United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleFly View Post
That was "Funny" !!
I got My leg(s) at Wall-Mart ; here is what happened :
http://www.thekiteboarder.com/wordpr...e-billy-floyd/
WOW man! Flying Torrey Pines is so wonderful. I got a week out there when my daughter and son-in-law graduated. us east coast guys don't know what sloping is.

Quote:
I figured it would take a bit longer to teach him with the Pro, than it
would if i used the original Radian. I'll give him my old Jr-388 & teach
him how to set up 3deg of flap with 2deg reflex on the ailerons ; dog
it right out till he gets better on it. I Like how that old radio will allow a program
to trim down as Ya add in the throttle. Parts look inexpensive and i like
the Look of this plane !!

Is the 1300mah battery , big enough ?

Bille
I fly my Pro with a JR8103 and it works great. I used the 6ch Rx they provide so i have the flaps on a Y connector. I regularly get 20+ minute flights in dead air. I'm doing prop comparisons at the moment and waiting for free time to continue it. I have Crow set up on the throttle stick based on a switch which turns off the throttle functionality. All in all stuff doable with the 388

This link was helpful

and this one for the throttle/crow mixing
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,387 Posts
Quote:
That was "Funny" !!
I got My leg(s) at Wall-Mart ; here is what happened :
http://www.thekiteboarder.com/wordpr...e-billy-floyd/

it right out till he gets better on it. I Like how that old radio will allow a program

Bille

Cool i used to use a 1300mah but have switched to a 2200 all the time. I usually have my GoPro planted on top so im not going to duration, i'm going for scenic flights/video.

Check my new Blog entry of my last 2 years worth of flying. Leave a comment if you enjoyed a few hrs of videos haha
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23266897

But that being said thats my preference! I would go with the lighter battery when is calm, and have a the bigger batt for those windy days. helps her big time in the wind
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,223 Posts
Quote:

Bille
Sounds like you are going for the PNP for the Radian Pro since you already have a radio and RX picked out. I assume then you are going to hook him up with a nice charger and 2-3 extra batteries. The stock 1300 is good for what this plane is designed for, you might want a larger heavier pack say a 2200 for really windy days. But to float around and catch thermals I think the 1300 is the best pack.

I'm not sure adding all the features to a new pilot is the best approach, unless he has some previous flight experience. I think he would learn better with the regular Radian as it is slower and more forgiving the the Pro. Teaching someone to fly is a great experience and really gives back to the hobby. My experience with totally new pilots is they need slow and forgiving to start with so it is fun and they stick with it to learn. I fear the Pro might be a bit too much for a first plane to learn on.

Are you sure he wants to learn to fly a glider or a plane? I switched my son to the Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos (he Had no interest in flying gliders) and he loves it. He soled the plane within 6 flights and the past weekend was shooting touch and goes at the club field in front of all experienced pilots. He got some great complements on his flying and landings too. Just another option...
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Nov 14, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Dec 2010
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
WOW man! Flying Torrey Pines is so wonderful. I got a week out there when my daughter and son-in-law graduated. us east coast guys don't know what sloping is.
Perhaps a more "Birds-eye View" of Torry, would be More to your liking ? :

Legless-Whitehaired-Dude-jumps off cliff's of Torrey-Pines (3 min 23 sec)

================================================== =

I made my living selling Hang glider rides at Torry Pines from 1980 - 90 ;
flew my Hobie Hawk almost Every day. I think that's what drew me to the
original Radian at the start, they look similar. I may still go that direction, it's just
that the guy i want to teach has reflexes like a cat and he's smart also, so
i don't know -- he'd probably do well on the more complicated plane if it's some-what
stable ; that's why i had asked.

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:52 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps a more "Birds-eye View" of Torry, would be More to your liking ?

original Radian at the start, they look similar. I may still go that direction, it's just
i don't know -- he'd probably do well on the more complicated plane if it's some-what

Bille
Very nice. Even a glimpse of the Salk Institute where they had graduation.

I think that if he has good reflexes and is interested in the flying, the full house Pro is what you should get. I think the simple Radian will get outgrown too quickly and you can dumb down the full house ship initially. I competed in Thermal Duration in the late 80s/90s and find the RP a nice compromise for a powered glider with good capabilities for a 2M ship. As always, YMMV
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,942 Posts
That was a wonderful video.

