter started making a strange buzzing sound. the swash plate and flybar blade assembly all looked fine. upon closer inspection, I noticed that the tail blade was chipped. I put my hand on the tail boom and my fingers on the tail motor and could feel the vibration. like any good helicopter hobbyist, I had plenty of spare parts. I grabbed a tail rotor out of a bag that I have received recently. I replaced the broken tail blade only to find out that it was still buzzing, but not quite as badly . at this point I was just assumed that I had probably damaged the motor and that it would have to be replaced . just to be funny, I took the tail blade off of one of my other 911s that wasn't malfunctioning. Lo and behold, the vibration was compleately gone.

this got me to thinking. I have a dark blue bravo sx that buzzes fiercely when I fly it and the tail motor gets really hot. I switched out the tail rotors with another one from my bag, and the vibration was gone from it as well.

so my question is... Is it a common occurrent to get bad tail rotors? the one on the Bravo was an original equipment one, so apparently its not just a bad batch of aftermarket parts. do these tail rotors need to be balanced like the main blades? If so how would you go about doing that?
Silvia S14 is offline Find More Posts by Silvia S14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2015, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by dadio
Joined Jan 2013
1,540 Posts
Never heard of it before as such but I've seen some where the axle hole was off center or out of true but it caused no ill effect .
dadio is online now Find More Posts by dadio
Old Jul 18, 2015, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,277 Posts
I have changed my tail blades to colored and never bother to check them. Never a problem. Many differnet makes ans all these type helis use same tail blade size. V911 tail blade will work on Mini c./p c/p heli etc.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 18, 2015, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by chulian1819
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
356 Posts
any heli should have blades balanced IMHO
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:36 AM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
16,479 Posts
It can certainly help, though it's probably not easy to balance something so small.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures of various boats
Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,619 Posts
I always balanced mine. It's easy. Put a piece of fine monofilament fishing line through it and see if it spins and sits level after spinning. Use extremely fine sandpaper on one blade until it does. This may be why I was always able to get 100 flights out of a tail motor. That and a drop of oil on the motor shaft bushing (do not use much and wipe off all excess. Also keep lint off the motor shaft. Done.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is online now Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Old Jul 19, 2015, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,277 Posts
It never hurts to balance all blades. I use Tri flow on motor shafts and have many helis 200+ flights on same tail motors etc. Many I have painted tips and never balanced after with no ill effects. Feel better then balce tail blades.
Main blades only ones I found way out of balnce is cheapo woodies, or fibreglass ones from discount barns.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 20, 2015, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by MadMichael
VROOMM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Oct 2006
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia S14 View Post

so my question is... Is it a common occurrent to get bad tail rotors? the one on the Bravo was an original equipment one, so apparently its not just a bad batch of aftermarket parts.

do these tail rotors need to be balanced like the main blades?
If so how would you go about doing that?
Yes ! I would like to say 3 out of 10 rotor blades, whatever original equipped or spare parts are out of balance.

Yes, an out of balance tail rotor have the ability to confuse the gyro and can apply more wear to the tail motor. Our heli doesn't behave as well as it would with an balanced rotor. I like to recommend to balance those rotors !

To balance them take a needle, smaller diameter then rotor shaft and put the rotor on . The heavier blade will went down . Often a small piece of thin tape applied to the lighter blade will do the trick, Check balance and repeat till the rotor is balanced . Don't overdo it.
-Michael
MadMichael is offline Find More Posts by MadMichael
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by Silvia S14
Joined Jul 2015
3 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will try mad Michaels suggestion using a needle to balance the blade. Right now, however I have a bigger problem. I killed my Bravo sx board trying to solder a loose power wire back on. I am good with the mechanic stuff, but I never have been able to solder worth a damn. The boards cost almost as much as a bnf, and I would still have to solder the new power wires to the pcb.
Silvia S14 is offline Find More Posts by Silvia S14