Old Jul 18, 2016, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by Mike_Then
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
8,979 Posts
Question
Retract/strut recommendation for ~14 lb. airplane

Hi guys, I have been struggling with the rear retracts on my Freewing F-14. There is a lot of slop on the gear itself and the struts don't have strong enough springs to support the weight of a ~14 lb. airplane. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good electric retract that can support a plane of this weight? I checked the "Comprehensive retracts thread" but the first post hasn't been updated in almost three years. The only things I came across that could fulfill what I need are linked below, but is expensive. Any other recommendations are appreciated - thanks in advance!

Strut - http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...lg511100#close

Retract - http://www.horizonhobby.com/60---120...etract-eflg500
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F-14 resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2016, 08:55 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
8,979 Posts
I also came across this - Robart Straight Robostrut maximum 15 lbs. - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES94&P=7
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
5,830 Posts
RoboStruts will even work loose after a while...You have to keep pushing the scissor stops out to keep the struts tight...

Mike---If you don't like the spring rate on the struts, go to a hardware store and buy some springs...If you take apart the strut you will see that there's a dual spring setup...A lighter spring first to allow travel over rough surfaces and a higher rate spring for dampening under landing loads...You may want to go with a higher rate for both...And it's going to take some experimenting...

RoboStruts will bend as well even though they are manufactured from chrome molly steel...But can be bent back into place by hammering a drill of the appropriate size down the tube while gentle messaging the outer portion of the tube with a hammer...I was using 1/2" struts on my turbine birds---If I hadn't learned how to straighten RoboStruts I would have gone broke purchasing replacement parts---Cause RoboStruts aren't cheap at all!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:44 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
8,979 Posts
Thanks Kevin, I didn't even think about the hardware store. I have both a Lowe's and Home Depot within a few miles of my house. Not sure if they'll have anything that small as I've not had a ton of luck with hobby hardware, but I can certainly check the "Specialty" hardware sections and see what they have.

FYI these are the nose gear struts with the trailing link setup that I installed on the rears. I have the springs left over from the original rear struts that I can cram in there to see if that helps. I will definitely try both (original springs and visit the local hardware store) before spending any more money on retracts... I've spent enough money on this plane! Thanks for the suggestion!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2016, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by RCS1313
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
554 Posts
Any ACE Hardware store also has a nice assortment of springs. D & B Supply stores too.....
RCS1313 is offline Find More Posts by RCS1313
Old Jul 19, 2016, 09:03 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
8,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1313 View Post
Any ACE Hardware store also has a nice assortment of springs. D & B Supply stores too.....
That helps too, thanks. I'll have to see if there's an Ace Hardware around here.
RCG Plus Member