JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JeffMac; Mar 31, 2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: duplicate
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2014, 08:33 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
Thanks JeffMac, I appreciate it. That is a nice explanation of what it does.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Mar 31, 2014, 08:40 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
262 Posts
Earl you're welcome...

I think I've seen an engine similar to the one you pictured in the AMA museum.. It may be a Gil..

Best regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:42 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,606 Posts
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Mar 31, 2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: duplicate post!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:44 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,606 Posts
[Ken Croft (a.k.a. "krafty") would probably know ]
"Krafty" helped A&J Hobbies Ltd to identify their modified sample:
http://www.ajhobby.com/defaultpage.a...re+and+Unusual
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:49 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,049 Posts
Speaking of engines that date from the Jurassic period, here's some interesting paperwork for the 1935 "Little Giant" which I spotted on eBay a month or so ago. I questioned MECA Bill who in turn quizzed Tim Dannels and here is Tim's reply "As it happens I have that same brochure. Also I uncovered an engine by accident. Several years ago a dude in the Chicago area sent a couple of low resolution photos of an engine he had that his father bought way back when. Comparing with the brochure, it was the same make. I corresponded for a bit trying to get photos I could use, but no luck. He finally just quit the conversation and we never got far enough into it to see whether it was the big or smaller one" Thanks to M.E.C.A. and Tim Dannels for the actual engine photographs
Twin Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin Stack
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:44 PM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
312 Posts
Krafty would know about the carb on the Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack View Post
Ken Croft (a.k.a. "krafty") would probably know
Sorry for this late reply re the Knight carburetor. I have all but given up on forums.
Yes Krafty does know, those pictures of the Knight are mine, of the engine I restored and ran.
The answer to how the carb. works, is not very well, in fact I made a replacement choke tube and spray bar just to get the engine running properly. But how is is supposed to work is quite simple. The conical valve is held onto its seat by a very light spring. The small hole that admits fuel into the engine is actually in the seat that the conical valve sits on, and when the engine is static the valve seals off the fuel flow. As the engine runs air is sucked in under the valve which is then lifted by the air flow and uncovers the fuel jet. The idea is that the more air is drawn in, so the valve lifts more and lets more fuel in. The fuel to air ratio is altered by screwing down [or up] the screw that alters the spring pressure on the valve. The reason it doesn't work at all well is that once the valve is off its seat there is actually very little to limit the fuel flow.
Just for fun I will attach a pic of the Knight running on my simple carb, and for those who like horror stories, a composite pic of the original Knight piston/rod assembly. Note the tiny size of the piston pin. Yes, I did replace the whole assembly with something that worked!
krafty is offline Find More Posts by krafty
Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:21 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,606 Posts
Thank for the clarification Ken!
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
Krafty, thanks for the info.
Yeah I sorta figured that the primitive spring loaded valve was not very good as it doesn't provide a mechanism to help atomize the fuel. So it tends to pool around the valve and maybe only the fumes or vapors would run the engine. But when too much fuel fills up the basin then it starts to flood the engine out. It sort of has one wondering if it really ever worked originally or not.

That gudgeon pin on the connecting rod is pretty pitiful. I can see you making a new piston and rod for it in that case.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Yesterday at 10:08 AM. Reason: add more info
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
I had acquired this cute engine from Reginald. Reggie converted a OS .15 engine to spark ignition. Thank you very much Reginald. He did a really nice job of it too. For example the points holder frame is very nicely done. Plus he cleaned and painted the engine really well with a two component paint baked in the oven.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Yesterday at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,329 Posts
Here are some pics of the raw casting of the frame as it comes out of the sand leaving a lot of work to be done before the frame is finished, filing, turning, tapping, polishing... The large blob is the entrance of the mold and the other end is the overflow. I also make them in aluminium in which case I do fit 2,5mm stainless steel Helicoils in the threads. I have 3 frame sizes.
I use the Delft clay method. You have ser.nmbr. 028 the very last one I did last year.
I did run-in the engine when still on glow.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty View Post
Sorry for this late reply re the Knight carburetor. I have all but given up on forums.
Yes Krafty does know, those pictures of the Knight are mine, of the engine I restored and ran.
The answer to how the carb. works, is not very well, in fact I made a replacement choke tube and spray bar just to get the engine running properly. But how is is supposed to work is quite simple. The conical valve is held onto its seat by a very light spring. The small hole that admits fuel into the engine is actually in the seat that the conical valve sits on, and when the engine is static the valve seals off the fuel flow. As the engine runs air is sucked in under the valve which is then lifted by the air flow and uncovers the fuel jet. The idea is that the more air is drawn in, so the valve lifts more and lets more fuel in. The fuel to air ratio is altered by screwing down [or up] the screw that alters the spring pressure on the valve. The reason it doesn't work at all well is that once the valve is off its seat there is actually very little to limit the fuel flow.
Just for fun I will attach a pic of the Knight running on my simple carb, and for those who like horror stories, a composite pic of the original Knight piston/rod assembly. Note the tiny size of the piston pin. Yes, I did replace the whole assembly with something that worked!
Interesting to see the amount of work they went to in making the piston rings!
Imagine the drag from those two thick rings!
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Today, 05:30 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
What are these

Hi all I'm a long time reader of lots of threads on RCGroups but first time poster! I have recently inherited a engine collection and I cannot identify what these two ignition engines are do they look familiar to anyone? Thanks
RCAV8TER is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8TER