Old Dec 18, 2015, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by cyeh01
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
Help!
Local builder in Los Angeles

Hi All! Hopefully this is in the right forum but I'm wondering if there are any DLG builders/flyers out here in Los Angeles that might be willing to take on a build project/consult?

Thank you in advance for your help!
cyeh01 is offline Find More Posts by cyeh01
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2015, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by rofly
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeh01 View Post
Hi All! Hopefully this is in the right forum but I'm wondering if there are any DLG builders/flyers out here in Los Angeles that might be willing to take on a build project/consult?

Thank you in advance for your help!
cyeh01, pretty sparse info. I've got you in Pasadena/Arcadia, flying slope with an Alula and Radian Pro and maybe flying an Elf somewhere, sometime.

Just what is your project/goal? A name never hurts either...

Dick
rofly is offline Find More Posts by rofly
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:42 PM
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
Hey Dick, thanks for responding!

I picked up a Vortex from Sean over at Glider Proz (this one: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=vortex+2.0). But since it's already built, I kind of don't know the ins and outs of this specific model. My Elf build didn't really prepare me for a real DLG. The Elf doesn't have ailerons and I didn't build it with pull-springs. So functionally it was different and then the radio programming was also simpler. So on the ground level what I need is someone with good mechanical knowledge that can help me get off the ground with my first DLG.

In addition what I'm also doing is planning ahead. This can not be my last DLG. So what I want is to align myself with someone that can either help me with potential future builds. I will at some point attempt a build but I think at the moment I neither possess the knowledge, skill set, nor tools to attempt a build. Time is the other limiting factor and of course I'd be compensating for the build and/or consult.

Cheers!

Charles
Old Dec 19, 2015, 02:43 AM
Find More Posts by jachipman
United States, CA, LA
Joined Feb 2014
257 Posts
Charles,

I live in Sylmar. Decent place to fly. I fly at the Hang Gliding landing zone (LZ) that is about a mile from my house.

I'll be at the fish canyon SWSA flight park tomorrow (Saturday Dec 19th) flying my Pike Superior 3m thermal duration plane tomorrow.

I might be able to help with some of the gaps you have and will show you some of my planes so you can see what things should look like. I'll have two Streams with me tomorrow. One with pull springs and one with push rods if you want to meet up at SWSA

Map to field here http://silent-wings.org/stc/about.html

I've been flying DLG's for just over a year and started going to contest as soon as I could throw well enough to not be a danger to others. Can hook you up with others as well.
jachipman is offline Find More Posts by jachipman
Old Dec 19, 2015, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by rofly
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachipman View Post
Charles,

I live in Sylmar. Decent place to fly. I fly at the Hang Gliding landing zone (LZ) that is about a mile from my house.

I'll be at the fish canyon SWSA flight park tomorrow (Saturday Dec 19th) flying my Pike Superior 3m thermal duration plane tomorrow.

I might be able to help with some of the gaps you have and will show you some of my planes so you can see what things should look like. I'll have two Streams with me tomorrow. One with pull springs and one with push rods if you want to meet up at SWSA

Map to field here http://silent-wings.org/stc/about.html

I've been flying DLG's for just over a year and started going to contest as soon as I could throw well enough to not be a danger to others. Can hook you up with others as well.
There you go Charles, a perfect solution. Jeff is a super guy and knows his stuff... and kicks my butt at contests. (Hi Jeff... nice offer bud!)

Dick
Old Dec 19, 2015, 09:37 AM
United States, CA, LA
Joined Feb 2014
257 Posts
See you at the JEM? Better bring your NXT.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:20 AM
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
That's awesome. Fish Canyon is literally a couple miles from my house (on Encanto Parkway right?).

Please tell me what time you'll be there! Cheers!

Charles
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:28 AM
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
On the topic of specific issues I'm trying to resolve, out of the box the right aileron appears sticky and I can not figure out why and I don't want to pull out the Dremel just yet...

Sticky Right Aileron Vortex 2.0 (0 min 13 sec)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by rofly
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachipman View Post
See you at the JEM? Better bring your NXT.
Booked a room just so I can see you kick some...

NXT, Flitz, Snipe, Tweagle TD... hard to choose. (LOL)

Dick
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by rofly
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeh01 View Post
On the topic of specific issues I'm trying to resolve, out of the box the right aileron appears sticky and I can not figure out why and I don't want to pull out the Dremel just yet...

https://youtu.be/VsnPW_N4sDQ
What servo? Remove servo cover, try again. Still sticky? Remove pushrod from servo... carefully. Try again. Is the servo not centering? Replace. If okay, move pushrod by hand and feel for interference. If not free, fix pushrod channel with tiny round file and try again... or check for aileron hinge line silly stuff. Leave Dremel in tool chest... (LOL)

Welcome to DLG with a nice bird! You will love it...

Dick
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by bwill6
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,781 Posts
I'm just a bit north of you in Tehachapi, and I build more than I fly. You're welcome in my shop anytime. I know it's a bit of a drive, but if you're ever up here I'd love to help any way I can.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Dec 19, 2015, 02:18 PM
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
Thanks bwill6! If I ever head up there I will be sure to let you know! Cheers!
Old Dec 19, 2015, 04:16 PM
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
Found Fish Canyon SWSA field it it is locked up and no one is around. When do people usually fly thermals?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by tai626
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,896 Posts
Search for El Dorado in Long Beach.

Some do fly DLG in the Rosebowl and Whittier Narrows.

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Dec 19, 2015, 07:11 PM
United States, CA, LA
Joined Feb 2014
257 Posts
Sorry Charles, I didn't check the forum before I left and was already there by 8:45. Left early to go to the movies.

For anyone else following along, SWSA field typically shuts down around noon unless there's a contest. No flying there tomorrow, or at least no winching up.

I sent Charles a PM to let him know about TOSS and Paramount Ranch, good bets for tomorrow if it's not raining. I'm planning on going by the TOSS field first.

bwill6 (Brandon) is a very good builder and a talented pilot to boot. Has some mad skills for molding fuselages and tails (and likely anything else). All of us could likely learn a lot from Brandon in one afternoon.

Dick, I'm all Streams. Using AirBnB for my accommodations. Did the same during the IHLGF, pretty sweet deal.

Jeff