HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:18 PM
FlyGuy
Batavia, IL, USA
Joined Oct 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huang View Post
A bit hard to explain this, it's not the latch is being restricted. The latch pin is already fully extended, but still does not go all the way through the ply doubler. It only has enough reach to go through the canopy balsa bulkhead.

It could be my canopy is slightly warped, or the canopy back plate is glued slightly inner to where it should be. It's just 1-2mm off but the latch can't hook onto the ply doubler when fully extended. Does it need to hook onto the ply doubler?

I'd rather not have to use the thumb screws if possible. Hard to disconnect the battery quickly in case anything happens.
I wouldn't trust the balsa without the plywood doubler. The hole in the balsa will elongate too quickly. If you determine that the canopy backplate is glued in slightly forward to where it should be, maybe there is room to add your own plywood doubler to the backside of the backplate. That plywood doubler could be so simple as a 1-2 mm horzontal strip of plywood beneath the backplate hole. If you don't have the plywood, perhaps a small steel washer would do. The pin could go through the washer's hole. Perhaps a short piece of brass tubing of the appropriate dia./length could be inserted/glued into the already existing backplate/ply doubler. The latch pin could then slide into the brass tube.
ldhflyguy is online now Find More Posts by ldhflyguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:37 PM
A tale of two slickies
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2010
442 Posts
Mine came without a latch. I talked to theKM and got one.

I had to slide it all the way up to get proper latching. Another idea might be to remove the latch and refit. When I look at both my 74 and 42 there is a difference: their latches are not slid all the way up like I had to do with this most recent 71. My suggestion might be a PITA tho so take with a grain of salt pls.
0gravity is offline Find More Posts by 0gravity
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:39 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,154 Posts
Quote:
A bit hard to explain this, it's not the latch is being restricted. The latch pin is already fully extended, but still does not go all the way through the ply doubler. It only has enough reach to go through the canopy balsa bulkhead.

It could be my canopy is slightly warped, or the canopy back plate is glued slightly inner to where it should be. It's just 1-2mm off but the latch can't hook onto the ply doubler when fully extended. Does it need to hook onto the ply doubler?

I'd rather not have to use the thumb screws if possible. Hard to disconnect the battery quickly in case anything happens.
I've glued a washer to the back of my canopy, it worked great
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:44 PM
A tale of two slickies
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2010
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
I've glued a washer to the back of my canopy, it worked great

Awesome idea
0gravity is offline Find More Posts by 0gravity
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:04 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,178 Posts
My 65" Vyper canopy did not fit quite right after a rebuild, with a bit of a gap between canopy and turtle deck and a washer on the back of canopy did the trick for me as well.
weaser42 is online now Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
Livin ta fly
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Does anyone else have a problem saying no when someone approaches you at a Fly-in with a great cash deal for one of your planes?

Another 71 slick gone.

I guess this time I can get my Motrolfly and digital servo powered Slick.........
Learn to just say no JohnnyR. It sure would have left a lot more money in my pocket. LOL. It was destiny. I had already decided I was gonna order one if I didn't pick one up at B.E.S.T. FYI I really enjoyed your piloting skills last weekend. As soon as get over this pulled rib muscle I acquired at B.E.S.T i'll get my rear in gear and get it in the air and let you know how it goes.
sparkx38 is offline Find More Posts by sparkx38
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:21 PM
Livin ta fly
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
So been thinkin of a 30cc gasser for a while and concluded that the 71 Slick will probably be the best option,since I love the slick so much.just a question for ya peeps,which is the best as a 1st gasser?I've really heard amazing things about the 71.
anyone maybe have any experience with the Goldwing MX2?
I had a buddy at the field that had a 30cc MX2 and it seemed to be well built and fly well. I never got a chance to fly it and my buddy wasn't much of a 3d'er so I can't say much more than that. Couple of weeks ago Troy built models was running a heck of a deal but looks like thry are out now. Red wing models are the exact same models made in the exact same factory. FYI.
sparkx38 is offline Find More Posts by sparkx38
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,241 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have issues with the canopy latch pin being too short?

I'm finishing the Slick and discovered my canopy latch pin does not go all the way through the canopy plywood doubler when the canopy is fitted and latched. When fully extended it only goes through about half way in the canopy frame: It latches only onto the balsa part of the canopy bulkhead instead of all the way through the plywood doubler. All my other Slick latch all the way through.

It looks like the latch is glued in the right place and length of the pin is correct, any longer it would scrape when fitting the canopy. Maybe the canopy is a bit distorted so the fit is not perfect. The magnets are holding it very tight and the pin latches, but just not fully.

Am I going to have problems with the canopy blowing off?
Grab the pin with a pair of pliers and pull it. I have usually been able to pull an extra 1/16 or more out of it. Some just seem like the pin is pressed into the latch mechanism farther than others.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
Great idea, I'll try gluing a thin ply doubler or a washer. Much thanks guys!
Huang is offline Find More Posts by Huang
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:49 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkx38 View Post
I had a buddy at the field that had a 30cc MX2 and it seemed to be well built and fly well. I never got a chance to fly it and my buddy wasn't much of a 3d'er so I can't say much more than that. Couple of weeks ago Troy built models was running a heck of a deal but looks like thry are out now. Red wing models are the exact same models made in the exact same factory. FYI.
Thanx.I've contacted redwing,so waiting for a response.
But I'm still leaning way more toward a 71 slickerooo but I want a gasser though.so maybe just stick it out till there's stock again.and will have to check what shipping to SA will be though,think it might be lank
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:03 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Grab the pin with a pair of pliers and pull it. I have usually been able to pull an extra 1/16 or more out of it. Some just seem like the pin is pressed into the latch mechanism farther than others.
I have done this on a couple of planes as well, sometimes the pin just slips inside the plastic mount.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:41 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
Quote:
+1 have had to do this a few times.
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:25 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
I was going to suggest this very thing. Seen it a couple of times. Also when securing your canopy don't let the latch mechanism slam closed, the pin has a tendenancy to slide forward in the latch itself making it almost impossible to open the canopy. Even fully retracted the pin doesn't move far enough aft to release the canopy. Most already know this just thought I'd point it out after fighting with a stuck pin and the fustration it caused.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Jun 2006
51 Posts
So after lurking through nearly 1000 of the past pages I finally took the plunge and got the 71" slick. I slapped a a60-6xs on the front after reading Steve's comments. I live at 7500ft, and it seemed pretty gut-less for this morning's maiden. It will pull out of a hover, but not by much. I've got a 20x10 on it and a 60c gens ace 5300 6 cell pack. I'm barely pulling 1300 watts at 60amps. Any suggestions for the next step? A bigger prop like a 21x12?
Maxmannnn is offline Find More Posts by Maxmannnn
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:36 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmannnn View Post
So after lurking through nearly 1000 of the past pages I finally took the plunge and got the 71" slick. I slapped a a60-6xs on the front after reading Steve's comments. I live at 7500ft, and it seemed pretty gut-less for this morning's maiden. It will pull out of a hover, but not by much. I've got a 20x10 on it and a 60c gens ace 5300 6 cell pack. I'm barely pulling 1300 watts at 60amps. Any suggestions for the next step? A bigger prop like a 21x12?

I've been running a falcon 21x10 on mine all summer it pulls the plane around pretty well. Very happy with this setup. I also tried a 20x10 and was disappointed.
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member