I would like to register my vote for the standard Radian as being the ideal beginner plane. What makes it ideal is that even after you think you have outgrown it, you will keep coming back to it and be amazed. On days when the lift is minimal, it will still be flying long after the Radian Pro has landed.

If it is possible to afford both, I would buy both for your friend who found your leg. These planes are the yin and yang of beer coolers and they can each do things the other one cannot.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Last edited by Jovanx; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:25 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps a more "Birds-eye View" of Torry, would be More to your liking ? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exHzJGhE_Fo

Bille
brings back memories of flying at torrey & also saddleback mtn.
I also had a hobie hawk way back & when I got my radian & RP the first thing i did was expand wings to 10' on the radian (super floater) ! (for the record my H.G. was a UP axis 130 with VG.. (death trap) !!!!!
onothimagain is offline Find More Posts by onothimagain
Last edited by onothimagain; Nov 15, 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: more info.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Brings back memories of the mid-70s, when I spent many weekends at a particular beach that's right below the part of the bluffs where the hang-gliders fly. I don't remember seeing any RC gliders while I was there - but then I wasn't exactly looking for them either - given the <ahem!> nature of the scenery, so-to-speak. I do remember that the trail was one hell-of-a climb. I sometimes walked down that steep road on the south end, instead of taking the trail. There was an old VW Beetle sitting off the end of the road. Word was that that somebody abandoned it there because it couldn't make it back up the hill. I heard that it was still sitting there in the 80s. I remember lots of other stuff from there as well, but most of it's not the sort of stuff one can discuss on here... Ahh, yes.....those were the days...

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 15, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:26 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Brings back memories of the mid-70s, when I spent many weekends at the north end of a particular beach that's right below the part of the bluffs where the hang-gliders fly. I don't remember seeing any RC gliders while I was there - but then I wasn't exactly looking for them either - given the <ahem!> nature of the scenery, so-to-speak. I do remember that the trail was one hell-of-a climb. I sometimes walked down that steep road on the south end. There was an old VW Beetle that couldn't make it back up the hill sitting off the end of the road.I heard that it was still sitting there in the 80s. I remember lots of other stuff from there as well, but most of it's not the sort of stuff one can discuss on here... Ahh, yes.....those were the days...

Joel
When I was there in 06 a guy landed his sloper down on the beach and walked down. The people that had it had "rekitted it" and threatened him with bodily harm as well. I hadn't heard of it being quite that contentious prior to that. I was careful to stay in the main lift bubble the entire time
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:43 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
When I was there in 06 a guy landed his sloper down on the beach and walked down. The people that had it had "rekitted it" and threatened him with bodily harm as well. I hadn't heard of it being quite that contentious prior to that. I was careful to stay in the main lift bubble the entire time
Wow. That's a completely different atmosphere than when I used to hang out at Black's Beach. Pretty much everyone down there was mellow back then. The hang-glider guys landed on the beach & carried their gliders back up & seemed like most of the beach-goers thought it was cool. I remember thinking that the glider pilots had to be seriously dedicated to fly from there, though. That has to be a tough haul back up, carrying a hang-glider on your back. I thought it was tough enough just carrying a few beach items, and I was in great shape back then.

Back to the RP - we haven't had any soaring wx since back when I got the videos & book. I finished the book & I've watched all three videos twice. Next week it's supposed to be up into the mid-50s & sunny, with single-digit winds, and lows in the 20s & 30s. That aught to scare up some lift over the bare sod-farm field, just south of the runway. Hope they're right.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 15, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
Upside down, downunder in Oz
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
It works!! (or at least I do)

Just over 2 years ago, I had a stroke, that left my left side of body not working for a while. After 15 months off work, returned to work (as Air Traffic Controller) and have been slowly improving. As I am right handed, the left doesn't tend to improve as quick as it isnt being used as often as right. Finally got to the stage of returning to flying because I have been doing it for 30 years, and I thought it can be good therapy to improve left side reflexes.

