HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb View Post
Yes, that would be Lew McFarland of Lexington, KY. Lew left us in 2011.

Chatted online with GMA once about him catching a competitor's stunt plane in mid-air when the fellow's engine quit while inverted. George said that no contest was worth not helping a friend.

George
Yep!
I don't think he was a big Combat fan. I recall him writing me once that he was flying a demo "combat" match around the time the Flite Streak kit was introduced to promote it- may have been at the Nats. He said the other pilot came up and around in a banzai charge maneuver and he couldn't get out of the way in time. "He took the whole outboard wing off my pretty Flite Streak and that was it for me"!
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Last edited by JKinTX; Aug 09, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:14 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
772 Posts
The rest of the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
Yep!
I don't think he was a big Combat fan. I recall him writing me once that he was flying a demo "combat" match around the time the Flite Streak kit was introduced to promote it- may have been at the Nats. He said the other pilot came up and around in a banzai charge maneuver and he couldn't get out of the way in time. "He took the whole outboard wing off my pretty Flite Streak and that was it for me"!
George brought two prototypes with him to that Nats, powered by the latest Fox Combat Specials. Sid Meier insisted that he enter combat, the event, which he'd flown some in competition when it was first added to the schedule, several years before.

In the match in question, he had the prettiest looking of them, the one on the box that the ARFs copied, in the air at the time. I don't think it was the only match he flew that day, but as you told it, the result soured him on competing himself after that.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi