HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
Discussion
Is the blade Huey going to be discontinued?

I saw that Eflite cut the price of th Huey to 99.99. Sounds like a good deal, but i am afraid i will no longer have any parts support. i have a walkera v120d02s, and have mastered flying circuits. If i only fly circuits, i am sure the chance of crashing the huey will be next to zero. Is it a good idea to add the huey to my fleet?
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:37 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2013
357 Posts
Good luck trying to find one now that they dropped the price to $99.95. HH shows out of stock on their website & not to be reoffered what ever that means (discontinued probably). They will keep the parts up for sale as they probably have a fair supply on hand for a good while. That said, Main Hobbies has the package deal up for $119.95 plus shipping unless they have sold out too! If you want one, now is the time to get it before they all sell out of stock! To be honest, I placed an order with Main last Sunday & the tracking number say it should be here Monday morning! There is another thread in the mini heli section on these very Blade UH-1 Hueys.
FloridaAKM is offline Find More Posts by FloridaAKM
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samho2088 View Post
I saw that Eflite cut the price of th Huey to 99.99. Sounds like a good deal, but i am afraid i will no longer have any parts support. i have a walkera v120d02s, and have mastered flying circuits. If i only fly circuits, i am sure the chance of crashing the huey will be next to zero. Is it a good idea to add the huey to my fleet?
I'm sure you will get quite a range of opinions on this one. I recently bought my second, having had one for over a year now I couldn't resist the price to have a backup. You can't buy the parts for even close to $99. I'm not sure if it is being discontinued or not but most likely it is. The original blade sr on which this Huey is built is still full price and the parts from that all fit the Huey. Main shafts, gears, feathering shafts, head components, etc. Horizon hobby also has a good track record for supporting their older models for many years. You can still buy parts for the blade cp!

For original price I would be on the fence but in my opinion, for $99 this is a bargain. If you can still find any for that price in stock somewhere.

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:16 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,084 Posts
It is one squirly helicopter. Even great pilots have issues flying it. I was tempted, but then remembered what my good friend at the lhs said who has been flying helicopters for 30 years, It sucks lol! I would pass.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:39 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,808 Posts
Good bird for $$. Its fragile. FBL 6ch helis are way more stable. Wise fellow who thinks he mastered one heli and zero chance on breaking this ..good luck dude.
The body on this will shatter very easy. Find one and let us know how it goes..
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 15, 2013, 07:26 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,585 Posts
I would not buy one if they were offering a $50 price tag... To much of a future headache in just maintenance.. I find it amazing the Blade SR has lasted as long as it has. Be it in a fuse or pod -n- boom
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:15 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,895 Posts
I missed the $99.99 sale, didn't spend much time in the forums, would love to fly the scale BSR. The Blade SR is one of my favorite heli, I used to fly mine daily to practice inverted circuits before the mcpx, have logged 1,000+ flights in them.
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:24 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,084 Posts
You can still get it at Amainhobbies for $119
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined Jul 2013
357 Posts
Okay, the SR UH1 Huey came in today. Looked thru everything & it was all there; went thru the instructions to make sure I understood everything. Charged up the battery & went out for a maiden flight after checking out the hardware & binding the radio. The tail rotor comes on in spurts @ first, then just revs up & spins the Huey around in fast clockwise circles. There is no change in the tail rotor speed reguardless of stick position, just wide open or off. The gain has nothing to do with this, so it looks like I have a defective machine out of the box. Ya'lls opinion...........
Old Sep 17, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Jul 2013
357 Posts
No opinions? Well, Mr. I got a new heli & it don't work, struck again. Problem with the rear rotor is that...........the gyro was not locked in & the rest of the functions worked, unlike my other helis which do nothing until the gyro is locked in! Darn Newbies, too bad I am one. @ least I didn't call the CS tech help & bother them with my ignorance. You can't see the gyro red light unless you look real hard thru the front of the open canopy. Watching a UTube video, helps understand where are the internal parts are, without disassembling the bird.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 08:50 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
Okay, the SR UH1 Huey came in today. Looked thru everything & it was all there; went thru the instructions to make sure I understood everything. Charged up the battery & went out for a maiden flight after checking out the hardware & binding the radio. The tail rotor comes on in spurts @ first, then just revs up & spins the Huey around in fast clockwise circles. There is no change in the tail rotor speed reguardless of stick position, just wide open or off. The gain has nothing to do with this, so it looks like I have a defective machine out of the box. Ya'lls opinion...........
My Opinion... See post #6.... The all to famous " I told ya so"
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Sep 17, 2013, 08:57 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
My Opinion... See post #6.... The all to famous " I told ya so"
(Larry the cable guy) That's funny! I don't care who you are lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined Jul 2013
357 Posts
To each, his own! If it turns out to be a real dud, I paid for the lesson & dud; I would rather live the experiance, than wonder what I missed out on! Flying in the actual Huey is completely a major thrill, unless you are going somewhere to get shot at! Several years ago, I got to fly in a Huey @ Knob Creek gun range in West Point, Kentucky & that was an experiance never to be forgotten!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:24 PM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
247 Posts
Hey Florida- yes the SR can be a challenge to fly because it is small nimble and a little twitchy. Sounds like your gyro may be reversed. Put it on a smooth floor and sort out the spinning. Hopefully that's all it is.

It is likely the bird will be discontinued but you should be able to get parts for years.

Cheers, martini
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Sep 21, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Jul 2013
357 Posts
My problem was that the gyro had not initialized in the time frame I was used to. After giving the bird longer to initialize, the bird flys well with no problem.The blades had a split on each top side in the covering about 1" from the tip, nothing touched the blades, but the splits still appeared. I covered both splits with clear tape to hopefully stop this covering splitting!