HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,070 Posts
Well, heck. I'll just have to call them when I am ready to build a night plane. I'de love to have a system that just mounts on the SFGs. I can snake the wires through the ribs one out the root. I used to hate to have to drill holes in the planes and tape down wires and all that crap. I want something that lights it up like a Christmas tree but is a clean install too. I hate having the inside of the plane look like a rat's nest. These systems look like they are pretty clean.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:17 AM
"I like pancakes!"
Michigan
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Yes, it is a nice clean install Doc. I just sent Alex an email to find the selling price. Once I get a reply I'll be sure to get back with you guys.
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,070 Posts
I loved night flying, but I have not had time or resources to put together a plane since I switched to Extreme Flight. I used the old Hobby King LED tape strips, which was all we had then, and those would permanently disfigure the plane. You stick them on and had to live with them forever because pulling them off would tear up the covering. I just couldn't bring myself to do that to a plane as nice as an EXP, so I have been waiting for a clean system I can take on and off.

I was sort of waiting for the Pantera to build one of those up for night, but now I think it will be an Extra EXP because I've got four of them! If I can get something together I might haul ass up to SEFF and shoot for sunset, fly all night and then haul ass home.

My third club is Sarasota Silent Fliers, and every Thursday we cook out, combat and night fly. It's an awesome bunch of guys and we alweays have a blast, but I have not been able to get down there as often this last year. I miss all of those guys and if I had a night plane that would motivate me to drive down there more often.

There is talk of us having a combination electric fly-in/ night flying festival there about late April or so. Right about then the temps are perfect and the wind is zero, so if that event happens I gotta be ready to rock out.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,780 Posts
...it aint EF, but it was a labor of love and a test of patience:

Burned Retina
501 LEDs, all internal
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:06 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post

Burned Retina
501 LEDs, all internal
That thing is awesome! Sure had to have taken a good bit of time putting all that in.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post

Burned Retina
501 LEDs, all internal
Good work buddy.. Looks awesome !!
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
That thing is awesome! Sure had to have taken a good bit of time putting all that in.
Time was immeasurable... doubtful I will ever do it again. My stomach turns when I realize how much time was spent on this one.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,072 Posts
Ordered a motor box kit for the 64'' MXS, i don't need it at the moment but it's nice to have on hand.

I'll take pics of what comes in the kit when i get it.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
"I like pancakes!"
Michigan
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I loved night flying, but I have not had time or resources to put together a plane since I switched to Extreme Flight. I used the old Hobby King LED tape strips, which was all we had then, and those would permanently disfigure the plane. You stick them on and had to live with them forever because pulling them off would tear up the covering. I just couldn't bring myself to do that to a plane as nice as an EXP, so I have been waiting for a clean system I can take on and off.

I was sort of waiting for the Pantera to build one of those up for night, but now I think it will be an Extra EXP because I've got four of them! If I can get something together I might haul ass up to SEFF and shoot for sunset, fly all night and then haul ass home.

My third club is Sarasota Silent Fliers, and every Thursday we cook out, combat and night fly. It's an awesome bunch of guys and we alweays have a blast, but I have not been able to get down there as often this last year. I miss all of those guys and if I had a night plane that would motivate me to drive down there more often.

There is talk of us having a combination electric fly-in/ night flying festival there about late April or so. Right about then the temps are perfect and the wind is zero, so if that event happens I gotta be ready to rock out.
Having a plane set up to night fly is nice. It does open it up to where you are no longer limiting your flying time to when the sun is up. We are also going to light up Jase's blue 104" extra with a 20watt kit. I have a 3.1m Comp-arf SuperXtra which will possibly have 50watt'ers on it as well.

...for those that have not seen this, here is a video my wife shot of Jase flying his 110" Yak on the 3D line at Joe Nall this past spring.

2012 Joe Nall night fly - Jase Dussia (9 min 23 sec)
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Ordered a motor box kit for the 64'' MXS, i don't need it at the moment but it's nice to have on hand.

Its a lot of parts, my 48 mxs motor box contained everything forward of the tube. Even the g10 plate.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post

Cool Hone1er, I'd like to see what all it comes with for sure.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
invertedruss
Joined Jan 2010
73 Posts
has anyone used the os gt 60 im thinking about get one i need some input please
invertedruss is offline Find More Posts by invertedruss
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:48 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,042 Posts
For all of you Extreme Flight owners, there is a phoenix session "EF 3D RC Airplanes" so dust off your transmitter, get out your simulator, and come fly. Download the shuriken scheme "Red Black" -- it is inspired by the EF Extra scheme.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:32 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,044 Posts
looking at getting my first balsa 3d plane. i have a twisted hobbys epp ive been practicing on. also have a 47" osiris on the way, thatll be my first balsa plane.

which EF plane would you guys recommend as a first 3d balsa? was looking at something in the 48 or 60" exp series.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
looking at getting my first balsa 3d plane. i have a twisted hobbys epp ive been practicing on. also have a 47" osiris on the way, thatll be my first balsa plane.

which EF plane would you guys recommend as a first 3d balsa? was looking at something in the 48 or 60" exp series.
Pick a color you like and order.... all kidding aside I've owned the 48" MXS, 48"edge, and 60" edge. If you could afford a 60, and possibly a replacement airframe... because its not if but when, I would go for a 60" as bigger is easier. Edge is probably the easiest of the EXPs, but all are real close as far as ease of flight. If not... the 48" is a excellent platform to build your balsa skills on... I started with the 48". Others will probably break down each airframe for you shortly. Good luck.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes