HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Are you flying receivers that are a different brand than your radio?
Futaba - Futaba brand receivers only 1 1.37%
Futaba - Also using other brands of receivers 10 13.70%
JR - JR receivers only 3 4.11%
JR - JR with Spektrum receivers 12 16.44%
JR - Also using other brands (other then Spektrum) 1 1.37%
Airtronics - Airtronics brand receivers only 10 13.70%
Airtronics - Also using other brands of receivers 0 0%
Spektrum - Spektrum brand receivers only 4 5.48%
Spektrum - Also using other brands of receivers 13 17.81%
Other Brand Radio - Only using matching brand receivers 12 16.44%
Other Brand Radio - Using with receivers of a different brand 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 05, 2014, 04:21 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,472 Posts
Poll
What receivers do you use with your 2.4 GHz radio?

Question: Are you flying ANY 2.4 GHz receivers that are not the same brand as your radio?

I don't care if you do this with a module, or if the receiver is compatible with your radio's native RF system. How brand locked are we in our choice of receivers? Or how loyal are we in our choice of receivers?

If you fly Spektrum and have at least 1 non-Spektrum receiver that you fly with your Spektrum radio, then aswer yes.

If you fly Futaba 2.4 GHz and have at least 1 non-Futaba 2.4 GHz receiver that you fly with that radio then answer yes!

If you fly ANY Brand of 2.4 GHz radio and have at least one receiver that you fly with that radio that is not the same brand, then answer yes.

This includes BnF or TxR planes that have a receiver that is a different brand from your radio.

========================
In 2012 I ran a survey asking what RF system you ran in your radio. To date almost 400 people have responded. About 20% were using an RF system that was not the same brand as their radio.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732320

That was a time when many pilots were using module based radios and were buying modules that did not match the brand of radio they were flying.

For example, you might be using a FrSky 2.4 GHz module in a Futaba radio to gave you access to $20 to $35 FrSky receivers rather than $60 to $160 Futaba FASST receivers. FrSky's reputation is top notch so why not? There are other examples but this illustrates the point.

Some people, like myself, fly several different brands of RF systems with their radio. I have two Futaba 9C Super module based radios. I have a 2 Futaba FASST RF modules, a Spektrum DSM2 module and a Tactic AnyLink module. 3 Different 2.4 GHz RF systems. And I have Futaba, Spektrum, FrSky and Tactic receivers.

Now we have a growing range of "compatible" receivers. You can fly your Spektrum radio with the built in RF system but buy your receivers from Orange, Lemon and other sources. You don't have to use Spektrum receivers.

Likewise you can use Futaba FASST in your Futaba radio but fly another brand of receiver that is FASST compatible.

And there is at least one compatible receiver for Hitec AFHSS.

Hitec recently came out with the Aurora 9X which uses Hitec AFHSS receivers but also flies Tactic SLT receivers. So now you have a radio with a built in ability to fly another brand of receiver. ( kind like shift select in the 72 MHz days.)

And you can use the Tactic AnyLink or AnyLink 2 with almost any brand of radio, module based or not. You can be flying Brand X radio with Tactic SLT receivers, whether in TX-R planes or you can just buy the receivers to put in your planes.

This is getting very interesting.

So, what brand of receiver are you using? Do you fly any that don't match the brand of your radio?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 07, 2014 at 07:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2014, 02:17 AM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,759 Posts
I'm running a Futaba 12Z FASST system, with a combination of both Futaba receivers and many FrSky receivers. Never had any issues on either brand.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Apr 06, 2014, 04:21 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I'm running a Futaba 12Z FASST system, with a combination of both Futaba receivers and many FrSky receivers. Never had any issues on either brand.
Me too....absolutly glad. Never an issue and many times sailplanes flew really far away or hostile electronic enviroment....
ultimatetwo is online now Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Apr 06, 2014, 09:00 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
The drawback to 2.4 Gig radios is that often only proprietary receivers will work. When flying FM and 72 MhZ, we could buy different brands of receivers, and the competition kept the cost down... I have yet to see any other brand that will work with my Atx SD-10-G transmitter.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Apr 06, 2014, 09:10 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,882 Posts
Any way you can ,make the poll multiple choice?
I use :
JR X9303 transmitter with Spektrum, Deltang and Lemon receivers
XP9303 with FrSKy module and FrSky receivers
FrSky Taranis transmitter with Spektrum,Deltang and FrSKy receivers.

I guess I see no need for matching brands.
I use what I think is best suited for the task regardless of brand.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Apr 06, 2014, 10:19 AM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
414 Posts
I have a good supply of the AR400 & AR600 Rx's I use with my JR10X w/DM-9 module, so I'll stay with them as there has never been an issue so far. I have some Lemon Rx's coming as I will probably use them in my smaller warbirds & they have a solid following of satisfied users. I tried the FrSky with the DJT module when they first came out & after a while started having issues with range & reliable connectivity.....sold them all.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Apr 06, 2014, 10:51 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
All Hitec with Hitec here, except for the old Pro Lines I had converted to 2.4. They now use Xtreme Power Systems modules and RX.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini update on Kennedy Longhorn
Old Apr 06, 2014, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,196 Posts
I use Hitec also. How come that isn't a choice in your poll?

Is there some reason others do NOT choose Hitec?

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Apr 06, 2014, 05:45 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,472 Posts
Hummm, how did I miss Hitec??? Well I guess Hitec will have to go under the Other category because it won't let me edit the poll.

