New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by phanivyas
India, Telangana, Hyderabad
Joined Nov 2014
23 Posts
Just uploaded the firmware file from the link to my APM board. No issues while loading.
phanivyas is online now Find More Posts by phanivyas
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by JWilliams2
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
I've not had a cap "lower" my voltages at all on any of my full sized APMS and I ALWAYS add a 3000uf cap on the input rails.
Nice. I guess I can pick up something from radio shack in the 3000 uf range as long as it's rated to at least 16V (I run 4S)?

How much current can I move through JP1? I am probably going to ignore power from the power module and splice a BEC into it PLUS use a capacitor on input. Currently I have JP1 enabled because my ESCs are all BEC-less anyway, but I am going to put a servo on the output rail, pulling juice from the BEC (I know the APM Power module is clearly not for servo use). I then need to choose from:

1) Keep JP1 and power the output rails only, so the APM is receiving power through JP1
2) Keep JP1 and power on input side with the BEC spliced into the PM, and the servo getting power from the output rails
3) Keep/don't keep JP1 (doesn't matter if connected or disconnected), power on input side with BEC spliced into PM but ALSO with a second splice directly to the servo, so the servo is pulling straight off the BEC as well

In 1) & 2) the capacitor is also helping with the servo, and it's not in 3). 1) seems easiest, and minimizes splicing, but if I blow JP1 if it has a low current max, I'd lose servo (who cares really), but still maintain motors, right?
Quote:
I just lowered the voltage on my Buck Converter until the lights (blue and red) on the apm went out and it shut off at 3 volts.
JWilliams2 is online now Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by GLADUS63
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,370 Posts
You should buy "low ESR" capacitor rated at 25v for 4s.
GLADUS63 is offline Find More Posts by GLADUS63
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by TheQuestor
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
4,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADUS63 View Post
You should buy "low ESR" capacitor rated at 25v for 4s.
25v is not needed when used on the input rails as it should never go above 5.5v

Also Radio Shack is out of business so getting them from them will be rather hard

I've used both types "Low ESR" and standard caps and they both perform the same.

If you power from the PM port or input rails remove the jumper.
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by Robert_AU
Australia
Joined Jul 2012
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2 View Post
Nice. I guess I can pick up something from radio shack in the 3000 uf range as long as it's rated to at least 16V (I run 4S)?
The capacitor goes across the 5V line and needs rated to a higher voltage so a 16V would be good. Do not connect the capacitor to your battery. Electrolytic capacitors must be connected with the correct polarity first time - don't expect a second chance.

Quote:
How much current can I move through JP1?

Quote:
I am probably going to ignore power from the power module and splice a BEC into it PLUS use a capacitor on input. Currently I have JP1 enabled because my ESCs are all BEC-less anyway, but I am going to put a servo on the output rail, pulling juice from the BEC (I know the APM Power module is clearly not for servo use). I then need to choose from:

1) Keep JP1 and power the output rails only, so the APM is receiving power through JP1
2) Keep JP1 and power on input side with the BEC spliced into the PM, and the servo getting power from the output rails
3) Keep/don't keep JP1 (doesn't matter if connected or disconnected), power on input side with BEC spliced into PM but ALSO with a second splice directly to the servo, so the servo is pulling straight off the BEC as well

In 1) & 2) the capacitor is also helping with the servo, and it's not in 3). 1) seems easiest, and minimizes splicing, but if I blow JP1 if it has a low current max, I'd lose servo (who cares really), but still maintain motors, right?
If you blow JP1 it is unlikely that your APM will survive. When it comes to powering the APM, you need to decide on your own priorities and make a choice. Over the history of the APM threads best practise approaches have varied along the opinions of the posters.

You shouldn't be powering a servo from the APM in any configuration. In normal operation a servo might have a low enough current draw to get away with it. However, there are abnormal circumstances where a servo can draw a much higher current, taking the APM out in the process. This is another area where you have to make your own decision, understanding that there is an increased risk of damage and making your own assessment of whether those risks are acceptable.

