Closed Thread
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:21 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Updated information in red below:
When I get home I am going to order one. It would be perfect for my hat cam set up.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:24 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,369 Posts
Quote:
But it has been done, I think, for one of the old 808 versions.
The #7 has a userconfig.txt file. The firmware is updated from this using a batch file. Works great and helps keep track of the last change.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:29 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
The #7 has a userconfig.txt file. The firmware is updated from this using a batch file. Works great and helps keep track of the last change.
Thanks... couldn't recall which one... my interest and following of the old 808 is fading rapidly! I'll mention the #7 version to My HD Camera Guy!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:33 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,369 Posts
Quote:
Thanks... couldn't recall which one... my interest and following of the old 808 is fading rapidly! I'll mention the #7 version to My HD Camera Guy!
Yeah, the #7 is no match for the HD, but the software is fine. There are still a few of us SD orphans back there, drop in sometime!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Yeah, the #7 is no match for the HD, but the software is fine. There are still a few of us SD orphans back there, drop in sometime!
I still read new posts... just don't jump in with responses nearly as much due to the time it takes, and no way to refer to answers to questions that have been asked and answered many times over?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:06 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Who has done it with the HD key cam? Vendor said no drivers needed, even when I specifically ask him about older XP computers. I tried it today, and as I expected, no driver support! Anyone? ANYONE?
Old news, but reading back thru the posts, I came across this. Sorry if this has been answered but it piqued my curiousity.

I fired up the XP V2002 Home Edition with SP3 and it worked just fine as a webcam using Amcap.

I do have the SPCA 1528 driver installed.

Sorry if this all has been answered already but I tried

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Old news, but reading back thru the posts, I came across this. Sorry if this has been answered but it piqued my curiousity.

I fired up the XP V2002 Home Edition with SP3 and it worked just fine as a webcam using Amcap.

I do have the SPCA 1528 driver installed.

Sorry if this all has been answered already but I tried

Yabba
Thanks, Yabba... I'm about to go try to get mine to link up again. With a totally different video processor, I don't think the SPCA 1528 driver will help. It was already on my XP machine since I had to use it to mod the date stamp on my old 808 that used that driver.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Yabba... I'm about to go try to get mine to link up again. With a totally different video processor, I don't think the SPCA 1528 driver will help. It was already on my XP machine since I had to use it to mod the date stamp on my old 808 that used that driver.
Yeah but.......If Yabba can get it to work there's hope for EVERYbody else

I should have mentioned (you already know) 32 bit system but it did work prefectly.

Yabba
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:27 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
I happen to have my HD cam open, and the lens thread looks to be 6mm dia. (pitch uncertain). I'd sure like to find a direct screw in replacement that will reduce the vignetting, not a hacked one! If you come across one, let us know. In any event, if you do a hacked version, post that too and you may get the dubious honor of having the first link in my reserved Post #4 for "Frankencams"!
Thanks Tom! I figured it would be pretty small. A hacked version is probably the only way to get a wider angle lense close enough to the sensor to focus across the entire chip. But I think it would be worth the results. I will post pictures of it if I decide to start cutting it up. I think I might just go ahead and order another one to keep in stock condition

I've hacked up cams before to do interesting things to them, like attaching them to 1600mm f/6.3 10 inch diameter telescopes with great success. Here's one of my images with a hacked astro/webcam.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:48 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
Thanks Tom! I figured it would be pretty small. A hacked version is probably the only way to get a wider angle lense close enough to the sensor to focus across the entire chip. But I think it would be worth the results. I will post pictures of it if I decide to start cutting it up. I think I might just go ahead and order another one to keep in stock condition

I've hacked up cams before to do interesting things to them, like attaching them to 1600mm f/6.3 10 inch diameter telescopes with great success. Here's one of my images with a hacked astro/webcam.

Doug
Uhoh, I bet you just got Tom's attention. I noticed a pretty nice telescope in the video he posted when he finally got his camera

Yabba
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Tom, are you able to enquire with the vender about the possibility of powering the camera from the mains. Can they produce/suggest a suitable way to power the camera while allowing video recording to take place?

Thanks
Jiffy82517 is offline Find More Posts by Jiffy82517
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Jiffy, for that I would just grab a 12V lighter socket adapter and use the included car adapter. If you're powering from mains power, weight probably isn't an issue, right?
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Jiffy, for that I would just grab a 12V lighter socket adapter and use the included car adapter. If you're powering from mains power, weight probably isn't an issue, right?
This should work and certainly the easiest solution! I believe the secret to powering the camera while allowing it to shoot video at the same time is to resolve the inner connections of the two mini-USB plug data pins. I'm pretty sure it's something simple, like grounding one or both pins or perhaps connecting them together. If someone has a female mini-USB to male standard USB adaptor cord (or with unterminated wires), it would be easy to just measure continuity between pins to see what is connected to what. Then, any mains transformer with a 5V DC output could be adapted to plug into the cameras USB plug and appear to the camera just like the car adaptor.

My "HD Camera Guy" is the same eBAy vendor (power-gps) identified in the new eBay ads I posted for the new "emergency charger". He gave his email address in one of the posts, so anyone can feel free to email questions directly to him. Don't feel that I have to be the go between... better in fact if I'm not maybe, in case he has questions on what you mean. That happens frequently due to the difficult language differences. The only thing I'd ask is that you post anything of interest here so others can share the wealth!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Uhoh, I bet you just got Tom's attention. I noticed a pretty nice telescope in the video he posted when he finally got his camera

Yabba
Mine's not nearly as nice.. just 4 in. Celestron reflector. I have viewed Saturn's rings with it, though not nearly as clearly as the pic!.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:21 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Kinda OT, but I still remember the first time I saw Saturn's rings. It's an awesome feeling!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Closed Thread