HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:02 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Another update.... My goal for this weekend was to finish the whole wing... Didn't quite succeed...

But anyhow.... good thing is that the flaps system works. Next step is installing motor wires, electrical wiring for navigation and landing lights and then close the middle section with a top skin.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
278 Posts
Nice work, Mavlo..................
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,118 Posts
Nice work Mavlo. I just wanted to share with this thread my method for making a built-up foam wing. I have started using multi-spar construction instead of multi-rib construction... it goes together much quicker and it leaves natural channels in the wings for running your wiring (motors, servos, LEDs, etc). In these types of foam wings, the ribs only "shape" the airfoil, but add nothing to the strength of the wing. The multi-spars add stiffness as well as shape the wing.

On this particular model I still used LE ribs, so it's a bit of a hybrid, but it could have been built using nothing but spars. The multi-spars are more resilient to wing twist and of course make the wing much stiffer across the span.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=35

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=192

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=197
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Thanks both for your comments!

Also thanks for the idea of multi spar wing instead of multi rib. This is something to consider for the next time. For now I finish the way how I started. But I must admit that the torsion / twisting is a bit of a concern for me. So I was considering another full span spar, until AK68 assured me that the top skin will provide the remaining torsion stiffness. The spanwise stiffness feels very adequate for me.

But I like your work in the links, the multi/box-box kind of shape defines the the main shape, and the foam folds around it. Now with my approach the wing skin puls and deforms the wing if it's not carefully glued...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:49 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,118 Posts
FYI: It's the bottom skin that is in tension when the plane is in the air -- so you need to run your packing tape (or whatever you use) on the bottom of the wing to keep it from stretching under load. The top skin is in compression -- so tape doesn't do a lot unless you are flying inverted -- you need something good in compression, like wood longerons. Regarding torsion/twisting in a multi-spar wing vs. multi-rib ---- the ribs themselves do little to prevent twisting - they only provide "shape" to your airfoil (and a thicker airfoil reduces twisting in and of itself). It's the shear-webbing of the outer skins working in conjunction with the spars that create a series of box-beams to make a box-girder (or I-beams - depending how you cut it). Box-beams are good at resisting twisting.

Triangle beams might work even better, but would be a lot more complicated to build.

The Republic Seabee RC3 is essentially ribless.

More RC3

_
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Nov 26, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:47 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Thanks Warhead!

Another update from my side. All lights are installed and wired. It's now time to cover the the outer wing sections with a top skin. I try to do this tomorrow.

Then I need to install the flaps. I wait for this until I have installed the top skin on the outer wing sections because otherwise the wing can't be laid flat on the table (flap hinges under the wing).
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:12 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
The wing is now covered, except for the middle section. For me this was the most critical part. I was worried that the stresses in the top skin would twist the wing. But it didn't happen! The skin is just glued now, some sanding and finishing is required still. Also I need to cut out the landing lights from the LE.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:43 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Major update

Today I closed the wing. Everything is functional.

Electrical system is also working. It has a redundant system. Will post some more details later.

Now I need to finish some small details like:
- Fix small wing piece between flaps and ailerons
- Sand the wing to match all skins
- Close the gaps between the skin panels
- Landing light cover
- Wing tip navigation lights cover
- Motor pods
- Trailing edge of wing tips
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:21 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Looking great, Mav! Anxious to see the completed project.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:29 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
278 Posts
Great work Mavlo, it proofes that you have ,,eyes for details''.
The only thing that you will not use are the flaps, unless your bird will get heavy and thus more landing speed.....This I say after I flew my twin and mine flared nice and easy, I use to land almost vertical.......LOL.
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:48 AM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
@mavlo77: Congratulations on the detailed progress! Nice update. Good work needs time.. as they say over here. Some small details (adding fuse ) and she is ready for maiden! Nowadays water is too hard for a maiden anyway.
Looks like things fit like a glove. Good to see things end up according to plan. Those sharp pic's say more than a thousand words. Wish you all the best mounting the motors and some other details!
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:14 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Thanks all!

@serjuro, hopefully I have some fun with the flaps... most of the building time of the wing went into the flaps... ... Actually I read somewhere else from Roland (the designer) that he was positive about the effect of flaps. I also have a Funcub with flaps. This low wing loading cub also doesn't need them, but on the other hand I like the very steep full flap approaches for landing. In the end I always use them. So we'll see. My PT2 will be a bit heavier than average too (landing gear).

@ak68, thanks ... time flies when building (and having fun).... I just cut out the motor pod parts. If all goes well, I expect first motor test runs this week.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Thanks all!

@serjuro, hopefully I have some fun with the flaps... most of the building time of the wing went into the flaps... ... Actually I read somewhere else from Roland (the designer) that he was positive about the effect of flaps. I also have a Funcub with flaps. This low wing loading cub also doesn't need them, but on the other hand I like the very steep full flap approaches for landing. In the end I always use them. So we'll see. My PT2 will be a bit heavier than average too (landing gear).

@ak68, thanks ... time flies when building (and having fun).... I just cut out the motor pod parts. If all goes well, I expect first motor test runs this week.
Just to note. Those "motor pods" are called nacelles.

Again, excellent work and looking forward to your nacelle build pictures.

Ted
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:21 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Thanks Ted for correcting, nacelles indeed. From now on I will carefully choose my words.... .

I will post an update soon.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:56 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Double post, sorry.