Arr pieces of foam me hearties
Australia, WA, Duncraig
Joined Aug 2013
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I have a feeling this is gonna be a great experience

Mike.
Maidened mine this morning, You are gonna love it. Surprised me by landing and taking off from grass.

Have fun
Kwaz
kwaziithepirate is offline Find More Posts by kwaziithepirate
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2015, 03:50 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Aug 2014
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Mine normally bust completely, wriggle it a little to release, but I seem to always end up using the tip of a blade to clean the mounting hole of the remaining strut.

I just redid my struts after a good crash saturday.. this time cut two out of 3mm corrugated plastic board..
Well, I replaced the interplane struts on the Pitts today and it was a lot easier than I thought. The old ones came right out after wiggling them a little. Very little residue left in the slots they go in. A little foam safe glue and done.

Thanks for the hint Bo.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Mar 27, 2015, 05:12 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
12,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Would anyone know the stock weight without battery?

(Or wouldn't mind weighing yours if you have an accurate scale?)

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Mine has not been strengthened or repaired. EW is 81g.

Joel
Joel, Sax, I just took delivery today of my Pitts I weighed the Pitts on a very fine scale (AWS-5500i). I came up with 83.9g. Is that a big difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaziithepirate View Post
Maidened mine this morning, You are gonna love it. Surprised me by landing and taking off from grass.

Have fun
Kwaz
I can't wait to get her out here. I actually had to open the manual to see where the heck the battery went ROFLMAO

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Mar 27, 2015, 06:40 PM
United States, MA, Newton
Joined Nov 2014
151 Posts
I finally got to get the Pitts and Icon up in tha air , that I've had just sitting in the boxes since the holidays. Man they are both fun but this thing is CRAZY. Just had to dodge a dog and some left over snow on landing but I ran 5 batteries through just the Pitts alone. So much fun! Completely worth waiting for!
Phil Ciborowski is online now Find More Posts by Phil Ciborowski
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:35 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
12,562 Posts
Good to hear Phil. I just got mine and can't wait to maiden her I just noticed your from Newton. Not too far from me.

Question Guys,

I searched the thread to see if the servos should be protected and came up empty. As I looked my Pitts over, I was thinking of "must do" mods before taking flight (most models do). As far as protecting the servos, I've heard of guys using clear plastic spoons cut down. I was even thinking of using the plastic servo protectors from the Carbon Cub.

What's your take on "pre-flight"/"must do" mods before taking flight? Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:45 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,784 Posts
I don't have any protection on the servos and flying it for more than a yr. with no problems. I fly off grass.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:18 PM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
454 Posts
servo covers

Hey Mike. I used the servo covers from the UM F-27 Stryker. Part no. is PKZU2253. They are almost a perfect match of red.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=7716366
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:30 PM
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
326 Posts
Also not running any servo covers here. Really not a problem. As for pre flight fixes, Protect the fuse from the landing gear pants. In most landings not greased, the plastic triangles fled back and dent or cut the foam. A bit of tape here makes a difference. Others have made more extreme cushioning mods.
The Jackalope is online now Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:50 PM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
454 Posts
I just put them on for cosmetic reasons only. Doesn't need them unless you are (heaven forbid) belly landing.
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:14 PM
Toaster, not Toast
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2014
74 Posts
Chap- Like the Jackalope says, protect the fuselage from the plastic on the landing gear, it'll really tear up the fuselage. I never worried about the wing servos and once landed in the drink with no long term problems.

To those replacing interplane struts, both of mine have gotten pretty beat up and I kept gluing them back together. Finally, I tore a wing off and the strut was just done. I cut a new one from 1/32 balsa, colored it with a sharpie, and glued it in there. I was very careful about the length and preserving the relative incidence of the wings; they are supposed to be at slightly different angles to mellow the stall behavior, I believe. Anyway, the balsa is much sturdier than the foam, and not any heavier. I found it worthwhile, although I wouldn't do it until you need to.

To those asking about weight, mine is at 84 grams, and that's after breaking the landing gear off, the nose off, the whole top wing and both sides of the bottom wing. I have added some carbon rod strengtheners into the nose, a balsa tray for the battery, and a little balsa doubler behind the landing gear to reinforce that against grass landings. With a little care, this thing can really be beat up and put back together without causing problems, and it still flies great.

What a plane!

-Topher
Toastermoore is online now Find More Posts by Toastermoore
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:04 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
12,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceinvader View Post
Hey Mike. I used the servo covers from the UM F-27 Stryker. Part no. is PKZU2253. They are almost a perfect match of red.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=7716366
Those look nice space. I'll keep those in mind I'll ask my LHS to order some on my next visit. Save on shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Also not running any servo covers here. Really not a problem. As for pre flight fixes, Protect the fuse from the landing gear pants. In most landings not greased, the plastic triangles fled back and dent or cut the foam. A bit of tape here makes a difference. Others have made more extreme cushioning mods.
Thank you Jack. I had planned on doing just that. I had to do the same thing with my Champ. The tape really helps

Thanks again Guys. Wow I was expecting a list of "must do" mods. What a pleasure to hear this bird doesn't need much...just tape

Mike.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 06:30 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,784 Posts
After the pant covers did dent my wing, I cut a bit off the back sharp corners and put a dab of hotglue on the dents to harden the wing up at those points.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:11 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,487 Posts
Red duct tape make good pants replacements, and won't carve into the wings.
Jasen40 is online now Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:27 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
955 Posts
I have done the spoon servo covers on most of my UMX planes mostly for looks.
jlk69 is online now Find More Posts by jlk69
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,767 Posts
Another beautiful calm morning in Southern IDEEH.
Brought along my Beast, Sbach, Yak & Pitts.

After 13+ hrs of (3S) flights on my Pitts, my motor bearing started squawking.
Couldn't get it to quiet down so I installed a new E-flite 2300Kv motor.
(EFLUM180BL)
That was the original Beast motor which has since been discontinued.
Silent and powerful with a GWS 5043 prop.

If you have never flown the 2300Kv motor, it's a bit shocking how silent it is in flight.
You can hear the servos working over the motor noise on a high speed pass.

Right now, I'm still flying my Pitts on the stock prop (EFLUP575225) but will switch over to the GWS 5043 soon.
Wanted to compare motors on the same prop.

My favorite batt for the Pitts is my BB Hyp (3S) 240.
The performance is pretty spectacular!

I'm impressed with how well the Pitts flies with my BB Hyp (3S) 320s.
That's a lot of weight @ over 29g.
If you keep the cg on, the Pitts performs beautifully even with all that excess batt weight.

Fun plane to fly!!

Roger
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member