HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hoppy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
26 Posts
Storing charge

I have a "store" program on my charger. I can't remember the exact voltage reduction but that will surely be a safe storage amount for them. I did not realize that I should not be leaving them fully charged. After I was done flying for the day I always recharged so I was ready for the next time. So if I understand this right... even if I'm not using them for a couple of days I should put them on store charge?
AMOS5 is offline Find More Posts by AMOS5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:28 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,280 Posts
At least under 4v/cell for short term storage.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:32 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOS5 View Post
I have a "store" program on my charger. I can't remember the exact voltage reduction but that will surely be a safe storage amount for them. I did not realize that I should not be leaving them fully charged. After I was done flying for the day I always recharged so I was ready for the next time. So if I understand this right... even if I'm not using them for a couple of days I should put them on store charge?
Most chargers will charge or discharge to 3.8 or 3.85 volts/cell in storage mode. I tend to charge mine to 3.9 and it falls back a bit. At 3.9 it's also a little quicker to charge.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:31 PM
Airlady
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
( WallWart ) Idea
I am experimenting with charging ideas thinking of adding a load resistor and zener diode last will be a Led multi diode that turns green when ready off my wall wart
This is a final one way lock style it will not allow over charging ...
Airlady is offline Find More Posts by Airlady
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlady View Post
( WallWart ) Idea
I am experimenting with charging ideas thinking of adding a load resistor and zener diode last will be a Led multi diode that turns green when ready off my wall wart
This is a final one way lock style it will not allow over charging ...
What your final aim is, is not clear. Are you talking about bringing an overdischarged cell up to 3 +/-V or about charging to 4.2V?

If you are proposing a 4.2V charger design, be very careful and think about all the the what ifs. If it were that simple, manufacturers would be offering items with that circuit design. They however all use CC (constant current)/CV (constant voltage) circuitry.
Chargers are just too cheap to risk a fire using non-lipo chargers. Several members have used precision DC power supplies where the max voltage could be set very accurately but even they have had problems with voltage variations and the practice has been dumped.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Mar 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Most chargers will charge or discharge to 3.8 or 3.85 volts/cell in storage mode. I tend to charge mine to 3.9 and it falls back a bit. At 3.9 it's also a little quicker to charge.
My charger puts it at 3.80/3.81. This is gonna stink trying to keep up with remembering to go charge before I fly. I'm just used to keeping them charged and ready for every weekend! Oh well if it will save some money then it'll work.
AMOS5 is offline Find More Posts by AMOS5
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,562 Posts
I buy a bunch of cheap zippys, charge after a session and always have them all ready to go. Have had some for years and will hold full charge for weeks. If what I have been doing results consistently in the same lifespan of new batteries, then I am happy.
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
Airlady
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
Good Mornig Everyone
I posted my Idea
It does work

Hoppy I could even desighn a variable voltage charger if I want to I really am into electric electronics big time

I have been working with electronics for over 30 years

Many years back I desighned a remote to Replace ( original Dng Dong Bell ) Click Type on a big vacuum tube type Old Zenith Tele's my pareents had in their living room It was heavy and basically a piece of stupid furniture
I like doing electronics
Just last night I was making a remote for my RC heli ( Variable )

I worked for my uncles TV radio , appliance store for a long time

Life is too short

All i was trying to do is share a idea with the orig OP

Hoppy Sorry I upset you
Have a nice day
Last edited by Airlady; Jan 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:06 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,280 Posts
Not upset Airlady, just trying to caution the ones who don't have a thorough knowledge of electronics from hooking up some components and starting a fire because they didn't realize that lipos are non-forgiving of overcharging.

The forum is visited by members of all ages and skill levels and many would say I definitely err on the side of caution giving warnings and precautions because I assume they aren't up to speed as a starting point.

There is a forum for DIY electronics you might be interested in. http://www.rcgroups.com/diy-electronics-199/
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
Airlady
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
Thank you
Much appreciated
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
So nice!Tks for your kindly share。
Lightman2012 is offline Find More Posts by Lightman2012
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined May 2011
3,272 Posts
New Thunder Power Paks

Just received new TP 45C paks. Do I cycle the batteries, and then storage charge them in a cool place...wont be flying until May!!! Or Leave them!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:31 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,280 Posts
Check cell voltages - they should be right around 3.85V/cell and within +/-0.02V. If they are not contact the vendor and report this to him.

If the packs have good voltages, you can just leave them at the 3.85v/cell in a cool place like a refrigerator.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:19 AM View Post
susan2012
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2007
239 Posts
Is there a way to discharge one cell of a 6 cell battery?
I have 2 new nanotech 6s 3000mah after charge voltage is
4.19 4.19,4.20,4.20. 4.18, 4.30
Both batterys have 6 flights on them. Are they toast or is there hope to save them?
graniteguy is offline Find More Posts by graniteguy