HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
681 Posts
Help!
8FG DLG Programming

After looking all around and still not really sure of whats what, I am gonna just ask here. I need help with my 8FG DLG programming. I have Cruise, Speed and Thermal{i think} down. I can't seem to figure out how to assign for a launch preset. I was hoping people could spell out what flight conditions are most to least important/priority. I am new to DLG. I am hooked on it,but need some help. Spell it out to me like I am a simpleton. Thanks!
NorCal Hobbies is online now Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:10 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,532 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354018 - Older firmware, but perhaps still useful. Hard to say for sure. You could try it and see if it loads up and works for you. It is the program I use - just change the numbers as needed to match your plane.

Suggestions on that part of the process (the what, not the how):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441098

Gerald

PS - I know this is not exactly what you are asking for. I just don't have my transmitter with me right now so I can't look up the answers.
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Last edited by G_T; Sep 17, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
I have 8FG in hand right now. I use SF for launch preset using 2 prog. mix:
Master SF;
Slave Rud;
act ON when SF is toward me; >+20 in my case
act OFF when SF is away from me; >+0
The same for elevator.

The 3 conditions is set in SE. Priority doesn't matter because it is a 3 position switch, so one for each condition:
Normal = cruise = Blank (SE in the middle);
Distance = Thermal = SE (toward);
Speed = Speed = SE (away).

I could have use Condition Start as launch preset. Then the priority would have to be set accordingly.

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Last edited by tai626; Sep 17, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
681 Posts
Thanks guys.

Tai, the beginning part I am completely lost. Can you explain a little more clearly?

Keep it coming!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
model menu - prog. mix - 1;
Go to Prog. Mix 2/2:
#1 act off SF (SF away from you)
#1 act ON SF (toward you)
Master SF
Slave Rud.

Go back to prog. Mix 1/2:
Full triangle---- >+20 ( Toward you)
>+0

Try or call me on 202-5957 area code in my screen name.

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:36 PM
Joined Feb 2007
681 Posts
Thanks Tai! I am learning here for sure. Pleasure talking to you. I just need to find the place to look to adjust the amount of elevator for my launch Preset. I can't seem to find it.Will keep looking.

- Found the adjustment in the trim mix tab.Woohoo!
Last edited by NorCal Hobbies; Sep 17, 2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: found the answer!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:46 PM
SE Michigan
Joined Dec 2007
174 Posts
I just use elevator trim tabs while holding down launch switch. Same way I adjust elevator presets for all the flight modes. Far easier to adjust between flights than trying to program each elevator preset.
rwait is offline Find More Posts by rwait
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
681 Posts
man! thanks! excellent shortcut tip!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:04 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,532 Posts
Does anyone know if the firmware updates for the 8FT over the past year have changed the interface much? If there is no real change, then sometime in the next few days I'll go through my program and post details of the setup. IF there have been notable changes though, it is probably not worth the effort.

Gerald
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,792 Posts
I've installed all the latest updates and can't remember any notable changes in the UI. Bring on your setup details. I'd like to peruse them...
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:13 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,240 Posts
I've updated to the version 3.0 firmware. All of the interfaces were the same. Not much changed for us glider guys. Main things I can remember is you get a couple more pre-programmed mixes, and a couple more programmable mixes. You also can change a bunch of other little things that previously werent available, like the warning beeps at start up can be disabled. From my understanding it also turns it into the 14ch 8FG super, so you get a few more channels too
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wrong Skywalker
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:01 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,532 Posts
Sounds like most of that won't matter for our setup... Ok, I'll provide a writeup. But sorry it won't be tonight or probably not tomorrow night. Was cutting metal for the CNC machine earlier and will be doing a little more welding after work tomorrow.

Gerald
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:11 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,211 Posts
The latest update is 4.1 but I don't think that will change your setup...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:55 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Oct 2009
139 Posts
On my T8FG I use the SA switch for Start. Towards me = Start, in the middle and forwards = nothing.

I don't use Trim mix for adjusting the rudder/elevator preset, too much trouble. Instead I use separate trims in every flight condition for rudder and elevator = Linkage menu, T1-T4 SET, change the mode to SEPAR. (in my case, the elevator trim is T2 and the rudder is T4). This allows to change the trims in every flight condition for what is needed, fast and easy.

I hope this makes some sense...

Tommy
Tommy Wee is offline Find More Posts by Tommy Wee
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:34 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Hobbies View Post
After looking all around and still not really sure of whats what, I am gonna just ask here. I need help with my 8FG DLG programming. I have Cruise, Speed and Thermal{i think} down. I can't seem to figure out how to assign for a launch preset. I was hoping people could spell out what flight conditions are most to least important/priority. I am new to DLG. I am hooked on it,but need some help. Spell it out to me like I am a simpleton. Thanks!
Go into CONDITION in the Model menu. You'll see a list of available "conditions" which JR and others call "flight modes". There are 5 conditions available: Normal, Start, Speed, Distance and Landing. By selecting the different fields on this screen you can assign each condition to any switch position and you can move the conditions up or down in the list to set up their priority (lowest priority at the top of the list, highest priority at the bottom). I put Normal, Speed and Distance on a single 3 position switch with Speed pushed away from me, Normal in the center and Distance pulled toward me. These condition names mean nothing (I think you can actually change their names in the 12FG which would be great, but you can't on the 8FG). My SPEED condition is actually my Launch settings, Normal is normal and Distance is my thermal settings. The actually settings for these conditions ARE NOT set or adjusted in this menu. This menu is only for setting up the conditions.

Launch preset is assigned to the Start condition on the momentary switch (which I moved over to the left top-back spot) but the condition is moved down the list to the bottom so it will override all the other conditions. This means it will always go into launch preset regardless of what mode the plane is in. This is not necessarily what YOU might want. But the Launch preset condition has to be below your Launch condition in the list. If you want to defeat the launch preset in the other modes (normal and thermal) then leave those modes below the launch preset.

Now go to the TRIM MIX menu also in the Model menu. In this menu you can adjust the wing camber or reflex for each of the conditions by clicking into each flight mode and selecting each aileron servo and dialing in some offset. You can also add elevator trim to each condition, but I don't use this, I set up T1-T4 SET to take care of this.

In T1-T4 SET in the Link menu you can set up how your trim tabs will work. I set up the Aileron and Rudder trim mode to "COMB" so if I need to trim either of those surfaces it does it in all the other modes. My ailerons never really need any trim if wing is twist free and the camber settings are set up correctly, but if it does need a little trim in one mode it probably needs the same trim the other modes too, imo. The rudder is constantly trimmed throughout a hot day as the wires or strings stretch. I can look at my rudder and see when it's drifted off center and can trim it back to center and have that propagate through all modes also. The elevator trim is set to "SEPAR" so each flight mode has it's own elevator trim setting. Now just fly the plane in each mode and trim the elevator for how you want it to fly. You can also just hold down the momentary switch and add or subtract elevator trim (while holding the switch!) to quickly adjust your launch preset... no need to get into menus to do that.

That should set you up with 3 flight modes and a launch preset.

Hope that helps.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch