New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2015, 06:11 AM
Find More Posts by Whiplash46
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
Thanks

Right back too you ARUP! Was great watching you fly your Vampyr.
Whiplash46 is offline Find More Posts by Whiplash46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2015, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by SZD16
TEAM GORGEOUS
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,950 Posts
So....... it's been 2 years..... has there been any progress???
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Jul 24, 2015, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by ARUP
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
2,306 Posts
I'm curious about the flaps you have started. The photos don't show them... ??? Are there some sort of drag flaps under the wing just inside the painted portion of wing... kinda like an Orlik but a little more rearward? I really hope to see this one fly! It is really a great looking bird!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:47 PM
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
From Robert Stanley's article, Soaring Sept. 1938;

"Let us face first the faults. Nomad's were comparatively few, but import~nt. Her most glaring fault led to her eventual destruction, and hence merits comment.

Flaps vs. Spoilers:
Nomad had drag flaps-large ones. They were utterly useless for landing purposes, the purpose for which they were designed (Nomad crashed following the loss of 17 feet of left wing during test and stunt flight). A bad, crosswind landing in a dense wheat field had seriously damaged the wing, on which hasty and inadequate repairs had been made. This landing was necessitated by choice of a large field, though a bad one, because of the impossibility, due to absolute lack of all glide path control by the inadequate flaps provided, of landing in an adjacent, smaller, but smoother field. Every landing in Nomad was a nerve-wracking ordeal; I never knew just where it would eventually set down. "
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by rrcdoug
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
Why would drag flaps (large ones) be totally ineffective for glide path control? Are "drag flaps" another name for Fowler flaps or perhaps they are flaps with a drag inducing fence that is raised on the top surface as the flap is deployed downward. These I have seen being much less effective than full scale versions.
Oh.. I see we are discussing the merits of the drag flaps on the full size Nomad!
rrcdoug is offline Find More Posts by rrcdoug
Last edited by rrcdoug; Jul 26, 2015 at 03:15 PM. Reason: duuuh
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:27 PM
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
I contact Mr. Russel Lee, Curator A&S Civilian collection about the Nomad / Flaps. His reply was short; "The Nomad has no flaps." I do have an offer to come to the museums archive to do research if I want, just have not had the time. My thinking is the flaps R.S. mentioned were just simple flat plates hinged to the bottom of the wing on the main spar and were easily removed. I put split flaps on my Nomad, mainly because they are hidden when not deployed so to keep the scale appearance. I'll post some pictures for you and some dimensions if you like. I hope to have her finished for the Fall tow in Cumberland.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by ARUP
Joined Mar 2010
2,306 Posts
I was examining the photos of the Nomad and it sure looked like it had those 'flat plates' at the ~spar location just inside the color trim area! I really love sleuthing photos and such. I have been working on a 1/4 DH-5 which has an upper wing cut out AND wing fuel tank not mounted on the center section but just outside of it! I found this out by scrutinizing photos in the Datafiles for said craft. There is no wordage about it. I hope you get lots of info on the Nomad... and plenty of pics. I'd like to know what the interior looks like.

As far as glide path control... it sure would be handy. My Vampyr could use it. (I could be a better pilot, too!) I'm going to set up radio so that I can reflex the ailerons up to kill some lift while landing. When I floated on past the runway at Cumberland and landed down into the valley I knew then and there something had to be done!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:48 PM
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
The rebuilt Nomad that hangs in the Udvar Hazy Center does not have any flat plates on the underside of the wing. I wish it did. I have taken many pictures of it from every angle possible, lighting is always a problem in this museum. Last year I tried to bring in a tripod to get some long exposures but was DENIED. I did bring in some 60X binocs and got a real good look at the underside for the first time. Like Mr. Lee said, no flaps. No matter. One of the many things that slowed this project down was, I totally messed up the aft fuselage shape, it's very egg shaped, I had it much to elliptical. Had to mod all the formers aft of the T.E. of the wing after the fuselage was already together.

You fly the Vampyr just fine ARUP!! Next time I see you I'll trade you a Nomad for Vampyr flight.
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by Lbuff1
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,611 Posts
FUN FACT

Did you know Vampires live in tree's?
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by ARUP
Joined Mar 2010
2,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
FUN FACT

Did you know Vampires live in tree's?
Mine likes them OK! It also likes hanging up in storage sheds! For folks that are wondering... I was able to successfully retrieve my Vampyr from atop a tree with a pole borrowed from Erich E and assistance from Stephan R! I need more flight practice!