Old Jul 02, 2016, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by Tommy2lines
Australia, QLD, Townsville City
Joined Mar 2015
8 Posts
Discussion
Old control line models restoration advice

Hi guys I brought these two control line models cheap the other day and all I know is that they are over 30 years old. (might be older, think he brought them 2nd hand).

First up is the blue one. It's covered in some sort of nylon or silk? I peeled a bit off and it has some white fibers on it.

And what is the plane?

The Mitchell? Is fully sheeted only only one fin is missing and the belcrank seems jammed up. Is the elevator area too small? Does any of the Grey hair guard remember seeing these type of models on the control line fields 30+ years ago
Tommy2lines is online now Find More Posts by Tommy2lines
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2016, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by Inferalanding
Joined Oct 2008
22 Posts
The first plane has a tail like an Italian SM-79 but nothing else fits. The SM-79 was a trimotor anyhow. The second ship bears a slight resemblance to the Avro Manchester which later evolved into the famous Lancaster .
Inferalanding is offline Find More Posts by Inferalanding
Last edited by Inferalanding; Jul 03, 2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2016, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
2,439 Posts
I still have a CL plane I built when I was a kid. Sig "Brave" flown with a McCoy 29 and a Johnny Walker U-Reely. I covered the plane in "Silkspan", which is probably what's on your models.

I have a few planes I built that are going on 35 years old, U-Control and RC. I haven't flown them in 20 years or more. I'm afraid to fly them now. Built with "Ambroid" glue, before the days of CA. I'm worried about how well the adhesive has held up.

I've had CL models self-destruct in flight. Unless you've got a lot of open space, the laws of probability mandate that the motor will depart the fuselage and proceed directly to wherever your car is parked, or towards any group of small children who happen to be watching. So I'd be reluctant to fly a CL plane that's 30 years old, especially if I hadn't built it myself. At least not before stripping off the covering and inspecting the structure.
rocketsled666 is offline Find More Posts by rocketsled666