HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:46 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Wow just wow...Sorry but this looks so much like a Stumax EDF Unit, looking at the blade and spinner design, I just can't believe it...

Sure I am happy that our Chinese mates made our hobby more affordable and got some guys actually to jump on the Jet Bandwagon or Propeller driven planes and provide us with cheap batteries and electronic equipment, but this and in that powerful yet dangerous size?

Look in my personal opinion...I would never ever buy something like this,knowing that some people may not have the budget to buy a Stumax, Bob Violet, Tamjets EDF unit just to name the expensive ones, ok then they can but may also risk their lives or possible injuries to them and others?

Also for that so very reason above all, you may put all the high class edf engineers like stu or tam out of business and then what?

The Bigger I go with my Jets the more I invest into Quality Electronic components, and that starts already in the 80mm Class of Jets!

I think it is a nice approach but again copy cat strikes once again and this time around it hit Stu

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:04 AM
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
520 Posts
As far as I know the CS fas have a good track record at being pretty toigh
and durable. I have never heard of one blowing up either. I didnt mean
to get some people upset about this new fan, just thought I would share what's
coming out. I also dont believe this fan is going to put anyone out of business, I
own several of Tams units and other high end units and will continue to support them
but its nice to have a cheap good sounding fan in one of my cheaper planes.
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:42 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
of course it's not going to put anyone out of business. the market is always open to both ends of the buying spektrum. does Rolls Royce put Chevrolet out of business? of course not, because they are marketed at two different classes of consumer. there's no difference here. let's also face the fact that Stu did not come up with this blade shape and neither did anyone over in china. just look at all modern airliner fans and you start to see that this design is nothing new. it was simply "copied" by EDF manufacturers because of its obvious benefits. so, for that reason, do you get offended that Stu copied Rolls Royce with a sickle shaped blade for better noise supression? I highly doubt it.

at the same time, I'm not defending the Chinese here, because they can be downright cutthroat. they've obviously seen something that's good and made their own version of it. copying is the highest form of flattery and means you've done something right in order to be copied. let's just hope that these fans are better quality and won't blow up at the first sign of higher power being put through them.

if the fans are good, this will only make the hobby better, not worse. Ron or Neversommer might be able to afford a Stumax where flip flop and I might not be able to. but now, we can have a fan that sounds a lot like the fan that NS and Ron have in their planes. let's face it, none of us want fans that sound like pissed of mosquitoes and me and flip flop have been stuck with those fans while NS and Ron have being flying cool sounding planes. finally, we can have some redemption and have something that sounds as cool.

the bottom line is, Stumax, TJ, etc, etc won't even see a dent in their sales over these fans. you guys are simply overreacting to nothing. the guys that already buy from these companies will continue to do so. the Chinese are simply offering a cheaper alternative and offering it at the cheaper market. I'll even guarantee that some of you Stumax users will end up buying one of these fans, but you'll still buy Stumax when he brings out new stuff.

trust me guys, this is a good thing for our hobby. not a bad thing at all.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:02 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
[QUOTE=Extreme_RC;19560899]I would be more inclined to use the 700-68-1400 in the fan, it will be more torquey and likely give you better numbers overall.

Do you think using the 700-68-1400 will get the amps below 100? That would be nice to have light weight set up - 90mm, 8S, and 100A ESC.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:03 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
After watching the YouTube video, it strikes me that the fan sounds "bigger" than a 90mm if you follow me. That is a good thing.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:21 AM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
"Like"
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:33 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,427 Posts
Looks like a cheap A$$ copy to me........Not planning on supporting a cheap made with No customer service EDF Company.

As far as I see things, US & Canada should ban all copy cat products made over seas, There is companies out there that spend lots of $$$$ developing new technologies and for somebody else to steal it.....Well that's just wrong.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:45 AM
Team Horizon/ BVM jets
Joined Apr 2006
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
looks like a cheap a$$ copy to me........not planning on supporting a cheap made with no customer service edf company.

As far as i see things, us & canada should ban all copy cat products made over seas, there is companies out there that spend lots of $$$$ developing new technologies and for somebody else to steal it.....well that's just wrong.
+1...
pbusa1400 is offline Find More Posts by pbusa1400
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:59 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,494 Posts
These blades look nothing like Stu's, Tom's, Schubie's etc. It has an odd bend at the tip, and the trailing edge angles are like nothing I have seen. I think it was just a stab in the dark looking at existing blade designs, and unless you get really picky you are going to be within 5%-10% of everything else made.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:04 PM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
923 Posts
Lets cut one down to an 80...
keithtsr is online now Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:09 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
Quote:
looks like a cheap a$$ copy to me........not planning on supporting a cheap made with no customer service edf company.

As far as i see things, us & canada should ban all copy cat products made over seas, there is companies out there that spend lots of $$$$ developing new technologies and for somebody else to steal it.....well that's just wrong.

+2...
Ron101 is online now Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:12 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
We all know this sort of thing is going to happen ad infinitum so there is little point getting emotional about it. Those who believe in quality products will buy them regardless of whether there is a cheap option available...
The Chinese have been proficient in "good enough" quality and performance in this hobby.

The "good enough" has placed the hobby in hands of people who wouldn't think about it before now.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:24 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
The Chinese have been proficient in "good enough" quality and performance in this hobby.
The "good enough" has placed the hobby in hands of people who wouldn't think about it before now.
Well guys, then ALL of the public better be ready for only "good enough" when the real developers have had enough of their hard work being ripped off. You aren't going to see cutting edge if the designers with the talent can't get a return on investment because of being undercut by "good enough".

Jim; you are right, the actual blade is a "resemblance only" to a Stumax.....however there has evidently been every effort to copy the blade retention as well as the exact spinner shape and design.
They couldn't even be bothered to re-profile the spinner.

Not your problem? Good for the consumer? Just remember that when YOUR job winds up undercut by cheaper copycat "competition let us just not hear any crying.
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Last edited by Mike Warren; Oct 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:26 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
551 Posts
"The Chinese have been proficient in "good enough" quality and performance in this hobby.

The "good enough" has placed the hobby in hands of people who wouldn't think about it before now."

Are you saying thats a good thing or a bad thing, I for one realize that diversity in the market is the most important thing over everything else.

Maybe we should start building planes with 12 wings because i'd hate for people to see my plane and assume its a copy of someone else's

you guys need to get over it, I spend good money on this hobby and I see plenty of people out there who can't afford to spend what I spend and i'm very happy that someone is catering for them, if your to selfish to see that then that's your problem! (also note that if this fan turns out to be good then I will buy them for my cheaper airframes)
lightningmcnul is offline Find More Posts by lightningmcnul
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:32 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
551 Posts
Jim knows that his job will always be there because he produces quality at a good price, and guys building $3000 edf's will spend the money on his fan's etc.

This fan is for the guy who just spent all the spare money he's had for weeks on a 90mm foamie who will love it despite its obvious quality issues, all you guys who are complaining won't buy this you will buy from the high end manufacturers and what you should be doing is taking pride that your dollars are going towards developing things for EVERYONE to enjoy!
lightningmcnul is offline Find More Posts by lightningmcnul