HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Still waiting for my unit to arrive, Ready Made RC customer service said additional units should be coming in

Been playing around with my FMA Co-Pilot II.
It is rock solid as far as stabilization is concerned, but looking forward to the 3D mode that guardian offers, as well as the smaller footprint and not needing additional external sensors

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:01 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Let's see some install pics, or I will be installing this in ______

FCA

Aero65 - Where you able to do additional testing in 3D head holding mode
Hi Flame 747

The Base was nice and let us fly on the 4th!

I was able to get some video of the MB339 turbine flying in 2D and 3D modes. Did not have time to upload the videos yet.

Some quick comments on flying.
2D was as expected, tried 2 landings with it on. It does a good job of holding wings level, wind was down the runway so it will be interesting when I can test in a cross wind.

3D HH was pretty cool, at high rates like 100% it was very easy to do 4 point rolls just bang the aileron stick, no need to compensate for rudder or elevator. During high speed flight you have to be careful to watch level flight as the plane pretty much goes where you point it. You also have to be very smooth with inputs as it can look notchy if you correct quickly with the elevator.
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:10 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
As far as I can tell, with a 3 channel plane, one can only directly control 2 of the 3 axes. So if you wanted to stabilize the aileron and rudder (roll and yaw axes), you will need to leave out stabilizing elevator (pitch axis). So some axis that the Guardian 3D is meant to control will get left out.
Guard 2D/3D will in fact control all three of these flight controls. Long ago I posted numerious post of me flying my Lil Banchee with Guardian in both 2D and 3D modes. It has Ail., Evevator,Rudder and Throttle which Guard. does not contriol.

FYI Unit I preordered on MArch 15 arrived today ,ones I preordered on Apr.6 are on the way.

Good explanation of Trans. controled gain settings here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=529
I worded it "wrongly": Guardian 2D/3D will try to control all 3 axes, but in a 3 channel elevon plane (2 control surface servos), 1 of the axes that Guardian controls will not have any servo to connect to, so Guardian will do the calculations, but as far as I can tell, Guardian has no servo/control surface to move to make the corrections in that axis.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Has anyone put a Guardian into a FunJet Ultra or similar plane. I get scared everytime I launch mine and crach on launch a lot. Is there any video out there showing such a launch?
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Hi BJM,

Al of the beta testers posted a video in the early part of this thread showing a Stryker F-27Q with Guardian installed, and the unit appeared to perform well.

Video is on Page 6, post # 88

Have Fun,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:32 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
753 Posts
gundy,
did you ever figure it out? the s/ware loaded fully both times?

really curious,
michjael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Months ago I flew many flights with Guardian in my Mini Gremlin combat flying wing. It worked great,launches into wind,cross wind , gusty winds were non events. Mostly I used the 3D mode and just launched with about 3/4 power with nose at a 30 degree or so up angle and after released just watch the wing travel in that attitude until ......
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
Mine arrived today; ordered 3/12. I might stick it in my Stryker. This evening I will take my time and read the instructions.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:17 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,002 Posts
I just received shipping notice!!! Mine was ordered on 4/30.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
I ordered 2/12 got it today. Never did get a shipping notice.
Question. Is there a way to read the gain input with slider when pc is connected with usb?

I also had to redownload beta version of software. Is there no release version that works yet?
pm79311 is offline Find More Posts by pm79311
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
I worded it "wrongly": Guardian 2D/3D will try to control all 3 axes, but in a 3 channel elevon plane (2 control surface servos), 1 of the axes that Guardian controls will not have any servo to connect to, so Guardian will do the calculations, but as far as I can tell, Guardian has no servo/control surface to move to make the corrections in that axis.
Now you are confusing me. I flew the Guardian in a combat flying wing a Mini Grimlin. I used the Elevon (Deklta) wing mix in the Guardian not the one in the Transmnitter. Guardian worked extremly well in both 2D and 3D modes in this aircraft. perhaps go back and read my flight report post.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:54 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
Saratoga, CA USA
Joined Dec 2000
587 Posts
It Just Came!

Hey Bill and fellow users,

Just received it today, and with the help of the manual and this RCGroups thread, it installed fairly easily. I set it up in a Tribute 3DX with dual aileron servos using a Spektrum DX8. Primary aileron is the right-wing driven by channel 2. Secondary aileron is the left-wing driven by channel 6. It all went together pretty quickly and all surfaces are responding to stick inputs correctly and the surfaces are all going in the right directions in response to disturbances.

I have two problems/questions. First, the ch 2 aileron responds to stick inputs with deflections 3-times greater than ch 6. The same goes for its response to external disturbances that it is trying to correct for. Second, the rudder responds to stick commands as expected, but its response to induced yaw is almost imperceptible. I guess what I am trying to express is that gyro response to pitch and to roll perturbations is as expected but not symmetrical for ailerons, while response to yaw is miniscule.

Thanks for your patience and guidance,
Bob
bobandris is online now Find More Posts by bobandris
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:00 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Hi Bob
Awesome, when you get the throws sorted out you will love it.

I have some possible things to check / thoughts on your issues.

Do you have custom servo limits on? If you don't these could also help with a really funny setup, when I turned mine on it appeared to re-scale the servo responses to the limits set on the servos. I have to confirm this but It appeared to do that.

If you have the flaperon input unmixed checked the Guardian will do internal flaperon mixing between aileron and the aux input. If you already have it programed into your transmitter you might be getting some weird output. However the gyro response should not be affected just the throws.

What mode are you in? 3D without direct rate and without heading hold should give you just rate gyro responses which should be even.

Does the rudder servo have its control rod all the way on the inside hole on the servo arm? For example if your ailerons throw were cut down a lot using travel volume, and the rudder was not. You would have more response on the aileron due to the Guardian outputting similar angular corrections on the servo arm, however due to the differences in the length of the servo arms / control horns you would have different appearing corrections. (This could be affecting the rudder and aux outputs?)

If you are in 2D with auto turn coordination on the rudder will turn in the direction of the roll and could be messing with the outcome.

I hope these suggestions help, just some thoughts after I have installed mine.
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:41 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Now you are confusing me. I flew the Guardian in a combat flying wing a Mini Grimlin. I used the Elevon (Deklta) wing mix in the Guardian not the one in the Transmnitter. Guardian worked extremly well in both 2D and 3D modes in this aircraft. perhaps go back and read my flight report post.
Yes, I remember your positive flight report and I am not disputing that or that the Guardian can work well on a 3 channel wing.
I am just trying to say that on a 3 channel plane, just as the pilot cannot control the 3 axes independently, the Guardian cannot also. This is due to the lack of flight control surfaces, not due to a limitation of the Guardian.
For example, with a 3 channel elevon plane (no rudder), it will be hard for the Guardian (or pilot) to do a flat turn as without a rudder channel, it will be hard to turn if the Guardian (or pilot) keeps the wings flat/level.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:53 AM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,002 Posts
Installed mine in my 89" Slick yesterday and got a chance to take it out for a few flights today in winds ranging from 10-20+ mph. WOW. Flew almost exclusively in 3D mode (2D mode feels too much like its fighting my inputs for my tastes) landings were the most perfect I've ever done! I do need to fine tune what it considers "level" -- I set it up with a bubble level yesterday but it had a definite tendency to gently dive on what should have been stabilized level flight.

I was a little surprised that it allowed the nose to drop (in 3D mode) when doing an 8 point roll. I expected a roll only input would result in appropriate rudder/elevator inputs to hold the nose up (there was plenty of speed). Any ideas?

Peter+
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel