Old May 09, 2015, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by gregoff
Sweden, Kronoberg County, Vxj
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
Discussion
Autonomous Trumpeter 1/200 Iowa using a Arduino & Raspberry Pi

Hi all,

I've been visiting this forum for quite some time now and I think it's time for me to contribute to you all with my questions/answers/buildlog/etc.

I have recently finished my Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck which was "RC" using a Raspberry Pi and a 3g modem. Below you can see how it rides...
1/200 Bismarck - Sunset ride (0 min 51 sec)

Now, I will attempt to finish a Trumpeter 1/200 Iowa using a Arduino and a Raspberry Pi 2. I will post my progress here alongside with my blog (address will come when it's done). What I will attempt is the following:

The boat:
  • Assembly as much as possible of it including painting.

Using a Raspberry Pi:
  • Remote control motors/servos using a 4G/LTE modem (for lower latency)
  • Control the boat manually, "semi-automatic" and "full-automatic" (i.e. controlling manually and set to follow a plotted route).

Using a Arduino:
  • Process GPS-data
  • Process compass-data

Using a smartphone/tablet:
  • Graphical interface for controlling the boat

First on my list of tasks will be some soldering on the Arduino stuff. I have also started on some Raspberry pi stuff. The Arduino stuff is currently in the mail on it's way from Adafruit, USA (I live in Sweden).

Hope you all will find this thread interesting and feel free to post any questions you might have, but please keep it On-Topic.

I will update this thread myself along with my progress.

EDIT:
My blog's url is http://rciowa.wordpress.com
gregoff is offline Find More Posts by gregoff
Last edited by gregoff; May 10, 2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added url for blog
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2015, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by blutoh
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ
Joined Mar 2012
1,736 Posts

Very intereting project, gregoff,

While you are here, check out the Homebrew Hacks section of the boats forum too. You might find find some interesting threads there.

blutoh
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old May 09, 2015, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,919 Posts
Found this long before your new thread--I was searching for a proper hull red paint and there it was.

https://battlepi.wordpress.com/
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
Old May 10, 2015, 12:46 AM
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post

Very intereting project, gregoff,

While you are here, check out the Homebrew Hacks section of the boats forum too. You might find find some interesting threads there.

blutoh
Thanks for the advice! I'll check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harquebus View Post
Found this long before your new thread--I was searching for a proper hull red paint and there it was.

https://battlepi.wordpress.com/
My new blog will be in English instead of Swedish so that will probably be easier to read (unless you're Swedish)
Old May 10, 2015, 02:49 PM
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
The url for the blog is: http://rciowa.wordpress.com
Old May 10, 2015, 06:19 PM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoff View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions!

Another question/wondering... My hull will be _packed_ with equipment. Lead batteries, motors, servos, raspberry Pi, arduino, compass, gps, speaker etc.

How do you suggest I fix the deck? Since there's a considerable amount of stuff in there I need to access (maintenance etc), I don't think it's enough by just leaving the superstructure loose since I simply wouldn't reach everything I need to access. At the same time I would like it to be as water proof as possible.

I cannot use magnets as they would disturb the compass. Any suggestions?
I suggest, for "watertight integrity", that you try installing transverse bulkheads to contain any 'green water' that gets over the bow or stern areas. Do you plan on having your electronics centered in the hull more or less or having it placed all the way fore and aft? Maybe one of your functions could be a miniature bilge pump either manual or automatic (detects presence of water)?

Maybe install a second sub deck inside the hull that lies just below the removable main deck. Maybe this can be taped in place (temporarily) to cover the electronics. Make it of clear plastic so you can see your equipment before you open it for service.

Or instead of making the sub-deck a solid piece, make it a ring shape so that it forms a rim around the hull approximately .5". To this you can add a soft rubber or latex gasket that forms a seal when the main deck is fastened to the hull (with small screws). Silly Putty would make a neat, sticky and reusable gasket. Roll it like dough into a long thin piece...
Old May 11, 2015, 01:32 AM
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
Quote:
I suggest, for "watertight integrity", that you try installing transverse bulkheads to contain any 'green water' that gets over the bow or stern areas. Do you plan on having your electronics centered in the hull more or less or having it placed all the way fore and aft? Maybe one of your functions could be a miniature bilge pump either manual or automatic (detects presence of water)?

Maybe install a second sub deck inside the hull that lies just below the removable main deck. Maybe this can be taped in place (temporarily) to cover the electronics. Make it of clear plastic so you can see your equipment before you open it for service.

