Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:09 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,707 Posts
That's a bummer ken!
Probably more damage gets done handling these things through doors then flying!

Calm enough in for another early session , still not much in the way of lift but lots of turbulence and sink lol!
Good news is the aileron servo behaved fine so looks like it was just the battery voltage a bit too low yesterday.
Got a fair number over 100ft , averaged 90 ft over 70 throws with 50 or so throws over 90 ft.
Best was 105 ft so not as good as yesterday.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2014, 05:47 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,892 Posts
Well the ol' TS1 was back in the air today. I had to dig out the owners manual for my A9 to "refresh" my memory on some of the finer points of programing.

The winds were 2 to 5 and the temp about 86 with high humidity and an occasional halfhearted thermal. I'm sure a GOOD dlg pilot could have milked them all day long but I have a long way to go yet in that department. Anyway, the trim is as good as I can get it without any other dlg's to reference to. I had about 30/35 throws and was seeing the tail on the majority. That part is good, but my height still sucks and there are a few wild pitches mixed in

All in all a good day. There is a dlg "contest" in the Twin Cities next month and I plan to attend to see what all the hoopla is all about.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:28 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,324 Posts
absolute squalls here early with torrential rain and winds gusting to over 50 kph

then a brief quiet spell around lunch where i managed an hour in really challenging conditions, but still managed a climb out after descending to 55' and then more than doubled my height to score a 2:40 having courageously traversed trees and a major road to follow the wandering lift

then a couple of very uncontrolled landings - one a vertical nose plant into a thankfully soft earth after all the rain, and a further spontaneous sudden roll to inverted at about the same altitude (a metre from the ground) courtesy of completely crazy patches of turbulence

and a few magpie attacks too

no major damage, but enough horror at the potential to pack it in and head home; poor conditions expected here for the next few days too
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:33 PM
Adam Gibson
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
841 Posts
Had another great day at home out back of my house with my 1.5m DLG. I decided to put my openaltimeter back onboard my Binary IV for a battery warning and I was able to get it into a position so that I can more easily download altimeter data from it. I had to pull the battery out to get it out last time I had it in there so I removed it months ago. I don't solder the connector on the altimeter btw (weight)... I just touch the pins during the download. I would love to use the spektrum altimeter/variometer but I can't get it to fit (I have tried twice).

I got a 800 ft flight earlier in the day with onboard video which was fun to watch afterwards. I went back out later around 3:30pm and I caught another for about 38 minutes sending me up to my record height so far (1543 feet). I kept it just under a cloud so I could see it with a nice fluffy white background.
xStatiCa is online now Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:30 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,022 Posts
What is the high line on the graph that occasionally dives to zero?
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:29 PM
Adam Gibson
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
841 Posts
Temp of the air inside the fuse.
xStatiCa is online now Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:12 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,707 Posts
Nice flights Adam! If you want a good small telemetry setup you really need the Taranis and high precision vario and a d4r, total cost probably not much more then the spectrum vario etc and you get a fantastic new transmitter too lol!
Rain and wind here still, no good for dlg, scalextric setup instead a d having fun racing against my not so little girl lol.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Today, 07:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Suffk
Joined Jul 2014
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
+1 to this

from the video it appears you have the cg a little further back than i used to do; try around 3-5 grams in the nose and re-trim, because flying that close to the stall actually loses height from constant gentle stalling

see the definitive info in my original review here

you will launch higher, and it will zoom around faster but more decisively

fwiw, here's my ancient video of the original mini

try as i might i can't figure code to cut to the flight i wanted to show, so unless you like lots of my launching, zoom across to 2 minutes and 42 seconds and watch the last segment to notice the speed i found to be most efficient
Well I went out for another fly today with 5g of weight at the tip of the nose which brought the CG forward about 10mm and it made a massive difference! Launches were higher and more positive and it sailed around with much more purpose than before. I think I managed around 1:05 for my longest flight in the end!

Thanks again!
CodeThief is online now Find More Posts by CodeThief
Old Today, 07:22 AM
rug
Matt Cook
United Kingdom, New Mills
Joined Feb 2014
121 Posts
Hi CodeThief.

Now you are improving the trim there is no need to stop just yet.

Have you done a dive test ? If you are having to use a little up elevator trim to keep the nose up, then you can save a little weight and drag by removing a little of the added nose weight, and trimming the glide with the elevator. One click can make a noticeable difference here !

It's just a shame you're getting it going just as the summer seems to have packed its bags. Maybe we'll get some better weather in September ...

Matt
rug is online now Find More Posts by rug
Old Today, 07:33 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,324 Posts
good going codethief

and +1 to rug's tip for paring back the nose weight to see where optimal compromise is had

my (yester)day's doing with the binary 900 was to finally repair the crack in the pod canopy with a few layers of really fine fibreglass and a touch of finishing epoxy

i am constantly amazed at the improvement in my skills with materials (the 'glass recently, but also soldering tiny things); like thermal finding, it seems that the more you just get on and do it, the "easier" it gets
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Today, 08:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Suffk
Joined Jul 2014
22 Posts
It wasn't too bad actually as I already had a tiny touch of up elevator on there previously. I'll have a play though as it would be nice not to have to add weight!

There was a good 5-8mph wind which I'm sure helped this along, probably more soaring than anything else!

Video of said flight:

HK Mini 950mm DLG 1 minute flight (1 min 9 sec)

Dave
CodeThief is online now Find More Posts by CodeThief