I did power a tricopter tail servo from the output rails, while powering from the output rails, when I first set it up and was just running some test flights. I was bit a bit lazy and just wanted to get in the air quickly. Nothing bad happened. After the testing, I took a few minutes and set the servo up with a separate power supply, deciding that a few minutes work to eliminate a potential cause of failure was worth effort.
Robert_AU is offline Find More Posts by Robert_AU
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_AU View Post
The capacitor goes across the 5V line and needs rated to a higher voltage so a 16V would be good. Do not connect the capacitor to your battery. Electrolytic capacitors must be connected with the correct polarity first time - don't expect a second chance.

If you blow JP1 it is unlikely that your APM will survive. When it comes to powering the APM, you need to decide on your own priorities and make a choice. Over the history of the APM threads best practise approaches have varied along the opinions of the posters.

You shouldn't be powering a servo from the APM in any configuration. In normal operation a servo might have a low enough current draw to get away with it. However, there are abnormal circumstances where a servo can draw a much higher current, taking the APM out in the process. This is another area where you have to make your own decision, understanding that there is an increased risk of damage and making your own assessment of whether those risks are acceptable.

I did power a tricopter tail servo from the output rails, while powering from the output rails, when I first set it up and was just running some test flights. I was bit a bit lazy and just wanted to get in the air quickly. Nothing bad happened. After the testing, I took a few minutes and set the servo up with a separate power supply, deciding that a few minutes work to eliminate a potential cause of failure was worth effort.
Wait, if the power supply is just hooked up to the rails, why would that affect the APM? The current should go from the battery through the rail to the servo, right?

How do you set up APM planes? Run the signals to the APM and the power wires somewhere else?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by JWilliams2
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
3,022 Posts
Oops, yes that was an obvious oversight from me--I'm putting the cap on the rails not the battery, so ~5V would be fine! I'd grab that $2 capacitor from hobbyking but don't want to wait until next year. I imagine a spektrum brand one or similar on Ebay should work, too.
JWilliams2 is online now Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by GLADUS63
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
25v is not needed when used on the input rails as it should never go above 5.5v

I've used both types "Low ESR" and standard caps and they both perform the same.

Of course for the 5V.
Low ESR have better filtering but may not be necessary for power brown out.
GLADUS63 is offline Find More Posts by GLADUS63
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by TheQuestor
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
4,933 Posts
Quote:
Oops, yes that was an obvious oversight from me--I'm putting the cap on the rails not the battery, so ~5V would be fine! I'd grab that $2 capacitor from hobbyking but don't want to wait until next year. I imagine a spektrum brand one or similar on Ebay should work, too.
I normally order 10 or so at a time off Ebay

3300uf 16v are pretty cheap
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by jakestew
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_AU View Post
You shouldn't be powering a servo from the APM in any configuration.
QFT! Do not power servos through the APM's regulator. Always tie a 5v supply directly to the servo power rails.
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Today, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by marbelo
Brazil
Joined Jan 2014
324 Posts
Hi fellows,

I did some RTL testing after updating my APM to the last firmware, all worked good. Check the video!

F450 + APM 2.6 Gimbal and RTL Test (2 min 39 sec)

I'm keeping a build log of his quad HERE

Regards
marbelo is online now Find More Posts by marbelo
Old Today, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by arizona98tj
Joined Oct 2014
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
Good luck going back to 3.1.5 cause i tried it on 2 boards and it bricked both of them..I had to use a avrisp mk2 programmer to restore the atmega2560 boot loader to bring them back to life.....All i did was use MP and select "Load custom firmware" and it erased them then during the upload process they bricked...Not sure if it has anything to do with me using XP or not ..
I rolled back to 3.1.5 after having used the 3.2 something for several months. It was a nice clean install....no problems. FWIW, it was done using a Windows 7 netbook (not exactly a power house type PC) and Mission Planner.
arizona98tj is offline Find More Posts by arizona98tj
Old Today, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,831 Posts
I also rolled back to 3.1.5 after installing the latest and greatest with Mission Planner and Win7.

No issues.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Today, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by GuInHoW
Brazil, AL, Maceió
Joined Mar 2013
139 Posts
Hi guys i have an apm 2.6 on a f450 quad and i will replace my chinese motors. I'm using a 30a rctimer esc with simonk. Which is the best setup, my 30a esc + sunnysky 2212 980kv (4s) or dji e310 kit?
GuInHoW is online now Find More Posts by GuInHoW