Or instead of making the sub-deck a solid piece, make it a ring shape so that it forms a rim around the hull approximately .5". To this you can add a soft rubber or latex gasket that forms a seal when the main deck is fastened to the hull (with small screws). Silly Putty would make a neat, sticky and reusable gasket. Roll it like dough into a long thin piece...
I'm planning to have the Arduino as close to the bow as possible since that one will be holding the compass and I'd like to get it as far away as possible from the motors/esc and batteries (the compass might get affected by magnetism otherwise). After that I will be placing the Raspberry Pi, and then batteries etc etc. If possible I will be placing the servo for the rudder in the stern if it can fit. I bought a micro servo for this purpose that I will test with.

I'm not quite sure of what you mean by "transverse bulkheads"?

A second removable deck seems a bit tricky.

A ring shaped sub deck might be the answer. It's just a question about how to keep it tight so no water gets through.

Another approach I was thinking about is simply to put the electronics on small slightly elevated platforms. That way the (hopefully) small amounts of water can escape under the electronics and maybe be pulled out by a small pump or such.
Old May 11, 2015, 01:49 PM
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
Blog updated with some Arduino stuff:
https://rciowa.wordpress.com/2015/05...e-has-arrived/
Old May 11, 2015, 02:30 PM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,919 Posts
I made an illustration. Pictures are better than words.

Transverse bulkheads (walls) in RED:
Sub deck rim or 'ring' around the hull in YELLOW:
Triangular sub deck support gussets in BLUE:

The sub deck rim would support the "gasket" and could have holes located along the perimeter for screws. The screws would penetrate the deck to fasten to the sub deck (with a captive nut placed underneath) but be so small they are not noticeable or may be hidden by deck equipment, hose reels or AA guns.

Otherwise, make as much of the electronics accessible in the center of the ship using the superstructure as the access hatch. Glue the main hull down... with silicone sealant, not model glue, so the glue seal could be broken with a thin and sharp hobby knife if absolutely necessary...

I'm sure there's other ideas.
Old May 11, 2015, 03:01 PM
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
Quote:
I made an illustration. Pictures are better than words.

Transverse bulkheads (walls) in RED:
Sub deck rim or 'ring' around the hull in YELLOW:
Triangular sub deck support gussets in BLUE:

The sub deck rim would support the "gasket" and could have holes located along the perimeter for screws. The screws would penetrate the deck to fasten to the sub deck (with a captive nut placed underneath) but be so small they are not noticeable or may be hidden by deck equipment, hose reels or AA guns.

Otherwise, make as much of the electronics accessible in the center of the ship using the superstructure as the access hatch. Glue the main hull down... with silicone sealant, not model glue, so the glue seal could be broken with a thin and sharp hobby knife if absolutely necessary...

I'm sure there's other ideas.
This is absolutely one way to go! Thanks for the illustration. Much more clear how you meant. I'll take this into consideration when the layout part of the modelling begins!
Old May 11, 2015, 09:00 PM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,919 Posts
I noticed of course that you have the USS Iowa. Does the kit contain the option for assembling the later enclosed bridge? Either way, you've got a lot of work to do to make it into this:

Old May 12, 2015, 01:06 AM
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
Quote:
I noticed of course that you have the USS Iowa. Does the kit contain the option for assembling the later enclosed bridge? Either way, you've got a lot of work to do to make it into this:

I havn't open the package just yet so to speak, just quickly to see that everything was there when it arrived.

I think the model is very specific to the 1944 version.
Old May 16, 2015, 01:34 PM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,919 Posts
Here's a link to a conversion of the 1/200 Missouri to the Vietnam version of New Jersey. Not quite the era you're trying to depict and of a different battlewagon altogether but it might provide some insight. I'm not a member there so cannot see the pictures--should be an easy matter to register...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/...-1200-plastic/
Old May 17, 2015, 10:07 AM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,919 Posts
Also, a neat RC destroyer site with a multitude of electronic enhancements such as a "Gun Fire Control System" whereby the turrets are slaved to the fire control director just like on battleships, cruisers and so forth. Also a "Propulsion Control Computer".... Neat stuff and also mind boggling at the same time where even our models are getting automated and filled with gizmos and features. Ah, the technology...

http://users.skynet.be/nico.ottevaere/
Old May 18, 2015, 05:32 AM
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
Great inspiration on both links, thanks!

At the moment, I'm working mostly with the compass/gps-part of the project. The modelling will follow soon I hope. Lots going on with the kids and work at the moment...