HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
www.****enageair.org
Joined Mar 2006
299 Posts
Cool
Golden Age Air Museum RC Meet 2012!

It's that time of year gents,

The GAAM RC Model meet is upon us! Make sure you stop in and bring your Pioneer through Early WW2 Models Civilian and Military, Warbirds are not excluded. As long as the prototype Flew prior to or during 1941!

See the attached flyer for more info!

Photos Courtesy of Myself, Jason Harry and Manitou
us185damiani is offline Find More Posts by us185damiani
Last edited by us185damiani; Sep 04, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:43 PM
www.****enageair.org
Joined Mar 2006
299 Posts
GAAM RC Meet 2012 Version

More reasons to attend the GAAM RC Meet 2012
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:57 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,401 Posts
Which day's gonna have the best weather? Sat,or Sun?lol.

This'll be my first visit....coming with the Oxford area Cloud Kings R/C Club.

Very much looking forward to it !
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:11 AM
www.****enageair.org
Joined Mar 2006
299 Posts
Hey there Earl,
Sounds good! Cya then!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:55 AM
southern Illinois
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
I wish i was closer. This is my favorite era for airplanes!!!
Dizzy5 is offline Find More Posts by Dizzy5
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,401 Posts
Double header !

We changed plans a little-Now,we're going to Kutztown to the R/C flea market early,then on to the Airport at noon....We're driving 80 odd miles to get there,might as well kill two birds with one rock !
Come on Saturday!

We've decided to take that 1/4 scale CUb with the OS.91 4 stroke that just flys so well and realistically. Hopefully the weather will hold up for us.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Sep 28, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,401 Posts
Grimes Airport Sept,2012

Well they did not sell it short,guys.

Those fine gentlemen make you feel at home,and welcome.

I didn't take names.(I'll get that later) but I did take NOTICE !-You can caress these airplanes! I mean,it's like they know you wouldn't do anything to harm the aircraft,so there are no signs saying "look but don't touch" or anything like that.

I was taken aback by the man sanding the wooden gear leg support for a SPAD.
He had it on saw horses just sanding away!-and he talked to me !-It was okay to bother him! Man what a nice place to visit and befriend people.....

We flew the 1/4 scale Cub several times,and theR/C club sponsoring the flight line had their act together also.

We watched Mike Damiani prop a Fokker Triplane,refusing to allow it to not start.And start it DID! And he didn't prop the prop !-He propped the whole ENGINE !-It ALL rotates...

The most awesome part was the flying....up up ,and away they went,that Fokker and Sopwith.Twisting and turning,machine guns popping.

I sound like a kid,and I'm 71 years old ! Visiting Grimes Airport today was a shot in the re-interest, long overdue. Stay tuned-I'm gonna talk about this all week...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Sep 30, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,401 Posts
-And the MODEL airfield ! The Pilot's stations are a little bit lower than the runway surface,as it rolls off toward you.
Somehow takeoffs and approaches are just easier...Of course if you can set up an approach 1/4 mile out,that's certainly an advantage.
My 1/4 scale J-3 was just so happy !
I was impressed with the models there..I see these things all over the East Coast,at contests and fun flys,and fly-ins.14' Biplanes,some of them 40% scale,1/3 scale Cubs and Civilian planes,all built before 1941,the cut-off date to fly at Grimes,in respect for the Era.
I never like to name names,but Larry Alles had an especially nice Cessna 140 there,something you don't see modeled all that often..And as usual for Larry,it was well flown.At least 1/3 scale,it is a showpiece....not that the others weren't-there were no embarrassing models there.
Gene liked the Fleet with the Saito Golden Knight radial-I lost him,every time it flew.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:26 AM
www.****enageair.org
Joined Mar 2006
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
-And the MODEL airfield ! The Pilot's stations are a little bit lower than the runway surface,as it rolls off toward you.
Somehow takeoffs and approaches are just easier...Of course if you can set up an approach 1/4 mile out,that's certainly an advantage.
My 1/4 scale J-3 was just so happy !
I was impressed with the models there..I see these things all over the East Coast,at contests and fun flys,and fly-ins.14' Biplanes,some of them 40% scale,1/3 scale Cubs and Civilian planes,all built before 1941,the cut-off date to fly at Grimes,in respect for the Era.
I never like to name names,but Larry Alles had an especially nice Cessna 140 there,something you don't see modeled all that often..And as usual for Larry,it was well flown.At least 1/3 scale,it is a showpiece....not that the others weren't-there were no embarrassing models there.
Gene liked the Fleet with the Saito Golden Knight radial-I lost him,every time it flew.
Hey Earl!
Great seeing you there, and I'm glad you had a great time!
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,401 Posts
This could be fun !

After a self-imposed 24 hour suspension for LYING,I'm back with the facts,man-just the facts.

I asumed the beautiful Staggerwing was Byron's,but it is the handiwork of Mr Andres,built from Nick Ziroli's plans.

We need to revisit the efforts the dedicated men at the Museum are putting into keeping the Memory alive.....I love the Classics,and my nose gets poked into the dusty corners of Museums,to find that elusive aircraft.

With loNslo and some others looking forward to a Monocoupe build later,my heart skipped a beat when I felt a hulk over my head.An uncovered fuselage hangs in one of those very corners.! With clipped wings nearby,and miscellaneous parts everywhere, I hope this airframe will one day be restored to at least static display.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:27 PM
www.****enageair.org
Joined Mar 2006
299 Posts
Gothca Again Earl.

The wing to the Monocoupe is hanging on the wall in the restoration shop. those are the original wings to the Winstead Special. I'm surprised you didn't find the flying monocoupe Model 70
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by us185damiani View Post
Gothca Again Earl.

The wing to the Monocoupe is hanging on the wall in the restoration shop. those are the original wings to the Winstead Special. I'm surprised you didn't find the flying monocoupe Model 70
I did ! It's a long tale,and I'm saving some for later..I saw the 'Coupe wing over the Studebaker in the Restoration shop,but it's a full length one...and since it's so far away,I thought you had a Clipped wing there,by the fuse...I get smarter every time I talk to you. Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,401 Posts
Over in one Hangar,there's a welded steel tubing framework that Bill Brenchley would have been interested in..and lots of other folks....

There's a Dormoy "Bathtub" in all it's nudity !-I remember Bill's 1/4? scale model,built with all the pieces of the full scale.

He had an OS 1.60 4 cycle twin for power,and outdid himself on detailing and fidelity to scale.
RCG Plus Member