SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2015, 08:08 AM
Even that isn't fast enough
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Sep 2004
310 Posts
I was going to test fly my Cat today. Assembled everything last night. Left main operates fine. Right sign works fine at 100psi. At 90-95 the right side is hit or miss and then it just dumps all the air. I am using a xicoy electronic valve. I will pull that side this afternoon to look for kinks but any hints or ideas would be helpful.
why_fly_high is online now Find More Posts by why_fly_high
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2015, 08:43 PM
United States, OK, Clinton
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
That's a bummer about the retracts, had some very nice last few days. I got some flights on my newly completed habu 32 8 cell plane. She's a rocket for sure.

Ok guys. I know I'll feel stupid after I post this but what are these for? The Lil bullet shaped piece has a set screw in the side.

Also, did any of your kits come with a canopy latch and hook all glued in and setup? If so, is it ok to use ? Or did you go another route ? It seems to fit very well. The wood they used is crap and I bet money that the canopy latch wasn't scuffed up any before they glued it in so I'm popping them off and redoing it but just really wanted to know if yours is like this and doing ok.
crash8384 is online now Find More Posts by crash8384
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2015, 08:50 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,693 Posts
Steve:
My planes did not come with any of the stuff you show here and it certainly did not come with a pre installed canopy latch. You could probably use the canopy latch but what is really important is the rigidity of the canopy and its base. Some guys are building their own canopy tub and some are using other means. If the canopy is not very rigid then the canopy will depart the plane. Take a look back at some of my posts regarding how I did my canopy attachment. If you can not find the posts let me know and I can help.

Ed
A10pilot is online now Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:44 PM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined May 2008
468 Posts
Mine came with the extra wood bits, too. I never did figure out what they were for. I ended up using them as raw material to make mounts for my pump, fuel shutoff valve and filter.

I like the idea of a real canopy latch, provided it really works. As Ed points out, this canopy as supplied has basically no structure, which makes it a pain to retain. You either need a wood plate or a molded tub to stiffen it. Otherwise it will likely depart the plane. And not only do you end up losing the canopy, the plane becomes somewhat unstable in pitch (I'd guess due to that big 'scoop' causing turbulence over the horizontal stab and elevator). Ask me how I know :-O. Since I stiffened mine I have had about 50 flights with no issues.

Greg
gsm026 is offline Find More Posts by gsm026
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
well Ed and Greg,
the latch its self is pretty decent quality. i tried popping it out and it was stuck on chuck. the tub i got in my kit is thick ridgid fg and now it had a better quality of wood and glue redoing the rear canopy hook. also where the canopy latch pic slids into the canopy, it has a 1/16 thick ply plaate epoxied to a thick lay up of fg. eo theres plenty of meat for the pin to slide in and theres about 3/4 inch of pin that goes into the from t of the canopy.

I've added pics of the canopy tub that I got with my kit. Is said above, its made from very thick fiber glass cloth and resin. Is this the same as what you all got with yours ?

ed, ive seen yours and that was how i was pplanning to do mine till i opened the box to this from the factory.

Greg,ill be up all nite now trying to figure out where thise 2 wood ply plates go. one has 4 screw holes and one big hole. the other is a super flimsy ply with 4 super tiny lazer cut holes so small i can barley see thru them. and a rectangle outline. reckon it could be a uat mount of some sorts?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by crash8384; Yesterday at 11:19 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
does any one have any good pics of the wheel wells installed and any tips on a good way to install them.? mainly on the nose well. im thinking about discarding the main wheel wells and using something else other than this lexan plastic molded stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
Trick I learned many years ago with my IC ducted fan jets was the minute it hits the runway, let go of the elevator stick, main cause of a bounce is over trying to slow it down with elevator if it lands at too high a speed it will take off again if up elevator is still applied, if no elevator is present it run far and fast but will stay flat.
Greg, Ed and xairflyer, I should have clarified I meant the nose wheel bouncing, not the mains. For warbirds and taildraggers I do as xairflyer and let go of the elevator just as the mains touch.

