HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:34 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Question
Hangar 9 Spitfire 60 With E-Flite Electric retracts, is it possible?

Hi,

Sorry if this is a double post, I did honestly search but wasn't able to find any information about this. I am interested in any information or experiences on installing E-Flite electric retracts in a Hangar 9 Spitfire 60. Primarily:

Is it possible?
If so, which specific retracts (size, angle, etc.).

I'm looking at getting this bird, I don't hate the mechanical retracts but if I can do the electrics this will definitely make the decision very much easier.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:51 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,820 Posts
The eflite 60-120 will fit You may have to do some minor cutting but these will be perfect for it and get the 90 deg ones
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
If anyone has done this mod and has pictures I would love to see them!

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
26 Posts
I'd just love to get my Hanger 9 Spitfire delivered from Horizon. I have had one on backorder since June 2010!
SleepyFloyd is offline Find More Posts by SleepyFloyd
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyFloyd View Post
I'd just love to get my Hanger 9 Spitfire delivered from Horizon. I have had one on backorder since June 2010!
I'm with you, I haven't placed my order yet but I keep monitoring the ever changing "availability date"

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:50 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyFloyd View Post
Hobby Zone has them in stock. Free shipping as well. Just ordered mine a few days ago. Will arrive Wednesday.

I plan to go electric on it.

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:49 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,344 Posts
Never mind... I see Horizon has got them back in stock with free shipping as well.

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:46 AM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
407 Posts
Eflite retracts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
The eflite 60-120 will fit You may have to do some minor cutting but these will be perfect for it and get the 90 deg ones
Is anybody flying this combination now?
dgfinch is offline Find More Posts by dgfinch
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfinch View Post
Is anybody flying this combination now?
I just got my plane in a couple of weeks ago, getting a few other projects off my bench first. For now I ordered the retract servo and will see how that works out. I have also ordered some Robart Struts (650's), I know that they will work fine with the mechanical retracts but they raise one more question mark with the electrics so that is the primary reason I have held off for now. If I really struggle with the mechanicals I will re-visit the electrics. I did get a couple of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14838

I don't think I'm going to use them but for the price I figured I could get them and just test them out see if they would work.

Also, for anyone that has done an e-conversion. I am looking at this motor:
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=215
Coupled with a Phoenix Ice 100, 8S 3300mAh and either a 14X14 or a 15X12. I'll post here how it turned out as I'm going to guess that no one has this specific or equivalent setup for comparison.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:38 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
You should try the search function you might find what your looking for.
here's one.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...tfire+electric

There are many Hanger 9 60 size conversion.
Some good info in here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=hanger9+p+47

I has been done, Do you want to pull the wing to install batteries or make a battery hatch. If the answer is no to either of those than you might want to find a bird with a battery hatch already installed.

good luck, TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:19 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
You should try the search function you might find what your looking for.
here's one.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...tfire+electric

There are many Hanger 9 60 size conversion.
Some good info in here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=hanger9+p+47

I has been done, Do you want to pull the wing to install batteries or make a battery hatch. If the answer is no to either of those than you might want to find a bird with a battery hatch already installed.

good luck, TW
I have read most of the threads and I know there are plenty of e-conversions. I was referring specifically to the Scorpion motor, I haven't read of anyone using that particular motor, we'll see how it turns out.

I will be pulling batteries through the wing, I know it's kind of a pain but I'm actually OK with that, hopefully I won't regret it.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:18 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,820 Posts
Just got doe putting the Eflite electric retracts in the Hanger 9 Spitfire. Really easy to do. Just have to trim some of the plastic has shown in pic and also have to notch out the rib so the retract will fit. and where the retracts mounts you have to trim the wood so the retract mount will seat.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:07 PM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
407 Posts
Quote:
Just got doe putting the Eflite electric retracts in the Hanger 9 Spitfire. Really easy to do. Just have to trim some of the plastic has shown in pic and also have to notch out the rib so the retract will fit. and where the retracts mounts you have to trim the wood so the retract mount will seat.
Thanks for the pix. When you lower the gear are they 90 degrees to the ground or slightly offset like the carriage of the real spit?
dgfinch is offline Find More Posts by dgfinch
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:44 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,820 Posts
Well the retracts it self are 90 degrees but they still have a offset when put in the wing. If they made like maybe a 100 to 105 degree then they would sit straight
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Very nice, now I just need to see if I can get them to work with the Robart Robostruts. I wonder if the retracts can be turned, you know, retract to the outside.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member