Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:36 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-spin View Post
Andy,

Has HH thought about a forum in the Spectrum Community like Futaba has for there 12 and up radios.
Keep everything undercontrol for DX 8 owners. They would also see the problems and ideas directly .

Tony
No need - I'm here! I get to filter the comments from users and non-users alike!

I don't know what the plans are for the Community site.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:58 AM
Nuvolera (Italy)
Joined Jul 2007
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Hello Egidio.

There are no bug issues that have been reported for the DX8 at this point. As for future enhancements, I do keep a list. Right now it takes about 5 pages of a notebook - quite a list of suggestions! You may learn what many of them are simply by scanning the forums. We do not publish a list, because we do not want to make it too easy for our competitors to know what features people desire.

Andy
Thanks a lot, Andy, for your kindness.

I was a bit worried reading some posts, so, I needed a reassurance from you as a qualified Spektrum developer.
Obviously, the data of Customer's feedback are precious and I don't intend to force their publication, but I hope that Spektrum build upon and implement a great part of them in the next FW.

Ciao and thanks again,
Egidio
egicar is offline Find More Posts by egicar
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
One little bug on the DX8- the texture on the selector roller
On mine, I lightly scuffed, vertically , each segment.
Now , my thumb does not slip n slide when rolling selections
I am constantly sanding things (we build a lot ) so I have smooth ends on fingers n thumbs. Maybe this is not a common comment but I have had similar problem with my 9303s n Dx6i . If wishes were fishes - I would wish the rollers were textured like a diamond nail file
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:58 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy hanson View Post
One little bug on the DX8- the texture on the selector roller
On mine, I lightly scuffed, vertically , each segment.
Now , my thumb does not slip n slide when rolling selections
I am constantly sanding things (we build a lot ) so I have smooth ends on fingers n thumbs. Maybe this is not a common comment but I have had similar problem with my 9303s n Dx6i . If wishes were fishes - I would wish the rollers were textured like a diamond nail file
Yes!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
DX8's have been had the DSMX/DSM2 mode switchability all along - it's just that version 1 had the switch locked in the DSM2 mode and you couldn't change it or see the option. There has been no change to the protocol.

That's why it was only a download for the DX8. All we did is enable access to the switch. Pretty tricky, eh?

Andy
Vewy vewy twicky (Elmer Fudd laugh)...
Guess it's back to the old drawing board for me....As I said, my theory was more of a wild guess.

Two questions for ya, Andy...Does DSMX transmit in the same pulse (width) signal as DSM2? (not sure if that makes sense as I don't know the proper terminology for my question)
Confuzshuz is offline Find More Posts by Confuzshuz
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:59 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I saw on youtube where a guy was looking at what two frequencies the DSM2 tx and rx would pick when it scanned for open channels. What he found is that sometimes the two would pick two very close together which he seemed to think would, I think, loose some of the noise immunity that you get by having the two channels in the first place.
I would have thought that Spektrum engineers would have put some thing in the software to reject these combos and search for two that were father apart. This routine would be easy to code and would be best for all tx/rx systems looking to connect. So this would be good for DSM2 systems.
DSMX does psuedo random frequency hopping which is needed when you have more than 40 tx/rx systems trying to connect close to each other, like at big events. This makes the whole tx/rx link more complicated when not needed.
So can the DX8 be set to just use DSM2 mode, and how do you know it is locked in that mode if you can, is there a screen display?
Has Spektrum implemented software to reject frequency pairs that are close to each other to improve/maintain the best link, or has this not been considered because DSMX is the new thing.
I could see the tx/rx pair having problems if the tx was DSMX capable and the rx was not and the tx went to the 11ms frame rate due to a software bug and the rx could not understand the data in this format.
Without knowing what is done is software vs hardware only the Spektrum engineers can answer these questions and look to see if it could ever happen.
Maybe Andy can check, but not answer due to it being part of the Spektrum IP.
Sorry for the long winded questions/comments.
Need2Fly is offline Find More Posts by Need2Fly
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:04 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2Fly View Post
I saw on youtube where a guy was looking at what two frequencies the DSM2 tx and rx would pick when it scanned for open channels. What he found is that sometimes the two would pick two very close together which he seemed to think would, I think, loose some of the noise immunity that you get by having the two channels in the first place.
I would have thought that Spektrum engineers would have put some thing in the software to reject these combos and search for two that were father apart. This routine would be easy to code and would be best for all tx/rx systems looking to connect. So this would be good for DSM2 systems.
DSMX does psuedo random frequency hopping which is needed when you have more than 40 tx/rx systems trying to connect close to each other, like at big events. This makes the whole tx/rx link more complicated when not needed.
So can the DX8 be set to just use DSM2 mode, and how do you know it is locked in that mode if you can, is there a screen display?
Has Spektrum implemented software to reject frequency pairs that are close to each other to improve/maintain the best link, or has this not been considered because DSMX is the new thing.
I could see the tx/rx pair having problems if the tx was DSMX capable and the rx was not and the tx went to the 11ms frame rate due to a software bug and the rx could not understand the data in this format.
Without knowing what is done is software vs hardware only the Spektrum engineers can answer these questions and look to see if it could ever happen.
Maybe Andy can check, but not answer due to it being part of the Spektrum IP.
Sorry for the long winded questions/comments.
The plot thickens!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:53 PM
hendersonville TN
Joined Aug 2004
136 Posts
just got my dx8 back from its dsmx update so i tried it out with the 8000 rec all worked good but went you power it up for the first time the servos growl like its stripping servo gears until it finds center position then they are quiet. thats at 22ms hs81 servos the jr servo not as bad but as also moves abit until center is found. switched back to ar7000 rec in dsm2 and no noise and servos dont move at all when powered up. is this normal? sounds like all my servos are getting damaged ok just when back to the 8000 rec and binded it in dsm2 mode no servo grinding sounds on first power up but the servo arm does move a little then goes to center postion. so it does it only in dsmx mode
speedpro1 is offline Find More Posts by speedpro1
Last edited by speedpro1; Mar 03, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:41 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,522 Posts
Need2Fly,

You should read this post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=678

Paul Beard is one of the inventors of DSM and VP of Engineering for HH. His description will give you some more insight to DSM2/DSMX.

There is also some very low level RF stuff described in Horizon Hobbies patent submission for DSM. These are available on the web.
philipa_240sx is online now Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:55 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,865 Posts
Speed:

The small jump on powerup is normal. It has to do with the servo seeing noise on the lines until everything stabilizes. You'll find that in all makes and vintages of equipment.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:24 PM
hendersonville TN
Joined Aug 2004
136 Posts
thanks andy i wondered because with the ar7000 the servos will NOT move even a fraction. just with the 8000 they jump strange thing is the noise the servos where making with dsmx went away
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:33 PM
hendersonville TN
Joined Aug 2004
136 Posts
one more question andy .i put my lipo back in after the dsmx update any put it on charge i didnt think i had it fully charged when i removed it put the light came on for a second and then went out voltage on front shows 8.3 is that where the charge light goes off?
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:57 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Andy,

Please post the model file for the mCPX on the community website. Someone from HH said they would post it when the mCPX came out. Well, it's here.

Thanks
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:09 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I can make one for you real quick...it'll be the same as the manual (same as they would supply) until I can find out first hand what makes it how I like it
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:14 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I can make one for you real quick...it'll be the same as the manual (same as they would supply) until I can find out first hand what makes it how I like it
Thanks for the offer, I can program it too. But the whole idea is not to have to. When I got the umx 300 extra, I just loaded the file and flew. I thought that was pretty cool. True BNF.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof