HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:38 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Modifications so far courtesy of other forum users. So thanks to them!
The first picture shows the 24cm alloy tube reinforcing the wing halves.
The second picture shows how the wing halves look when seperated.
The third shows how the carbon fibre rod has been extended as far as possible to the wing tip. I did this by sliding a smaller diameter carbon fibre rod inside each end of the stock rod supplied. Although the smaller rods were a tight fit i did soak the whole join in thin cyano to try and avoid the main spar splitting when the wing flexes under G force.
The channels for the entended wing spar were made with a basic soldering iron. I used a metal ruler as a guide to keep the line straight.
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Last edited by Jam1e; Oct 18, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:47 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Teddy, have a look at this video (about 1.25 min mark onwards) and you will see this cg machine in use. It appears that the plane is placed on the small ball tipped "feelers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QUIVMGsxcU
The little 'feelers' are actually at a right angle to, and at the zero point of the calibrated horizontals. Those 'feelers' extend up in front of the wing to locate the leading edge above the zero point of the calibrations. The horizontal runs back, under the wing, through the plastic piece supporting the wing, where the distance from the balance point to the leading edge can be read. Hope that makes sense. If not I do have a camera. It would probably have saved quite a few words.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
And now you have crossed over into rude. When someone doesn't do what you want them to do why would you post something like that. I take back my post. But, do you best to let this one go. You'll sleep better at night.
AJ
In my book it is not rude. It just is what it is. I am sorry. Don't worry about my sleep. Really... not necessary.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:12 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post

Actually, I am working on a tekkier version. Basically, a small pair of identical wood squares with one hole in each (just slide 'em apart to fit the plane); a couple of 1/8" dowels just long enough to hold the plane off the deck, & planning to trim the tips down to around 1/16" to contact the wing as small-ly as possible, & each with a seamstress-type tape measure attached that you just pull forward to read where the rod tips are resting, relative to the leading edge. For each new plane, eg ones with landing gear, just make another set of upright rods so it also will just barely clear the deck - the base(s) are adjustable by merely positioning. And it'll all fit in a quart-size ziplok bag for takin' to the field.

I have one other trick up m' sleeve I ain't tellin' just yet. (Actually, it IS m' sleeve!) I'll show&tell when I get it all done....I think it's pretty slick & would bet nobody's thought of it!

(Howzzat for a teaser?)
I am sure I can find another spot on Page #1 for you (along with all the rest of your good ideas).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:17 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Motor choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
Thanks AJ,
I wanted an easy to fly relaxing model for a change. So going on all the imput on this thread i've picked the right model.
However, me being me, it will have around 35amps of "ooompth" as they say! I've had to strengthen up the airframe and it will obviously be a little heavier than stock, but thats ok with me.
All the mods so far are down to the great ideas from other people on this thread. So thanks to them!
Picture of stronger hinges used and fibre tape to reinforce control surface hinge. Excuse the poor picture main camera is broke..
Based on the fine installation of that hinge, I don't think you will need much help from all the guys on page #1. But, make sure and read posts #2 & #3 in case there are some good ideas that you might want to use. What motor were you thinking about using?
AJ
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:17 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:31 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Based on the fine installation of that hinge, I don't think you will need much help from all the guys on page #1. But, make sure and read posts #2 & #3 in case there are some good ideas that you might want to use. What motor were you thinking about using?
AJ
Thanks AJ.
Going with a Turnigy i have lying about at the moment after my Funjet died
Motor Size: 2835 (380S)
Speed: 3900kv
ESC Required: 40A
Voltage Range: 6~12v
No Load Curr: 2.0A
Max Load: 40A
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
284 Posts
Here is my $5 (literally)CG machine I built fashioned after the Great Planes one. If you don't glue the sections of the PVC pipe together, it is completely adjustable and collapsible to take to the field. I have my rulers setup for inches, but easily could be set to mm. The plane balances on 2 round head machine bolts. Very gentle on foam wings. I have a list of materials and dimensions and prices from a local Lowes around here somewhere if anyone is interested. I love working with pvc tubing and you may have seen my Thrust Machine I built out of PVC in an earlier post. I also used the 2 dowels in the 2x4 but the darn thing kept falling over and then went "high tech"

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Apr 2011
285 Posts
Quote:
Your right FP, this guy thinks they are flaps but his configured them as spoilers, oh well I am sure that eventually he will work it out.
I followed that thread with the powered glider. The guy was new and didn't know which way the flaps were supposed to go. What's amazing is that within a few weeks of that, this plane was set up with flaps and crow, what a fast learner. He's well into giving good advise at this stage.
Just shows by following the information in these threads, how quickly one learns!
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:16 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
AJ, when you do fit the EK2-0704 to your SkyS can you please take a few photos and give some details on the installation.
This is how I did mine on my EZ*
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:19 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Nicely done. Well timed. Up close and personal landing. Pay your wife $100 for the video. That is a terrific flying field. What was the switch doing that I keep hearing click on and off?
AJ
Him opening his beer cans. Counted 7. Not too shabby for a short flight.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
Thanks AJ.
Going with a Turnigy i have lying about at the moment after my Funjet died
Motor Size: 2835 (380S)
Speed: 3900kv
ESC Required: 40A
Voltage Range: 6~12v
No Load Curr: 2.0A
Max Load: 40A
That motor will definitely tear up the sky the same as it did in your funjet.
AJ
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:33 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Yes I will send you the one I have, especially now that his on his road trip, he won't realise what has happened until he reaches Florida.BTW SH thinks that its a beer carrier that he is driving but its a horse float
It was a 32 foot trailer and I drank took out 1/2 the beer. That's why in my original post I said I loaded a 16ft trailer.
Truck doesnt leave until late Friday night.
Took a test run down by StarBummer's house to see how it handles. Didn't stop in, he's still recovering from the Hurricane.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:38 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Him opening his beer cans. Counted 7. Not too shabby for a short flight.
I thought that it was an elevator mix of some kind. But, I like your explanation better.
AJ
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:47 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Thanks AJ. Money is no problem as you know I'll just put it on Gene's Card but I am still undecided. I have just completed building Ron's CG machine and hopefully that will do the trick, time will tell. I am looking forward to your flying the SkyS videos.
I think GENE's installation above pretty much covers the visual of a basic installation. Then, you would be ready to read to learn about gyros. HERE is a basic course and an EXCELLENT video about using gyros. it is a really good tool to learn all about gyros. Enjoy.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 18, 2011 at 07:07 PM.