HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:16 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,681 Posts
Discussion
What's next after the Redskins....

Apparently some op-ed in a paper on the east coast is upset because the military has names for aircraft such as Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, Cheyenne and Kiowa. He calls this a "Greater Symbolic Injustice" than the Redskins name. Thing is it isn't the American Indians that are offended, it is the guilt ridden white liberals being offended on their behalf. This guy sounds like an Obama cabinet member, he is probably offended that there is a military at all.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
You're right, they won't stop until everything has fundamentally changed. Then when it's all dysfunctional, they won't be able to understand how it all went so wrong. Obviously the solution will be more of what broke it and more of somebody else's money.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:40 PM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Indians don't care.

White liberals are therefore offended for them.

White Conservatives, feeling left out, now take offense at the offended White Liberals.

America.
Sonny McGhee is online now Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:40 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
Link? There's a difference between tribal names and a word that has no non-negative meaning.

I say this as a former Redskins fan. My disaffection was about Schottenheimer, not the name of the team. What a waste of burgundy and gold he was! They will take a long time to repair the damage. Meanwhile, Go Panthers!
Bob HSG is offline Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:50 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...8ce_story.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ng-apache-chi/
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old Jun 29, 2014, 02:03 PM
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
One man's opinion, shared by few, apparently. My standard is this: Many Native Americans have expressed objection to the name Redskins; to my knowledge there doesn't seem to be a similar movement about the helicopters.

But then, what can you expect from an ex-Redskins fan who LOVED his Jeep Cherokee?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 05:09 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG View Post
One man's opinion, shared by few, apparently. My standard is this: Many Native Americans have expressed objection to the name Redskins; to my knowledge there doesn't seem to be a similar movement about the helicopters.

But then, what can you expect from an ex-Redskins fan who LOVED his Jeep Cherokee?
Your standard? So, if many Americans did not vote for Obama, then he shouldn't be president, right?

Now, if a legitimate poll (if there really is such a thing) were taken, and a supermajority (as in, say, 60% or more) of Native Americans were offended by the name "Redskins", then your standard would be quite reasonable, and have merit.

But, methinks that far fewer Native Americans are offended by it than those who aren't, and those who are, scream the loudest, so their voices are the ones who are heard.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:16 PM
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
Your standard? So, if many Americans did not vote for Obama, then he shouldn't be president, right?

Now, if a legitimate poll (if there really is such a thing) were taken, and a supermajority (as in, say, 60% or more) of Native Americans were offended by the name "Redskins", then your standard would be quite reasonable, and have merit.

But, methinks that far fewer Native Americans are offended by it than those who aren't, and those who are, scream the loudest, so their voices are the ones who are heard.
Your second sentence is a complete non sequitur. The Obama obsession is so unbecoming.

My point was that as far as I know there is NOT any wide-spread opposition from Native Americans to the helicopter names, and that is why I don't find it comparable. If there were, I might feel differently, but as it is, since I don't think THEY have a problem with it, I don't either.

I don't know who is more absurd: those who want to ban the word or those who defend it. Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dumber.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:26 PM
THE ЯUSSIANS ARE COMING!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
191 Posts
Personally, I'm outraged.
rcposter is online now Find More Posts by rcposter
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:31 PM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Hunches can be correct; but I'm not so sure I'd try to argue a particular point based on one.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:07 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG View Post
Your second sentence is a complete non sequitur. The Obama obsession is so unbecoming.

My point was that as far as I know there is NOT any wide-spread opposition from Native Americans to the helicopter names, and that is why I don't find it comparable. If there were, I might feel differently, but as it is, since I don't think THEY have a problem with it, I don't either.

I don't know who is more absurd: those who want to ban the word or those who defend it. Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dumber.
Non sequitur? I think not. My point is that your post suggests that by YOUR self-professed standard, if many (not necessarily a majority, but just "many") agree (or perhaps, disagree) on any given issue, then their position should prevail in the natural follow-on outcome. And my use of Obama is merely as an example, not an obsession.

As for your second point WRT the helicopter names, I quite agree with you there.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:09 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee View Post
Hunches can be correct; but I'm not so sure I'd try to argue a particular point based on one.
Quite correct, Sonny. That's why my post is written as it is. I aver nothing, I merely opine as to my suspicions.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:10 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
What to Indians call each other? I doubt it's Redskins. Is it consistently evolving like Native American? I have no idea.

Another group I have a hard time following. You can't even say the original word or a couple more,yet I can't see the problem. Trying to be PC I can't even say whom I'm talking about cuz I don't know what's today's word is.

I've been called Kraut in my youth. So? Maybe its the tone of voice used that causes problems.

My wife was called Swede because of a Minn. accent. Funny, Scandinavians are open to jokes or comments. I think that is the only ethic group you can mess with. Know any Lars, Ole and Lena , or Ludefisk jokes?
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Last edited by Aaron 1; Jun 29, 2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron 1 View Post

Another group I have a hard time following. You can't even say the original word or a couple more,yet I can't see the problem. Trying to be PC I can't even say whom I'm talking about cuz I don't know what's today's word is.
I know what they are called, but I can't say the name here.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:18 PM
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
Quote:
Non sequitur? I think not. My point is that your post suggests that by YOUR self-professed standard, if many (not necessarily a majority, but just "many") agree (or perhaps, disagree) on any given issue, then their position should prevail in the natural follow-on outcome. And my use of Obama is merely as an example, not an obsession.

As for your second point WRT the helicopter names, I quite agree with you there.
No. My standard is that it requires a significant number for me to consider it worth discussing. Which has nothing to do with my position on the issue, let alone President Obama.

Put another way, the Redskins name has been controversial for decades; there is no comparable history for the heli names. And it STILL has nothing to do with Obama!