Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
I've looked at this motor too.
There are two problems:
How could it be mounted into the EDF housing? I would think that reversing the shaft and somehow using the motor's mount into the motor housing may do the trick. Perhaps glueing it in.
The other issue is that for a small EDF, like a 30mm or even 35mm, the KV rating is fairly low. You would need to run it at least 4S and I would say perhaps even higher.

Of course my doing so you could use much smaller batteries and just run them in series. ie 4x 120Mah.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2011, 08:36 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,365 Posts
Slaanesh,

As to mounting the outrunner. Not really an issue. I can modify the mount to fit the housing. Or make one. Haven't really looked at it yet. Also, as pertains to the kv rating, you are no doubt more knowledgeable than I. It's just that many if not most of the edf outrunners listed at HK have kv ratings close to this. Those ratings are what I was basing my assumption that this motor would be okay.

Here is an image of how the latest build is progressing, and one of the modifications to the motor and edf unit.

The motor has a threaded pushrod adapter mated to the shaft to allow the rotor to thread onto the shaft. The modified housing showing the intake lip removed. The 6 blade rotor less three blades. The other image shows the fuselage sections.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old May 20, 2011, 05:29 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Coming along nicely giuseppi.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 20, 2011, 11:30 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,216 Posts
Thanks for th answer, and now another surprise, the cover sections!!!!!!!!!! nice
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old May 21, 2011, 10:28 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,365 Posts
All but the rear fuselage section assembled.

g
Old May 21, 2011, 09:45 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,365 Posts
...and a bit more.

g
Old May 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,365 Posts
Some more.

Some of the nacelle sections still need the centers removed. The rear section will have a thrust tube installed. Cone Layout was used to design the thrust tube. A circle cutter is used to remove the material for the fan ducting after the nacelle sections are formed and assembled.

The thrust tube was printed on plain printer paper. After its formed and installed in the nacelle it will receive a coating of WBPU for stiffening and adhesion.

g
Old May 22, 2011, 05:30 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Lots of work there Giuseppi! She's going to look great.
Old May 22, 2011, 06:29 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Lots of work there Giuseppi! She's going to look great.
Thanks, NC. I'm trying to document each step. Hope I'm not being too rudimentary.

g
Old May 29, 2011, 11:03 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,365 Posts
Thought I'd better post on the progress, although as much as I hate to admit it things aren't going as well as I'd hoped. I'm already @ 45g for the empty airframe w/o the tailplane installed. My objective was 25g to 30g.

I intend to complete this one as I feel I'm on the right track and am gaining some valuable experience.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding a third cell to the battery pack, though I'm not sure how the motor will bear up. It's only meant for a single cell and I'm afraid I was already pushing it running it on 2 cells. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9068

Comments/suggestions are welcome.

g
Old May 29, 2011, 05:30 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
If you have the skills to tune a fan up, I would suggest the 6 blade venturi style AEO 30mm unit. That will give you the static thrust to push a heavier model without loading the motor or lipo down too much like the 8 blade version would.

If you don't mind spending a little more money - the KP32 unit is a little screamer and would have the power you are looking for too.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 08:18 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Nice canopy! Looking very HE-162 now. I like the Vac-U-Form!
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:37 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
Nice canopy! Looking very HE-162 now. I like the Vac-U-Form!
Thanks, Slaanesh. I'm gainin' on it.

g