HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniirwan View Post
Thinking of my next CTH wing build...

Maybe some blue threadlock will work to keep the screws from coming loose?

Decided on the CF2812 motor for my next build because on the last flight of my lost Assassin, I changed the motor from a CF2812 to a Turnigy 2812 1450kv which has a more traditional X-cross shaped motor mount. However I found that X mount to be quite troublesome to mount to Lee's aluminium motor mount...the holes on the alu mount matches perfectly with the 3 holes on the circular mount of the CF2812 but not on the more common X mount. I was only able to fix two screws instead of the full count of 4.
Metal to metal you need blue loctite unless its a gas muffler where you will use red. Good rule to follow. Dont get too long screws for the motor also. But for these you don't need to use the x mount. Actually you shouldn't use it. You will always have at least two screw holes for any motor that will work on this plane. Two screws is just fine by the way and on any motor that you can fit on this wing. Two is all you will need. If you need to feel better about it drill new hole or just extend the hole because its very little more space you need but then again you don't have to have 4 screws. You did use dab of blue right. Good to go!
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,574 Posts
[QUOTE=daniirwan;31203074]Thinking of my next CTH wing build...

Has anyone used Gorilla Clear Repair (http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-602700.../dp/B00EUGCT22) tape instead of 3M Extreme tape in their wing builds? I just bought some of the stuff, seems to be quite sturdy and strong. Not sure how it compares to the 'normal' extreme tape, though.

Also, on the CF2812 motors, I'm going to replace the tiny li'l set screws holding the motor shaft to the circular motor mount with M3x6mm hex screws. I did this with my first CF2812 motor, and after that the motor ran 'rough', so I think I damaged a bearing due to overtightening. Hence question is, how does one know when tight is too tight? Maybe some blue threadlock will work to keep the screws from coming loose?

/QUOTE]

I replace the screws on most of my motors too. I use the blue thread lock and have learned not to over tighten them.

I have used several types of tape. I have even built without the reinforcing tape at all. As long as the tape will stick and doesn't stretch you should be OK. I haven't tried the Gorilla clear tape but will look for a roll and see how it works.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Today, 10:40 AM
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Dec 2012
735 Posts
got my first kit from CTH yesterday.

very nicely done. everything looks great. just finished watching all the build videos to make sure i have a clear understanding of everything and it looks pretty straight forward.

it'll be my first time using laminate, looking forward to playing with it.
swampflyer is online now Find More Posts by swampflyer