HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:28 PM
United States, NJ, Mt Holly
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
Discussion
E-flite retract problem

Picked up a set of the 60-120 size main gear retracts by e-flite. One is a tad faster and stronger than the other. Is this normal? Horizon Hobby says that it's ok, just want to be sure if anyone else has the same issue.
eobie is offline Find More Posts by eobie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
As an update I have tried both mounted and mounted, with and without a y cable. Same results.

Other than that it still gets a full lock up and down.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:11 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
901 Posts
I have a couple of pairs of these and they are relatively uniform, although you will get some variation.

The biggest factor I have seen is from the rather rigid alloy frame. I there is any skew in the mounting that places load or torque in the frames then the system will drag. You can easily check this by loosening the mounting bolts and trying again. If you find the slow unit speeds up then you will have to correct that problem by ensuring the mounting pads are flat and absolutely parallel. You can also check where the extension lifts the gear such as when you have the plane inverted to see if that has any effect.

I see you have tried yours unmounted, so unless the difference between units is substantial, then you may have to see how it goes.

NOTE. Sometimes it takes a while for units to "Wear In". If the trunnions are dragging in the slots or the machining was just a tad tight that could account for it.

p.s. Having said the previous I have found the need on one or two units to shave a touch off the attack side of the end point switches on the main board to allow the trunnions to travel further to enhance the up and/or down lock. If the trunnions stop a considerable distance from the end of the slots then you are not taking full advantage and may not be in a good mechanical lock at all.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Last edited by Cougar429; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
I have a couple of pairs of these and they are relatively uniform, although you will get some variation.

The biggest factor I have seen is from the rather rigid alloy frame. I there is any skew in the mounting that places load or torque in the frames then the system will drag. You can easily check this by loosening the mounting bolts and trying again. If you find the slow unit speeds up then you will have to correct that problem by ensuring the mounting pads are flat and absolutely parallel. You can also check where the extension lifts the gear such as when you have the plane inverted to see if that has any effect.

I see you have tried yours unmounted, so unless the difference between units is substantial, then you may have to see how it goes.

NOTE. Sometimes it takes a while for units to "Wear In". If the trunnions are dragging in the slots or the machining was just a tad tight that could account for it.

p.s. Having said the previous I have found the need on one or two units to shave a touch off the attack side of the end point switches on the main board to allow the trunnions to travel further to enhance the up and/or down lock. If the trunnions stop a considerable distance from the end of the slots then you are not taking full advantage and may not be in a good mechanical lock at all.

I'm getting full locks, up and down. Will give it some time to see how they work out. The speed is not that much of a difference; maybe less than a second. It actually looks better. I guess I was worried about a failure.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
Maidens the plane and all seems well...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:49 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
901 Posts
Any pics or video?
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:31 AM
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
When I get home I can shoot a video
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:31 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
516 Posts
The E-Flite retracts can draw more current than rated. This is a result of binding.
The peak current is drawn when the brass cross "T" is on the steep part of the side plate slots.
Rating was 900ma, and we measured in excess of 1.5A on some of the mechanisms.
Repositioning the side plates in respect to each other may help. A small amount of lubrication on the side plate cam slots and screw drive can also help. Slightly rounding the peaks of the cam slots, polishing the cam surfaces, and rounding a sharp edge on the inside of the side plates can also help.
If you are using a LiPo for powering the RX and the gear via an ESC or regulator, I'd suggest using a second regulator to power the retracts only. I will say that four or even five cell NiCads or NMIH batteries may be inadequate, particularly if they are not fully charged.

The full scale plane your plane is modeled after may have the main gear moving slower on one side.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75