Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:06 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
Himodel has the motors much cheaper then GLB, there the fastest in shipping I have ever dealt with

http://www.himodel.com/electric/HL_W..._Aircraft.html
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Jul 2011
405 Posts
A question. What happens if you break somehting? Is there any replacement parts to buy?
Reginak is offline Find More Posts by Reginak
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:20 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginak View Post
A question. What happens if you break somehting? Is there any replacement parts to buy?
Not that I know of. But the arms are standard 22mm CF tubes found at many online retailers. The tube clamps are solid pieces of aluminum, so you would really have to try very hard to bend them, and even so they are aluminum so you should be able to bend them back again.
The possible source of problems is the base plates. Personally I have a CNC machine and have made photocopies of the original base plates before I built it, so I can make my own. But I guess other may not have that possibility.

Edit: But you can look at it like this. A single crash with an original Cinestar, would probably cost more in replacement parts then the entire BlackStar8 kit.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Last edited by jab; Jul 19, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
So today I had a very uneventful and successful maiden flight. Very smooth in the air, even with default YS-X6 settings and no expo on the radio. Gave a feeling of being in control even on the maiden flight.
jab -

Thanks for posting your video! I definitely wanted to see it prior to buying one of those frames. Now I definitely want one.

I noticed that you are not using the battery mounting plate, obviously because you don't have to! I have built a Cinestar-ish frame with the batteries on top, and while it flies well, when I carry it around (from my workroom to my backyard) it wants to flip - because all the weight is on the top!

Do you have a similar tendency on your build?

Anyway - looks like that bird has quite a bit of 'punch' when you goose the throttle! It looks like it would be fun to fly - with OR without a camera. Do you plan on mounting a camera?

Thanks again for posting the video. I think sometimes folks forget that it is kinda a PITA to take/post a video.
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,060 Posts
DroneBuilder: I am going to install a camera gimbal, so I am waiting with a permanent battery mounts until then. Most likely I will place two batteries at the top sideds of the gimbal under the frame. Better to be bottom heavy then top heavy, so that the copter is more naturally stable.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Jul 2011
405 Posts
Whats the gimbal you'll be using and what camera?
And last, whats the distance from the botton plate to the ground.

Thanks
Reginak is offline Find More Posts by Reginak
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:25 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i think the real downside of this frame of the real cinestar is the vibration isolation gimbal mount that is on the real CS

to be completely honest, i would rather build rusty's frame (aglhobbies) and use his floating plate to mount a gimbal on.

This frame just "looks" like a cinestar..... which i dont need a kockoff to feel cool about myself
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
106 Posts
nothing unique or new move along...
Percalotor - Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Percalotor - Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
i think the real downside of this frame of the real cinestar is the vibration isolation gimbal mount that is on the real CS

to be completely honest, i would rather build rusty's frame (aglhobbies) and use his floating plate to mount a gimbal on.

This frame just "looks" like a cinestar..... which i dont need a kockoff to feel cool about myself
So a couple of dampeners at $75 a piece makes the Cinstar8 worth the extra $1300? I am pretty sure I can order some and make some holes myself, if I want to use that dampening system.

The CineStar is a rigid, simple and proven design that works, but the prices for what essentially is a couple of carbon fiber sheets and tubes is insane. And the design is so simple (part of the attraction) that pretty much anyone can make something equivalent.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:42 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,978 Posts
this is a great looking frame, I have no need for any extra vibration dampener junk on the cinstar...

this frame is in my future

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:51 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginak View Post
Whats the gimbal you'll be using and what camera?
And last, whats the distance from the botton plate to the ground.
Thanks
I am torn between an AV130 or the Cinestar gimbal.
29,4cm from the bottom plate to the ground.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:09 AM View Post
whosYOURdaddy - QuadAddict
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Widespread). Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:08 PM
BRAZIL
Joined Jul 2010
77 Posts
Please post more videos....
Crissbrasil is offline Find More Posts by Crissbrasil
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:41 AM
Santiago, Chile
Chile, Región Metropolitana, Stgo
Joined Oct 2011
75 Posts
Jab Congratulations for your Octo, it's really nice.

Please post more pictures and videos..
I'm looking this Octo, and I planing to buy.

How much weight your Octo complete.?

I have a Rusty Hexa with AV130, works excellent, The Gimbal is very good and is't Light than Cinestar, but Cinestar Gimbal is more Flexible and configurable for diferent cameras, also the weight and price are High.
The AV200 are for bigger Cameras.
Also I Have the Skyline RSGS, this is the independient Gyro Stabilization for AV130/AV200 This product have some jittering problems now, but in the new firmware may be they will solve.

It's important to solve how to mout the Gimbal to your Multirotor, the AV 130/200 use mounts for Droidworx and have grommets for isolation (it's not the best) and Cinestar have an axcellent and expensive system (I have a CNC too and I planing to build a similar mounting system like Cinestar)
flozano is offline Find More Posts by flozano
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:22 AM
Netherlands
Joined Feb 2004
440 Posts
Hmm, After a few weeks I received the Glasfiber Octocopter kit!

Everything looks great, also the quality. It's a little heavy for my taste, but nevertheless the thing is great and strong.

There's one thing That I don't understand,

I want to build a hexa out of the octa. But on Goodluckbuy and on the site of omgfly.com they keep saying "magical frame design allows you to turn it into a hexa" I ordered the Octo, with the thought that if I turn it into a hexa I have two spare arms!
Now I received the kit but I cant find out how to turn it onto a hexa.

Please some help!
Remy is offline Find More Posts by Remy