New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by lftort
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
Discussion
Battery balance plug is tricky?

I have a 7S 6300 mah battery (big one) that i used for creating an electric longboard last year (Brand is Alien Power Systems).
Today i wanted to charge it, but the charger only recognizes 6 cells instead of 7 ( I have a G.T.Power A8 charger).
I measured one by one the cells in the balance plug and all of them were btw 3,45 - 3.5 V, so everithing should by good and working in the plug i though.
The next thing i did was to conect another battery (4S) in the 7S plug, and yes, the charger did recognized the 4S, no matter if i plugged the balance connector on the left, on the middle or on the right.

So apparently all my stuffs are OK, but something is not working.
Any advice?

I think is the battery balance plug because i used the charger earlier today and it worked good as always.

i hope you can help me..
Thanks!
lftort is offline Find More Posts by lftort
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2016, 03:34 AM
Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
35,074 Posts
First off ,anything below 3.7V per cell is not really O.K.

Some chargers count the number of cells by detecting voltage on the balancing connector to determine what the total battery voltage should be and also measures the total battery voltage on the main power leads if these two do not match an error is created. Many Li Poly chargers will not charge a cell if voltage is below 3.5 or so volts or if there is more than a few tenth difference in the cells voltages.

Often the info in the Sticky Threads can be a great resource.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074181
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 13, 2016, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by prodriverex
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
657 Posts
In that case, the charger's balance capacity is very small? Modern one is capable up to 1A. What does that mean?
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by losi man
Suspended Account
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Oct 2015
2,052 Posts
do all 7 cell register or show up on a8? . do a standard charge to 3.78 volts each cell..around 26.5 volts then see if charger will see 7 cells..if not then stand dard charge to 28.7 then charge each cekk on its own to 4.2..
losi man is offline Find More Posts by losi man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by lftort
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
thanks for the reply´s.
I charged each cell to 3,58 V (since its 6300 mah capacity it was taking forever to reach 3,78 V), and still the charger doesn´t recognizes the 7 cells. Tomorrow i will charge each of them to 3,78V as adviced and see what happen.

Thanks! I will post if the problem was solved. If not, maybe i lost a lot of money on that battery. haha
lftort is offline Find More Posts by lftort
Old Jul 14, 2016, 05:59 PM
Find More Posts by rampman
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
9,979 Posts
My guess is your balance connector has a bad pin inside of it. Most likely it is your red wire's pin.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman