SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by mr ray
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
286 Posts
Pulsar 2.5 e RES

Hello,
I purchased a pulsar 2.5 e res and would really like to see how anyone has done the spoilers/servo install and how did you hook up the elevator to the servo? In the spoiler bay it is pretty small and the idea I came up with opens the servo but depends on the wind to shut them. Any and all ideas are welcomed! Thanks.
mr ray is offline Find More Posts by mr ray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by Espiar
Australia, NSW, Galston
Joined Apr 2014
80 Posts
I'm sure the Esprit website gives a build log on 2.5E res - if you look up your model and scroll down to build log. I can't see any issue with their spoiler servo install.
Espiar is offline Find More Posts by Espiar
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:43 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
286 Posts
Not as pictured

Thanks for the suggestion about the Esprit build site. I wasn't aware of the different sites. Trouble is their spoiler and the one I have is a little different. The 2.5 on their site is not a RES but a REF. The spoiler on the 3m fits that Hitec servo perfectly, trouble with the 2.5 is no servo will fit it as is. But it did give me some more ideas on how to make mine work. Now to try and figure out something for the elevator.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by Leadchucker
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Bridgeville
Joined Sep 2008
3,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ray View Post
............. Now to try and figure out something for the elevator.
Here's a diagram from F5 Models showing elevator hook up in top right. You could use ball links instead of the bent pushrod. Put the servo ball link on the bottom of the servo arm for a better pushrod angle.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2015, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by Petem
If it flies - I want one!
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,211 Posts
And spoiler servo...

... and some good spoiler ideas here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955499
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:35 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
286 Posts
Thanks so much for the info on spoilers to Espiar,Leadchucker and Petem.I'm in the process of trying something and will see how it works. The trouble with the pulsar 2.5 res is they (the builder) haven't bothered to put the wood in the frame where you actually need it or in the case of the elevators any at all. For the elevator I will have to cut the covering, cut some balsa to fit and glue it between the ribs in order to attach anything there. Their idea of putting a brass ball link through the elevator outside framing is Mickey Mouse. It would definitely weaken the elevator. (Funny thing too, when I asked Esprit Models twice now what I would require to finish the glider they never mentioned the brass ball links nor do they show a good pic of where that brass ball link is attached to the elevator. Would prefer not to cut the covering but right now I can't see another way around it.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:31 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,744 Posts
Found this on a French model sight if it's any help
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:17 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
286 Posts
That's my elevator exactly Leadchucker. Way to go!! I think I will try that way instead of cutting into the covering and adding balsa. Great pic, hadn't seen that pic before..Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,410 Posts
That's exactly how I built my Pulsar elevator & rudder. Never bothered recovering the servo compartment due to the slow flight speeds.

Lightly sanded the servo case bottom and used Zap Goo to attach to the balsa. You may want to apply a few drops of CA to the balsa in this area, which really hardens it up to reduce flexing during servo movement.
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:33 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
286 Posts
Hey RotorCycle, Thanks for the pic of how you did your servos in the fin. Did you use the thin horn on your elevator or something different. Do you have a pic of the hook up at the elevator?
Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,410 Posts
The stock thin horn works fine. Very little stress moving these control surfaces. I did add one wrap of Kevlar thread right at the Z-bind, then lightly soaked the thread in CA. This prevents the Z-bend from moving in the control horn hole, and eliminated all the slop. Very solid control surface movement.

Tested with high speed dives and abrupt pull-ups, and there is no control surface blow-back even with tiny HS35's.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Dec 2008
286 Posts
Elevator Hookup

Thanks again RotorCycle! I will do that too with the thread. Can't be too cautious! When you are flying and using the throttle input in the receiver for throttle what did you plug your spoilers into?
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,744 Posts
I put the spoilers on the throttle stick and the motor on a switch with all my sailplanes.There's not much use for a throttle for a soaring machine IMHO. Switch on, climb out, switch off ( or altitude switch), go soaring.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ray View Post
Thanks again RotorCycle! I will do that too with the thread. Can't be too cautious! When you are flying and using the throttle input in the receiver for throttle what did you plug your spoilers into?
That's totally preference along with what function you'll be spending the most time with. With throttle it's limited to 30-seconds at launch, and with spoilers it's limited to less than 30-seconds at landing. But if the Pulsar has flaps these are used throughout the working window (I have flaps). Landings also require more precision and possible changes to the control surface, so flaps/spoilers took the throttle stick and throttle ended up on a side slider switch. Makes it easier to throw and power up with only one hand on the radio.