Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by Sky_high76
Joined Jul 2016
3 Posts
Discussion
Newbie Getting in to FPV need help

Hey guys first off I am a newbie I'm looking for a Fpv system that don't break the bank they are so many out there I don't know which ones to buy any help would greatly appreciated. Here's just a few I'll am looking at Thanks

CAM

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-EF-0...p-1064301.html

Goggles

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-EV80...p-1053357.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html
Sky_high76 is offline Find More Posts by Sky_high76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2016, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
1,416 Posts
The problem with the goggles you listed is that they have an integrated receiver. These budget receivers do a fine job at close range but you may later find yourself wanting to push the limits a bit and will want better gear later.

Better to get just goggles like Headplay or Quanum v2 goggles and add a higher quality receiver.

That camera is a cam used on nano FPV setups. Mostly for flying around the house and your yard. That camera will fail you on a normal setup after flying a mile or so.
parajared is offline Find More Posts by parajared
Old Jul 29, 2016, 04:28 PM
Joined Jul 2016
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply OK let say i have $150.00 to spend what would you Recommend for a first timer if i need to spend a little more then i will
Old Jul 29, 2016, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Edward McRichy
FPV Newbie
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jan 2016
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_high76 View Post
Thanks for the reply OK let say i have $150.00 to spend what would you Recommend for a first timer if i need to spend a little more then i will
This has everything you need, other than the camera and antennas, I have the goggles, receiver and antenna.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mera_PNF_.html
Edward McRichy is offline Find More Posts by Edward McRichy
Old Jul 29, 2016, 05:45 PM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward McRichy View Post
This has everything you need, other than the camera and antennas, I have the goggles, receiver and antenna.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mera_PNF_.html
I would not recommend Quanum V1 due to the poor screen resolution. Personally I have had great success with Quanum V2 sold currently for $27 but on backorder. The "Quanum Pro" currently selling at $37 looks good but I have not had any experience with it.

I would toss one of those more expensive Immersion rc receivers on there if you want 5.8; I have had great success with the ReadyMadeRc 1.3ghz receiver if you want 1.3.

"pico cam" is surprisingly good and really easy to use because you can tack a small piece of Velcro to the bottom and that's all that is needed to hold the 5 gram camera to the plane. The image is ashen and not very vibrant.

Although it isn't a very popular camera I really like the picture quality of the Foxeer XAT1200m I like it better than the much more popular HS1177.

Also consider using a HD recording camera like Runcam 2, Foxeer Legend 2, or Firefly Q6 as your flight camera with a few caveats.
1) Caveat #1 it's expensive and will blow to bits if you crash (unlike pico cam)
2) Caveat #2 it's heavy (45 grams compared to 12 grams on the Foxeer and 5 grams pico)
3) Caveat #3 it tries to yield a "pretty" picture instead of a functional picture. Your sunset flight will focus on bringing out those vibrant colors losing visibility of the ground (with foxeer and pico the ground goes ashen color and you get a grainy but still usable image)
Old Jul 29, 2016, 05:47 PM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
1,416 Posts
Here's what XAT 1200m looks like:
I attempt mountain surfing with FPV mini-Talon (3 min 9 sec)
Old Jul 29, 2016, 06:21 PM
Joined Jul 2016
3 Posts
OK all the numbers change on the screen is that the altitude and How far you or out I really like that set up
Old Jul 29, 2016, 06:46 PM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
1,416 Posts
3.3 on the top of the screen is miles from where I initially launched

80 on the left of the screen is 80mph

the 3700 on the right of the screen is feet above where I initially launched.