2,427 Posts
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:25 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Well I got back from Europe last weekend and made a little progress before heading to Canada. The aileron servo’s and connecters are now soldered. After spending some time agonizing over it, I came up with a simple installation for the elevator servo, using a pushrod going under the wing.

I also got the rudder and fuselage painted.

It is really close now! Except I need to go to Louisiana!
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:40 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Almost There!

Made more progress.

The graphics (from Callie) are on, the canopy is cutout with a pilot, and the fuse and fins are glued in place.

I just need to connect the aileron servo's to pushrods and do a little work on the cockpit.

I am off to Louisiana tomorrow. Hopefully it will be done next weekend.

Happy flyin'

Greg
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:37 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
914 Posts
G,

Are you still going to do the group buy later?

Can't wait for the flight report.

Still have not flown my Jart LT......waiting for the wind to come back.

LP
Slope P is online now Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:40 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Hi LP,

I will definitely set up a group buy, probably near year end. I will keep you posted.

I will definitely post a flight report, hopefully next week.

Enjoy the Jart LT! It is a blast!

Greg
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:41 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Flight Ready

Need to finish the cockpit but it is now flight ready!

Maybe Tuesday
Greg
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:31 PM
k2k
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2003
428 Posts
Greg - looks great. Good luck with the maiden.
k2k is online now Find More Posts by k2k
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
We made a couple of handlaunches. The plane definitely wants to fly and looks majestic in the air, but a couple enhancements were required;

There is now a wood block for screwing in a bungee hook. This will simplify getting it in the air.

The simple servo rails broke loose so I made a servo tray.

The battery is now held inside a simple box.

A magnet holds the canopy in place against a wood screw, a trick from my friend Andy.

I made a simply cockpit, nothing like K2K's, but it adds some pizzazz!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Successful first...hops

After corresponding with Ken (k2k) and Brigitte at modellbaumuder I re-hinged the elevator to give 45 deg total travel.

I then had a couple successful short flights, really just hops down a big grassy hill (Awesome video thanks to Gérard):

Fauvel1.AVI (0 min 11 sec)

Fauvel2 (0 min 17 sec)

The first couple tosses (not shown) confirmed Ken's observation that some down trim is required to maintain speed. Despite the size of the wing, this thing wants to fly fast. Once it gets nose up speed bleeds fast and lateral stability drops.

Even with an expert downhill toss (from Bob who knows all), the plane really wants to initially balloon up on release. It takes full elevator travel for a little while to get the nose back down, at which point there is very little flying speed. Then, if you don't hit the ground, it flies quite nice and stably. Most important, it looks really great in the air.

As you can see from the second video, once it hit ground effect it kept going and going...I tried to put it down before I ran out of grass and it just kept flying, resulting in some PIO.

Regrettably the last hard landing (preceeded by 4 more) finally knocked the servo tray loose so I made no further progress.

I am flying with a CG of 25% as recommended. I may move that a little forward to reduce the PIO. Alternatively, I may not need all that down elevator travel for normal flight. At 22.5 degree down, the elevator probably has less to do with true flying and more just acts like a speed brake dropping the nose. So maybe I will put full down travel on a flap switch when needed and fly normally with less elevator travel.

Can't wait for the next test. Regrettably it will be a few weeks...

I gotta say this is one tough bird and looks great in the air!
Last edited by Greg Beshouri; Sep 28, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:26 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,427 Posts
Greg
Good to see it fly. It does look as if a little forward on the CG would be a good idea.
For information the the full size AV36 uses half the down travel as it has up travel on the elevator and is also very prone to PIOs at low speed. Somewhere on the net (can't remember where right now) there is a discussion on the why's and wherefores of it all.

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:48 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Hi Gordon,

This is very interesting.

Actually I need a lot more down than up, at least on launch.

Good to know I am not the only one struggling with PIO.

Greg
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:59 PM
k2k
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2003
428 Posts
Greg –

Nice roller coaster ride. My maiden wasn’t any better, it just started at 800’ and lasted longer. Both of our planes seem to share the same lack of elevator authority once the nose pitches up. These are definitely not like Weasel and such which are exquisitely sensitive to elevator. I misinterpreted the mushy down elevator response as a tail heavy condition and added a lot of nose weight which of course did not help. The trick seems to be to keep the airspeed up to maintain good control authority and aggressively get on down elevator if the nose starts to pop up.

Ken
k2k is online now Find More Posts by k2k
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:15 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2k View Post
Greg –

Nice roller coaster ride. My maiden wasn’t any better... The trick seems to be to keep the airspeed up to maintain good control authority and aggressively get on down elevator if the nose starts to pop up.

Ken
Well I am glad to hear I am in such excellent company!

I fully agree with both your points; fly fast and the shove the nose down hard if it starts an uncommanded pitch up.

My extremely limited experience suggests that if you keep up speed the speed up and the nose down it is a real nice flyer.

Thanks for all the help Ken!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:12 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
And for all you Fauvel die hards, here is the prequel....

Fauvel maiden throws (0 min 43 sec)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
It Flies!

I brought my Fauvel to the 2012 Los Banos Scale Aerotow contest to see if Ken (a.k.a. K2K) could help me sort it out.

We exchanged notes and observations while he flew his beautiful Fauvel. It seems that despite the size difference they fly rather similarly. The slope lift was a bit iffy but Ken took me to a place where the lift was good (if a little inconsistent), the slope was steep, and it was pretty easy to bail!

Ken put up an Easy Glider to track the lift an then my buddy Gerard (a.k.a. expedition photographer) tossed it off the edge of the cliff into the abyss and…..it flew! Rather nicely I must say! Trim was quite good and the plane was quite controllable.

Ken and I took turns flying it while Geard shot some photos and video (to follow). A flight evaluation will also follow.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement Ken!