Old Jul 20, 2016, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by sdelaroq
France, Upper Normandy, Rouen
Joined Jan 2014
821 Posts
Mini-Review
XK X100 - The sub-micro CP quadcopter

It's been a long time I'm looking for a CP helicopter I would be able to flip and roll in my living room: I found it!
It's technically not a CP helicopter, but it really behaves like one. Additionally I'm a CP helicopter pilot and I will use it as a CP helicopter (no 6G mode ). This is why I post this mini-review in the CP helicopter section.
Moderators if you don't agree I will move this thread to the quadcopter section.

It is available from GearBest as a RTF with the XK-X4 Tx or BNF if you already own a X6 or a Futaba S-FHSS Tx:
- RTF: http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_358531.html
- BNF: http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_333053.html

From the description, it's like a CP Heli but without its drawbacks: perfect pirouette compensation, long fly time, not as fragile, can take off and land inverted. Is this true?

1 - Test flights

I now have my indoor flyer: this quad can be flipped in an extremely tight space.
XK X100 Bedroom Inverted (1 min 3 sec)

Beware I was not able to fly so precisely with the RTF kit Tx. I now exclusively use the X6 which is really good and only misses a timer in my opinion to be a great Tx.

And it is a great outdoor flyer.

XK X100 Outdoors, flips, rolls, crashes (3 min 13 sec)

2 - Unboxing (RTF)

The X100 and its Tx went through half the world in one piece: great and secure package.
Name: IMG_20160614_160600.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 290.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_20160614_160617.jpg
Size: 288.7 KB
Description:

The box content. One more battery would have been great.
Name: IMG_20160614_160724.jpg
Size: 321.9 KB
Description:

3 - Conclusion

This is a really great micro flyer that can complement a sub-micro CP helicopter (it can replace it if like me you are short on time and want to fly instead of tweaking). It has the power, it has the ability to fly inverted (with typical 5 channel setup: Throttle-Pitch-Aileron-Elevator-Rudder), it is stong and easy to setup and repair because of the reduced number of parts (motors, blades, frame, battery, flight controller). The only drawback compared to a CP helicopter is that it has the shape of a quadcopter and I don't yet got all the orientations. I have to work on that
sdelaroq is online now Find More Posts by sdelaroq
Last edited by sdelaroq; Jul 20, 2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added outdoor video
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2016, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by Thickfog
United States, MI, Charter Twp of Clinton
Joined Dec 2015
827 Posts
Bought one for the exact reason. I like it, but it's not all that more durable than my xk k100. More gentle on the house for sure and no large main blades to kill. So that's good. But the frame....

If broken 2 of them. Killed a motor and ripped an arm off on one (separate incidents). And cracked another arm on my other. Not fully ripped off, but starting too be. The arms are very flimsy on these little guys.

Gonna stiffen them up with carbon rod and epoxy.
Thickfog is offline Find More Posts by Thickfog
Old Jul 23, 2016, 04:55 AM
Find More Posts by sdelaroq
France, Upper Normandy, Rouen
Joined Jan 2014
821 Posts
Good idea to stiffen the arms! For now I didn't break any but bent two. I straightened them right after the crash and could fly immediately.
I don't own a k100 but some other micro helis (hcp60, hcp80, n-cpx) and I'm still surprised I didn't have to replace a single part on this x100 since I have it!
And yes is is really more gentle to walls and furniture : no more black stripes everywhere!
sdelaroq is online now Find More Posts by sdelaroq
Old Jul 24, 2016, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by Thickfog
United States, MI, Charter Twp of Clinton
Joined Dec 2015
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelaroq View Post
Good idea to stiffen the arms! For now I didn't break any but bent two. I straightened them right after the crash and could fly immediately.
I don't own a k100 but some other micro helis (hcp60, hcp80, n-cpx) and I'm still surprised I didn't have to replace a single part on this x100 since I have it!
And yes is is really more gentle to walls and furniture : no more black stripes everywhere!
you should see what my xk k100 did to my wood mantle! Not a gentle beast.

I bought 4 of these x100s on sale. I'm gonna work on arm stiffening and see if we can't make the perfect indoor heli trainer!
Thickfog is offline Find More Posts by Thickfog
Last edited by Thickfog; Jul 24, 2016 at 07:12 PM.