HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2005, 07:00 PM
Balti, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
304 Posts
Rave
Servos & Receivers

Quality Servos & Receivers

I've had two servos fail recently. What top quality brand and model number servo would everyone recommend?

What brand of top quality receiver? I'm using a HiTec Flash555 Radio.

I was very lucky on the last servo failure as I was heading down after high altitude photography with a stuck elevator. I have been flying in cold conditions and wonder if the servos fail a lot sooner.

Thanks,
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk is offline Find More Posts by Sparrowhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2005, 07:23 PM
DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER!
Washington DC
Joined Sep 2004
523 Posts
What type of servo's are you using? Is it on a Slow Stick? You have to look at your servo, torq rating. I would suggest to get the HS 81MG. Ive also stripped many HS 55 and blue bird type class servo's without the camera on. yes they do work in calm conditions but when you add brushless and wind factor and extra weight of a camera, you add alot of G's on the elevator in high wind conditions. if you are using a slow stick, it has very large elevator tail. it makes sense it will need a high torq servo. In my experiance my elevator on slow stick kept getting stripped. If you want to go cheap just buy a high torq servo on the elevator. just buy a HS 81 MG will do great! and stay away from Pico/ Hs 55 class servo's as they are for small slow indoor/flying park flyers.
NCQ3 is offline Find More Posts by NCQ3
Old Feb 07, 2005, 07:29 PM
Balti, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
304 Posts
NCQ3,

Yes it was a Slow Stick (I also have a new Magpie ready). In the future I want to now use the best Servos and Receivers.

Sparrowhawk
Old Feb 07, 2005, 07:52 PM
Ohio USA
Joined Jul 2004
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCQ3
I would suggest to get the HS 81MG. Ive also stripped many HS 55 and blue bird type class servo's.
Absolutely Agreed! I've lost and HS55 in my EZ400G at altitude. (not difficult to land if it's the Elevator Servo, and it dies ANYWHERE but Down) I too use HS 81MGs in my planes. Hold up well, and as was said, the lil 55's work well for indoor and small parkflyers, but really don't hold up well to the 'abuse' we tend to put em through for AP.

Just my 2cents worth

Steve
StevenRC is offline Find More Posts by StevenRC
Old Feb 07, 2005, 07:56 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
For receivers, the FMA full range Rx's with digital signal processing are simply beautiful.
Brand names... JR, Futaba. They make servo's small enough for any "serious" application.

I have an FMA-Direct Rx, 'cause my GWS Rx had range issues (long motor wire causing serious interferance), and have had no glitch at all with the FMA.

theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 07, 2005, 08:32 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,883 Posts
The Berg and the Shadow 1 have no equal. The shadow is dual conversion, full range and tunes all 72 kz channels without crystal change.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Feb 07, 2005, 10:01 PM
Beam me up Scotty
Central Ohio
Joined Dec 2002
550 Posts
Sparrowhawk

I use the full size Futaba receivers and remove the housing, weighs 3/4 oz. no problem then with range or glitches. I have had good luck with the HS 81 servos on the Slow Stick.
Do you live near Pearl?

Joe
Vette is offline Find More Posts by Vette
Last edited by Vette; Feb 08, 2005 at 08:29 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2005, 11:01 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
HS81's and HS81mg's have become my favorite servos for now. I currently am using a Hitec 555 and also a Hitec Electron 6 on my AP wings. The HS 81 servos have not given me any problems yet even after several hours of pretty high stress operation on my very aerobatic modified Slingers.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Old Feb 07, 2005, 11:41 PM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,479 Posts
Sparrowhawk,

How did the servo fail? Gear train or electronic? The Cirrus CS-09 has been a workhorse for me. Have several sets with hundred's of flights on them and no problems.

Rgds,

Mike
DangerBird is offline Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Feb 08, 2005, 10:55 AM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
I agree with the Hitec 81mgs. I've used the same ones for going on 2 years. I did have one begin to stutter a bit, and I had to take it apart and clean the POT. I put a couple of bluebird servos in to try and one failed in less than 10 flights.
The new Shadow receiver looks like a great unit. I've had zero problems with my Berg 5. I wouldn't recommend the 555. I've had 2 and they both have been quirky. The Berg is always solid.
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Feb 13, 2005, 09:38 PM
Washington DC
Joined Sep 2004
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerBird
Sparrowhawk,

How did the servo fail? Gear train or electronic? The Cirrus CS-09 has been a workhorse for me. Have several sets with hundred's of flights on them and no problems.

Rgds,

Mike
You have been lucky! They fail because the plastic gears give in and get stripped. It mostly happens in the elevator of a Slow Stick since it is a rather large area. Its hard to tell when you get really high up; how windy it is up there. Or its hard what you are doing when your slow stick is just a spec in the sky. You may be flying down at an angle and pull up hard to strip the gears.
Erwin
Last edited by NCQ3; Mar 07, 2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 04:57 AM
Balti, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
304 Posts
NCQ3,

That's exactly what happened that afternoon. It was cold..has been..(maybe hard on the servos) and I lost orintation after a really good flight. When I figured it out I had to really pull up hard.That's when things got interesting. I did get it somewhat leveled out but then no elevator! I'm going to change to the HS 81 MG !
Thanks,
Sparrowhawk
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:46 PM
Washington DC
Joined Sep 2004
523 Posts
I wish everyone emphasis this on the AP Threads! I see alot of people on AP forum with pics of blue HS 55 or similar torq servo.