My Navy Cat is not completed yet but I have seen Falcon 120's with long nose gear and a nose high 'stance' that bounce as the plane rolls out after landing. A friend of mine with a Navy Cat had the same problem and he just completed testing a modification. He shortened his nose strut so the plane sits almost level (horizontal) and the nose bounce has stopped.

My stock Navy Cat also has a long nose strut so I plan to shorten it some to help level the plane's stance.
Harvey Mushman is offline Find More Posts by Harvey Mushman
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
30 Posts
canopy latch

I tugged on my canopy latch and it popped off. There was glue only on one side of the latch. I plan to scuff and clean the surfaces and then use Hysol with some BVM 'milled fiber' on both sides to re-attach the latch.
Harvey Mushman is offline Find More Posts by Harvey Mushman
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Mushman View Post
I tugged on my canopy latch and it popped off. There was glue only on one side of the latch. I plan to scuff and clean the surfaces and then use Hysol with some BVM 'milled fiber' on both sides to re-attach the latch.
Yea, mine popped off just a few min. Ago but it was my fault and had quite a bit of glue on it.
I had my fuse upside down on the bench and pushed down on it too hard and popped it out of the fuse.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
I came across this pic on page 13. Is this the intended way to install the lexan wheel wells ? Not
sure I like the looks and one reason I think I'm going with another way of doing them.

I am planning on using the nose wheel well though and cut it to set inside the wheel opening.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Lockport NY
Joined Jan 2010
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
I was going to test fly my Cat today. Assembled everything last night. Left main operates fine. Right sign works fine at 100psi. At 90-95 the right side is hit or miss and then it just dumps all the air. I am using a xicoy electronic valve. I will pull that side this afternoon to look for kinks but any hints or ideas would be helpful.
Call Yong he'll replace it
toolmaker49 is offline Find More Posts by toolmaker49
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Joined May 2008
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8384 View Post
well Ed and Greg,

I've added pics of the canopy tub that I got with my kit. Is said above, its made from very thick fiber glass cloth and resin. Is this the same as what you all got with yours ?

Greg,ill be up all nite now trying to figure out where thise 2 wood ply plates go. one has 4 screw holes and one big hole. the other is a super flimsy ply with 4 super tiny lazer cut holes so small i can barley see thru them. and a rectangle outline. reckon it could be a uat mount of some sorts?
Our older kits came with no tub of any kind, so that is another significant improvement in the new version. The extra wood is a mystery to me. Like I said, I used it to make some small mounts that I needed and threw the rest in my plywood scrap box. In terms of my plates to mount my UAT, receiver, ECU, etc ... I bought 3/32" light ply and cut my own. I started with someone's (probably Ed's) patterns that were shown on this thread and then adapted from there.

Greg
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Joined May 2008
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Mushman View Post
Greg, Ed and xairflyer, I should have clarified I meant the nose wheel bouncing, not the mains. For warbirds and taildraggers I do as xairflyer and let go of the elevator just as the mains touch.

My Navy Cat is not completed yet but I have seen Falcon 120's with long nose gear and a nose high 'stance' that bounce as the plane rolls out after landing. A friend of mine with a Navy Cat had the same problem and he just completed testing a modification. He shortened his nose strut so the plane sits almost level (horizontal) and the nose bounce has stopped.

My stock Navy Cat also has a long nose strut so I plan to shorten it some to help level the plane's stance.
Very different landing technique IMHO than a warbird. I did not really interpret my bouncing problems as any thing specific to the nose gear. Flare nose high, and hold it in that positions with the mains slightly off the runway until it settles on it's own and you will have no problem. The longer nose strut gives a positive angle of attack that helps the plane take off without having to pull back on the stick. I like that compared to my larger Viperjet which you have to yank off of the runway.

Greg