HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:26 AM
Austria, Vbg., Hohenweiler
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stfoot View Post
Hey,

My F22 is about 50% covered now, still got a while to go before I will be done with the balsa sheeting. I am yet to decide what glass cloth I will use for the final layer of covering skin any input would be appreciated as I have never glassed something like this.

Ingles,
Can I ask you how you secure your taileron servo and fan access hatches? If you have any close up images they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Hi Matt,

my servo hatches are glued in with double sided tape.
On the fan hatches I glued pieces of 6mm plywood in each corner, drilled through and screwed the cover plate to these little pieces.

Concerning the covering process:

I use the following method which works best for me. I used 25g cloth and Z-Poxy Finishing resin. In the first step I thinned the resin with acetone almost 50:50 until it was almost like water. This is just to glue the tissue into place. In the second step I thicked the resin with micro balloons until it was a creamy spackle and applied that with an old Master Card. I was really surprised how little stuff I needed to close the pin holes. Then did the sanding with 240 grit and later wet sanding 400 and 600 grit. Now you can apply primer. The whole weight gain was just about 180-200g.
inglesingles is offline Find More Posts by inglesingles
Last edited by inglesingles; May 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:25 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,288 Posts
it helps to hairspray the balsa first so it doesnt soak up so much resin. dead weight
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:23 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Ingles,

How did you attach your canopy? Magnets? Did you glass the entire aircraft before cutting the hatches?

Cheers,

Matt
1stfoot is offline Find More Posts by 1stfoot
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:50 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
it helps to hairspray the balsa first so it doesnt soak up so much resin. dead weight
oh thanks i forgot to mention that, i didnt use hairspray i used a special laquer for that
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:52 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Ingles,

How did you attach your canopy? Magnets? Did you glass the entire aircraft before cutting the hatches?

Cheers,

Matt
hi matt
canopy will be fixed with a magnet in the back and a small stick in front
Did all the glassing before i was cutting my hatches
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inglesingles View Post
hi matt
canopy will be fixed with a magnet in the back and a small stick in front
Did all the glassing before i was cutting my hatches
Thanks
Old May 16, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Raptor ready painted

Hi guys,

the maiden day comes closer. Hereīs my Raptor ready painted. Last thing to do is a slight modification on the outlets and RX programming. The only thin she has to do right now is stay in the air

PS: does anybody have some cool decals for the F-22 or my F-16 (arctic aggressor) ??
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Thanks
Hi 1stfoot,

any progress on your raptor? Mine is ready 2 fly but it sounds unbelieveable: we had rain for the last 5 weeks and it was impossible to fly. Now Iīm really busy with my new job. I hope I can find some time in two or three weeks to maiden my Raptor
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:32 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inglesingles View Post
Hi 1stfoot,

any progress on your raptor? Mine is ready 2 fly but it sounds unbelieveable: we had rain for the last 5 weeks and it was impossible to fly. Now Iīm really busy with my new job. I hope I can find some time in two or three weeks to maiden my Raptor
Hi Ingles,

No progress lately as I have had to move houses and also now in groundschool for my CPL subjects. Don't expect I will continue building for at least 6 weeks. Looking forward to hearing how your maiden goes.

Matt
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
OK guys,

time to pick up the thread again: I need your help: lately we had meeting in our club and I showed a couple of experienced guys my raptor and asked them for their opinion if there could occur any problem in flight. We checked thrust and all said thatīs more than enough.
But at the elevons thereīs a problem which cause trouble in the air:
My problem is that the lever which is connected to axis of the elevon is very short which means that I have to use the first hole of the servo arm to keep throws in an acceptable range. But I think itīs still not enough. The optimum would be to have the full resolution of the servo and throws of +/- 20°.
So before I do my maiden and crash the plane I need asolution. Iīm sure someone faced the same problem in the past. All suggestion are welcome

was able to solve the problem. Unfortunately I had to sacrifice optics for function. Now I īm really satisfied with the tailerons, they react fast and are free from play and rocksolid!
Last edited by inglesingles; Sep 22, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Jul 2004
158 Posts
Vector thrust maybe?
F86_sabre is offline Find More Posts by F86_sabre
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:11 PM
william "speed_11"
Richmond, BC
Joined Jan 2005
123 Posts
Well wish me luck first time building my plane out of balsa. I really like this bird so much that im willing to try this. Thnks Nem3.
I will be building this for twin micro fan so it be small and i hope she flies.
Any thought of ducting. Since this will be small. Thanks for any input guys
speed_11 is offline Find More Posts by speed_11
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:26 AM
Joined May 2008
1 Posts
Hello
Your F-22 is very very Excellent !!
Long times I looking for a good F-22 plan, from magazines, books and many sites, but no ones of these plans are detailled or unfortunately not correct of the true design.
Your job is the best I never seen, and I would like to know if it's possible you send me the plan or drawings.
I'm just a 3d designer for my personal enthusiastic , it is my hobby,
thank in advance.
francotechnik is offline Find More Posts by francotechnik
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:22 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by francotechnik View Post
Hello
Your F-22 is very very Excellent !!
Long times I looking for a good F-22 plan, from magazines, books and many sites, but no ones of these plans are detailled or unfortunately not correct of the true design.
Your job is the best I never seen, and I would like to know if it's possible you send me the plan or drawings.
I'm just a 3d designer for my personal enthusiastic , it is my hobby,
thank in advance.
Hi francotechnik,

you can find the plans in this thread! They are free to download but itīs best you read this entire thread starting with page 1, theres a lot of usefull information.

greets ingles
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Any maiden flights yet?
pblawler is offline Find More Posts by pblawler