HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:14 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
If Hitec is releasing a new radio and receivers will they still sell their current receivers? I hope so as I do not want to buy another radio right now.
The answer is Yes. The new radio is backward compatible with all of the current receivers. The new RX will have a faster chip, but is mostly geared towards Heli flyers and people that really need fast response. I was told you would need a scope to see the speed difference.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:08 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,501 Posts
RXs that don't need the stupid sensor station for telemetry would be very much welcome.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:00 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Well my speculation about a new A9 would be.

-It will look similar to the Eclipse 7 Pro with the screen at the top.
-It will be based on exactly the same touch screen and logic as the present A9
-It will have some added mixes as standard which were missing from the A9 Menu.
-It will have lower latency.
-A new built in Tx module to look cleaner with less wires hanging out. (edited to keep Si happy)
-It may have sliders on the side and possibly extra ones on the back same as the Eclipse 7 Pro
-The voice unit will be built into the transmitter.
-It Will come with Li-po battery as standard.

-New receivers which will take satellites, (large scale and heli guys have been on about this since forever.
-Possibly a "super receiver" which has the telemetry hub built in.

And the new radio will be imaginably named the Aurora 9S................

Well that's my thoughts.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Last edited by VideoKing; Jan 15, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:16 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
-It will have lower latency with the new built in Tx module.
A built in module doesn't lower latency - even though that'll be the excuse. A connector doesn't slow down data transfer that much.

If they want to lower latency, they'll have to change the protocol. Currently the servos are updated at a rate of around ~20ms (iirc from the top of my head) in the data transmissions. So thus the new receivers will need a special mode to switch into. However this could be automated if its a telemetry receiver, as it could request the transmission module to move into a faster packet send rate.

Hopefully they'll update the previous module/transmitter versions to support it!

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:30 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
i hope they at least do something with a SD card so we dont have to screw with the stupid programmer box
That's my thoughts too, that USB box is so old school. An SD card would allow any computer type Mac or Linux to easily upgrade their A9.
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:23 AM
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
A built in module doesn't lower latency - even though that'll be the excuse. A connector doesn't slow down data transfer that much.
If they want to lower latency, they'll have to change the protocol. Currently the servos are updated at a rate of around ~20ms (iirc from the top of my head) in the data transmissions. So thus the new receivers will need a special mode to switch into. However this could be automated if its a telemetry receiver, as it could request the transmission module to move into a faster packet send rate.
Hopefully they'll update the previous module/transmitter versions to support it!
Si.
Sorry I did not mean to imply that an inbuilt module would be needed for improved latency, only that that would be the outcome of the transmitter design changes.
I think the old modules will NOT be up datable to the new protocols, because that would sabotage their new product. Why upgrade to a new TX if the old one could be updated. Does not make commercial sense, anyway the old hardware may not be compatible with the protocol changes. For faster data they will need wider bandwidth, similar to DSMX.

Personally I don't think Latency is a problem, its only the "must have's" who want it, so I think this new Tx will be at least 50% higher in price, as will be the matching receivers.

I just hope the old A9 does not get let to wither and die, as its still far from a finished project.
Last edited by VideoKing; Jan 15, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
That's my thoughts too, that USB box is so old school. An SD card would allow any computer type Mac or Linux to easily upgrade their A9.
SD cards are so last decade. ....

Seriously, how are you going to reprogram the receivers, telemetry station, as well as possible new mA sensors with an SD card. The USB box is the only sensible system.

You cant put a card reader in every module and receiver.......
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:29 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
Sorry I did not mean to imply that an inbuilt module would be needed for improved latency, only that that would be the outcome of the transmitter design changes.
I think the old modules will NOT be up datable to the new protocols, because that would sabotage their new product. Why upgrade to a new TX if the old one could be updated. Does not make commercial sense, anyway the old hardware may not be compatible with the protocol changes. For faster data they will need wider bandwidth, similar to DSMX.

Personally I don't think Latency is a problem, its only the "must have's" who want it, so I think this new Tx will be at least 50% higher in price, as will be the matching receivers.

I just hope the old A9 does not get let to wither and die as its still far from a finished project.
Backward compatability is one of the values that keeps Spektrum the #1 brand in 2.4 GHz. Hitec would be foolish to break compatability.

Futaba upgraded the 8FG to 14 channels via SW which I believe enhanced the loyalty of Futaba's customers. Sure impressed me.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:38 AM
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Backward compatability is one of the values that keeps Spektrum the #1 brand in 2.4 GHz. Hitec would be foolish to break compatability.

Futaba upgraded the 8FG to 14 channels via SW which I believe enhanced the loyalty of Futaba's customers. Sure impressed me.
The old model A9 would be backward compatible, it already is......

I would assume the new model would be backward and forward compatible, but I seriously doubt that the old A9 will be forward compatible. What would be the motivation for the old customer base to buy a new transmitter....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:45 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
They also said the transmitter will be slightly lighter and thinner.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:47 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
They also said the transmitter will be slightly lighter and thinner.
as long as they keep the rubber grips no complaints here, i really think the 8fg feels better in my hands but the aurora9 rubber grips make it much better. Also keeps me from chucking my radio when i am flying my DLG
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:51 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post

I agree with you, however, it is interesting that when JR introduced it's new XG line of radios, with DMSS, they did not offer Backward Compatibility with DXMS/DSM2.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:55 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
I agree with you, however, it is interesting that when JR introduced it's new XG line of radios, with DMSS, they did not offer Backward Compatibility with DXMS/DSM2.
it was simply due to them not having to pay for spektrum royalties anymore by going with their own protocol
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:57 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,131 Posts
Quote:
it was simply due to them not having to pay for spektrum royalties anymore by going with their own protocol
I thought it might be something like that.
Thanks!
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:32 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
i hope they at least do something with a SD card so we dont have to screw with the stupid programmer box
A USB port would be a lot better than both of those options.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996