Sorry. Don't know how I did that.
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 09, 2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 05:46 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,472 Posts
FINALLY, some decent flying weather. Breeze 5-8 mph. 11 Guys with glider and a winch. 5 rounds of TD soaring. Fantastic.

After the contest I pulled out my electric fuselage for my Supra. After trimming I maidened my electric Supra 3.4 meter glider. Had it about 2200 feet high and about 1500 feet out for a great 15 minute first flight. Glorious.

My point? FrSky 8 channel receiver running the Futaba FASST protocol talking to the Futaba FASST module in my radio. Flawless! I now have two FrSky FASST receivers in contest class gliders.

Oh what a beautiful day!
Old Apr 06, 2014, 05:51 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The drawback to 2.4 Gig radios is that often only proprietary receivers will work. When flying FM and 72 MhZ, we could buy different brands of receivers, and the competition kept the cost down... I have yet to see any other brand that will work with my Atx SD-10-G transmitter.
I have not seen any receivers running the Airtronics protocol BUT you can attach an AnyLink2 to your Airtronics radio and use Tactic receivers.

Anylink2
http://www.tacticrc.com/anylink/anylink2.html

AnyLink2 Compatibility Chart
http://www.tacticrc.com/anylink/anylink2-chart.html

Includes Airtronics®

SD-5G, SD-6G, SD-10G, Vanguard 4FM, 6FM, RD6000 Sport, RD6000 Super, RDS8000, Radiant 6FM
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 07, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2014, 06:55 AM
west suburb of cleveland oh
Joined Nov 2004
189 Posts
have 2 futaba 9c have 3 modules xtreame power systems and matching rx
spektrum dx2 module with hobby king orange rxs and lemon rxs
and a assan system with matching rx
all with no problem
don
dvk44039 is offline Find More Posts by dvk44039
Old Apr 07, 2014, 07:48 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,472 Posts
Don and pmackenzie,

You both fly multiple protocols. I am curious how you use the modules/FR systems.

Do you have a main 2.4 system? Do you have a preference of any particular 2.4 system/receiver combination for any particular purpose? Or are the uses based on which you had first.

For Example,

Futaba FASST is my main 2.4 GHz system. I use this for most of my flying which is primarily large TD sailplanes. I have 6 Futaba and 2 FrSky FASST receivers. I have an Orange FASST that I have not tried yet.

I also have 2 Futaba 72 MHz modules for those planes still on 72 MHz with Futaba, Hitec and berg receivers Probably another 8 total there.

Spektrum - I was planning to go all Spektrum at one point with my 9C Supers but there was a period of a year or more when you could not get the modules, so I went Futaba FASST in 2012 when I went to the NATs.

I did finally get one of the Spektrum DSM2 modules but I use it primarily for BnF micro planes. I do have other Spektrum receivers. One in my Radian RTF that I use with a DX5e and two more that are not in planes but will probably replace 72 MHz receivers in slope gliders so I can fly them with the DX5e.

Anylink I use solely for TX-R planes.
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 07, 2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2014, 09:38 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
7,813 Posts
Frsky Module in a Jr XP9303 and a FrSky Taranis transmitter with only FrSky ACCST receivers
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Apr 07, 2014, 07:18 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Don and pmackenzie,

You both fly multiple protocols. I am curious how you use the modules/FR systems.

Do you have a main 2.4 system? Do you have a preference of any particular 2.4 system/receiver combination for any particular purpose? Or are the uses based on which you had first.

For Example,

Futaba FASST is my main 2.4 GHz system. I use this for most of my flying which is primarily large TD sailplanes. I have 6 Futaba and 2 FrSky FASST receivers. I have an Orange FASST that I have not tried yet.

I also have 2 Futaba 72 MHz modules for those planes still on 72 MHz with Futaba, Hitec and berg receivers Probably another 8 total there.

Spektrum - I was planning to go all Spektrum at one point with my 9C Supers but there was a period of a year or more when you could not get the modules, so I went Futaba FASST in 2012 when I went to the NATs.

I did finally get one of the Spektrum DSM2 modules but I use it primarily for BnF micro planes. I do have other Spektrum receivers. One in my Radian RTF that I use with a DX5e and two more that are not in planes but will probably replace 72 MHz receivers in slope gliders so I can fly them with the DX5e.

Anylink I use solely for TX-R planes.
I went with FrSky for my DLGs when Spektrum was having big problems with their stuff. (AR6250, the only suitable DLG receiver was recalled)
I already had an X9303 native 2.4, but just did not trust it with $1000 air-frames.
FrSky at the time was used by some top pilots with no issues, so that is what I went with. Didn't hurt that it was less expensive that Spektrum.

Spektrum seems to be working fine now with their current line up, but then so is FrSky, so I see no reason to change to a more expensive brand.
I can transfer models from my XP9303/Frsky setup to an X9503 Spektrum one that a buddy flies and not even have to retrim the model. This to me demonstrates the quality of both the JR transmitters and the Frsky system.

On the other hand, for my indoor foamies, outdoor 3D models and helis I use mainly native Spektrum. Even in my relatively slow X9303 it is a faster system than FrSKy.

I do have a Spektrum module for my Taranis radio, but still have not been able to get the sticks firm enough to match the feel I get (and need) to fly indoor F3P with the Taranis.
Same goes for my DLGs, I like stiff springs, and the Taranis is just too soft.
I have some stiffer springs on order, plan is to use the lighter FrSky transmitter for DLG at least if I am happy with the stick feel.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie