Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Mar 02, 2010, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,520 Posts
Discussion
RealFlight Deluxe on Win7 Pro / 32-bit

I've installed my old RealFlight Deluxe on Win7 32-bit Pro (for visitors to play with). It is working, but only after I disabled the photo realistic views. The simulator looks quite boring in this mode.

That said, everything is working fine. Except I would like to be able to see the photo realistic backgrounds. But I get this error if I try:
Error: D3DRMERR_BADDEVICE
File: \kelib\directdraw\DxDirect3D.cpp
Line: 848

I've tried different program compatibility modes and other forms of witchcraft. I've run out of ideas. By chance is there a fix for this?
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Mar 05, 2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Changed G2 to Realflight Deluxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:29 AM
Find More Posts by Malc C
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
A quick google of "D3DRMERR_BADDEVICE" seems to suggest it's an issue with the version of DirectX support library files used when writing the application (delphi, C# etc). Given the age of the program my guess would be that Direct X 7 was the version available at the time. Not sure of the fix though, other than running in a virtual machine running windows 98/XP
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:29 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,520 Posts
Drat. G2 was indeed from the DirectX 7 era. However, I was under the impression that the newer versions of DirectX ( believe Win 7 is DirectX 11) were backwards compatible. But we all know that "compatible" is an illusive wish.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:44 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
I think that some applications require specific versions within a version. Davey who is developing a new sim requires a certain version of DirectX 9, you know 9.0.0123 rather than 9.0.0124, even though it's still Directx 9 !

My guess is that you might be able to download DX7 (or the correct version) from somewhere on the net, but then installing it might screw up your current flavor !
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:58 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,520 Posts
I poked around and saw that some gamers have run into DirectX problems on Vista and Win7 when they ran some favorite old games. They tried installing older DirectX versions without success. So, I think I am out of luck on this one.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:25 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Try this

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by mode1
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
I had the same problem with G2 on Vista. Emailed the manufacture support and got instructions. Worked.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:21 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,520 Posts
Thanks, I will look into using the XP emulation feature.

Quote:
I had the same problem with G2 on Vista. Emailed the manufacture support and got instructions. Worked.
Brilliant! Can you cut/paste their emailed instructions to this thread?
Old Mar 05, 2010, 05:35 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,520 Posts
Of course it doesn't help that I said it is RealFlight G2. Actually, I'm trying to install RealFlight Deluxe, which is an earlier incarnation. I've corrected the title.

Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Mar 05, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
fmw
Find More Posts by fmw
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en is the page that will download the directX runtime. Install it on your computer and you will have compatibility with all versions of directx. DirectX is not backward compatible for Real Flight. You have to have right version.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by bluesky123
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,409 Posts
Microsoft's Virtual-PC is rather pathetic, it doesn't have hardware video acceleration, AFAIK.
I believe VMPlayer is free, download it from VMWare, then install Windows XP there--runs as fast as "true" XP!
But, if I remember right, RealFlight Deluxe was developed years before XP and may have trouble running there.

Boris
bluesky123 is offline Find More Posts by bluesky123
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:03 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,520 Posts
Thanks for the information. I've decided to retire RealFight Deluxe and install a RC simulator that is designed for Win7. So I have some research to do before I make the plunge.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Joined Nov 2005
3,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky123 View Post
Microsoft's Virtual-PC is rather pathetic, it doesn't have hardware video acceleration, AFAIK.
I believe VMPlayer is free, download it from VMWare, then install Windows XP there--runs as fast as "true" XP!
But, if I remember right, RealFlight Deluxe was developed years before XP and may have trouble running there.

Boris
VirtualBox from Sun: www.virtualbox.org. Freakin' amazing. I run 7 in 7 (test bed), Ubuntu, Custom Xandros, Android, XP SP3 etc. Way cool. And FREE!
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:03 PM
fmw
Find More Posts by fmw
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RC-CAM View Post
Thanks for the information. I've decided to retire RealFight Deluxe and install a RC simulator that is designed for Win7. So I have some research to do before I make the plunge.
Real flight G5 is compatible with all versions of Win 7. You will still need a copy of direct X 9, however.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by Prop_Washer2
Joined Dec 2007
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw View Post
Real flight G5 is compatible with all versions of Win 7. You will still need a copy of direct X 9, however.

Windows 7 runs Direct X11, which is backwards compatibile...plus G5 will install whatever DX version it needs when you install the software.
Prop_Washer2 is offline Find More Posts by Prop_Washer2