So, been hunting for a plane the last month or so (didnt want to fly the Stryker, F18 or sea plane) and bought a RP the other day. I have a JR DSX9 (X9303 to the yanks) and set it up using the supplied receiver. separate channels for ailerons, but Y leaded flaps. Set it up 'full house', with launch, cruise, land, speed & thermal modes, as well as crow on throttle, and engine on right slider with safety switch.

A little bit windy and gusty, but what the hell. Up to local oval around corner.

Nervous as, flicked on the power and thru her. Tracked out really good. Did a bit of thermalling and then approach. Used the crow. Almost could hover it down vertical.

Did about 5 launch, thermal, land. Came home with it in 1 piece, and had a celebratory beer!!

Happy with myself and choice of first plane for return.

Never had full house glider/radio, so A lot to be careful of in switching wrong switches.

Couldnt do much trimming in various modes as too windy and gusty.

Next, I suppose, will be my Spirite Elite on the slopes, after a lot more with the RP.

Very nice glider
Moby58 is offline Find More Posts by Moby58
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:47 AM
Joined Dec 2010
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby58 View Post

Did about 5 launch, thermal, land. Came home with it in 1 piece, and had a celebratory beer!!

Happy with myself and choice of first plane for return.

Very nice glider

"It just doesn't get any Better than that" !!!!
===============================

I decided to get the original Radian for my friend who retrieved the leg; mostly
because i remember all the fun i had with the Hobie Hawk ! I think it
will be easier for him to learn on, but not a boar after he gets better, i really enjoy
a thermal with a ruder machine.

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,942 Posts
Quote:
I decided to get the original Radian for my friend who retrieved the leg; mostly
because i remember all the fun i had with the Hobie Hawk ! I think it
will be easier for him to learn on, but not a boar after he gets better, i really enjoy
a thermal with a ruder machine.
I think that plane is an excellent choice for a beginner, and like you said, he will never get tired of it. It has it's own thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922599

I haven't flown the RP for a while, but yesterday I gave 'er and put 3 batteries through it. I wanted to try out some new 1000 mah 50c batteries and they were great. It also has a new (stock) prop and spinner, and it really hauled butt. There was even some solid lift, which is something I don't get all that often around here. The weather is fickle in the mountains, and thermals usually just come in bits and pieces.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Congrats on the maiden Moby! It sure is a nice flying plane isn't it.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:39 PM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
Maiden Flight! Whoops!

I took 'er out for the maiden today. Unfortunately by the time I got to the field (about 4:30 PM) it was a little windy, I'll say about 10 mph (but I'm not a good judge of these things). [Stock RP, I bought used (From these forums), radio etc seemed to be working well on the kitchen table. Balanced about 2.75 inches behind front of wing, using the "stock" battery that the guy sent me with the RP (Parkzone 11.1, 1300).]

Anyways, I gave her a gentle toss without power, and it glided so nice that I couldn't resist popping the throttle and AWAY WE GO! From there on it was a wild west rodeo! Up down, down up, serve left, swerve right! Lots of porpoising, and a little flying backwards (relative to ground speed). Thank God I finally brought her down without incident... but it was about the longest 4 minutes of my life.

I think my errors were:
1. Too much wind! This puppy can't handle wind well!
2. CG too far back (?). (Remember I don't have a manual for this thing; I only know what I read on here).
3. Battery was sliding... maybe... The velcro seemed a little loose just now when I removed the battery, so it might have been slipping and sliding in there.

Interestingly on the final approach, with throttle OFF, all the sudden the prop started whirring (about 1/2 throttle) and then shut off after about 4 seconds. My first thought was "interference" but then I remembered that I shelled out $300 to get a NEW 2.4 "Non-Interference" (!) radio. Could the ESC be faulty?

So, I'm looking forward to calmer skies. I probably shouldn't admit this but I am now in the process of putting my GoPro Hero 2 mount right above the CG (more or less) and look forward to getting video.

I welcome any and all comments. Oh yeah, one more thing, I THINK this is the stock prop, but it's just plain black with no writing. I think I've seen on here that another prop works wonders... could you please tell me if this is true and how I can tell what I have? (Presumably I just have to buy one and try it to know for sure?)

Again thanks everyone, and especially Mike!

Sam

PS If anyone has any pointers for getting this assembled into a vehicle I'd love to hear them!
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
Last edited by samhoff; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM.