HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:16 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,639 Posts
Build Log
Multiplex Pico Teddy restoration! (new electronics)

Hello guys,
not sure if this is supposed to be in this category, but it seemed that it should belong here.
Anyway, this plane has been sitting on top of a wardrobe for the past decade and recently I decided to restore it, and see if it will fly. There were some broken foam pieces and there were some missing foam pieces. Thankfully all of the electronics were OK and working great. So, basically I glued the broken pieces and put depron pieces in place of the missing pieces. I replaced the original Multiplex radio system since its battery was very weak and I did not want to risk it running out during an eventual "successful" flight. The new system is a 6ch non-programmable HK 2.4Ghz radio system. I have placed an order for two Turnigy 2s 800mah li-pos and am waiting for them to do a test flight. The brushed motor has quite a lot of thrust with the 6x4 prop on a 2s li-po, and has too much thrust on a 3s li-po, so I decided to go with 2s. Until the batteries arrive, however, I can only provide pictures and a time lapse video of the restoration:

The nose of the plane was hanging by a thread so I had to take if off completely and glue back on.

The vertical and horizontal stabilizers have obvious signs where the breaks were, and also you can see where new pieces of depron were needed.

The motor nest also needed gluing and strengthening since the motor is not fixed in place, but rather it pushes on the foam in order to move the plane. I put some tape over the nest to make it stronger. The 6x4 prop has good thrust on a 2s li-po, but it needed some trimming since one of the props was a bit longer than the other.

I had to make a new bottom cover since the original one was missing. Its not the prettiest, but it should do the job.

The receiver of the new radio system.

Here is the video:
Restoring a Multiplex Pico Teddy RC plane to life (4 min 44 sec)
Arxangel is offline Find More Posts by Arxangel
Last edited by Arxangel; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
Cool...let us know how it flys!

Is thos the predecessor to the Easystar? I never heard of the Teddy.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Cool...let us know how it flys!

Is thos the predecessor to the Easystar? I never heard of the Teddy.
I believe it could be. I had a hard time finding any info for it on the web (prop size and battery size). It was discontinued back in 2001 maybe. I think I read something about its successor and it sounded something like "Easystar".
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:38 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
mine is still flying so have loads of good experience with it.
some advice; glue the motor to the wood under it; the foam alone is NOT strong enough .
Make sure the cg (balance point) is right ; the old nicad batteries this plane is designed for are heavier then todays lipo of the same size .
I balance mine on the spar (wood in wing) with the nose a bit down.
Check if the current of the motor is right ; the standard prop is the "gunter" push on prop (most americans know it as the zagi prop)

and yes its styrofoam so its a foamy and it was my first foamy
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
mine is still flying so have loads of good experience with it.
some advice; glue the motor to the wood under it; the foam alone is NOT strong enough .
Make sure the cg (balance point) is right ; the old nicad batteries this plane is designed for are heavier then todays lipo of the same size .
I balance mine on the spar (wood in wing) with the nose a bit down.
Check if the current of the motor is right ; the standard prop is the "gunter" push on prop (most americans know it as the zagi prop)

and yes its styrofoam so its a foamy and it was my first foamy
Thank you, very valuable information. I was actually wondering where the CG could be. Now I know. I have ordered two Turnigy 2s 800mah li-pos that I plan on running in parallel, so a total of 2s 1600mah. Will see how much they weight when I have them. Lets hope I will not have to add much more weight to the nose.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,639 Posts
Good news! After the batteries arrived earlier this week, Teddy had its second "first" flight today. The flight was a total success, and in no small part because of cmulder's advice on the CG point. THANK YOU!!!

I flew the plane for 12 mins, batteries were only half empty at that point. With some gliding it could go up to 20 mins of flight on 2s 1600mah li-po.

The bulky thing on the nose is actually a 7s NiMh battery pack that I used to balance it properly since the li-pos were very light and it needed quite a lot of weight on the nose.

Enjoy:
Multiplex Teddy - first flight for 12 years (1 min 29 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:11 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
I was actually wondering where the CG could be. ...
The instruction manual is still available in the download section of the Multiplex homepage:

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/service/d...push&docID=640

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:38 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
The instruction manual is still available in the download section of the Multiplex homepage:

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/service/d...push&docID=640

Jürgen
Thank you, this is very useful.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:21 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,639 Posts
Hello guys, Teddy had some new electronics installed:

Motor: hexTronik 24 gram 3000kv Brushless
ESC: Plush 18 amp
Servos: 9g Mystery and TowerPro 1kg servos

Here is the result, it flies comfortably and is able to gain altitude at 20% throttle:

Multiplex Teddy with Brushless 3000Kv motor and Plush ESC (5 min 5 sec)