New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by ChicoFlyer
Joined Mar 2013
60 Posts
Question
Sunbird E 60" Warmliner Power Setup

First off, I am new to gliders and warmliners. I started flying a couple years ago and advanced to EDF jets (currently flying a Yellow Aircraft F-16) and also in the process of building a Yellow Aircraft P-40 with a Kolm EZ65 four stroke. But I needed something that is a little more manageable to toss into the trunk of my car to fly at the end of the day. I wanted something that was quick, agile, and just an all around good flying plane. So I decided to try my hand at a warmliner.

So I just ordered a new RCRCM Electric Sunbird the other day.

Right now I am looking at an MVVS 25 3.5/1200 on a 3S battery and a 10x6 or 10x8 folding prop to power this thing.

Does anyone else have any good suggestions? I would like to have a good flat speed, (not trying to set any records by any means) but also may do some slope soaring with it as well.
ChicoFlyer is offline Find More Posts by ChicoFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2015, 06:30 AM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoFlyer View Post
First off, I am new to gliders and warmliners. I started flying a couple years ago and advanced to EDF jets (currently flying a Yellow Aircraft F-16) and also in the process of building a Yellow Aircraft P-40 with a Kolm EZ65 four stroke. But I needed something that is a little more manageable to toss into the trunk of my car to fly at the end of the day. I wanted something that was quick, agile, and just an all around good flying plane. So I decided to try my hand at a warmliner.

So I just ordered a new RCRCM Electric Sunbird the other day.

Right now I am looking at an MVVS 25 3.5/1200 on a 3S battery and a 10x6 or 10x8 folding prop to power this thing.

Does anyone else have any good suggestions? I would like to have a good flat speed, (not trying to set any records by any means) but also may do some slope soaring with it as well.
I use a similar power system in my same size but fair bit lighter Bandit - Hyperion Gs3014-10 (Kv=1290), 10x8, 3S 2200. IIRC about 550W, but also nice high pitch speed above 80mph. I'm very happy with its performance as a warmliner.
If you go with the MVVS, verify with a wattmeter but if you can use the 10x8 it will be preferable to the 10x6 for both vertical climb rate and level speed.
It appears the Sunbird is setup for a 36mm spinner, so the MVVS will be an easy fit. Esprit also recommends the Hyperion Gs3020-08, but other 35mm outrunners without the extended nose of the Gs motors will likely not have have clearance for the motor wires. Your other options are geared inrunners or being willing to cut holes in the nose to run the motor wires out around the motor bell.
Me, I'd double check with Esprit to confirm that the Hyperion Gs3020-08 will definitely fit without having to cut holes for the wires, and if so, I'd suggest it rather than the MVVS. You could start the 3020-08 on 3S with an 11x10 with the option to move to 4S and 10x8. Even a 10x8 on 3S to start with will still be fun.
The MVVS on 3S will doubtless give you good performance, but I think the Hyperion has Kv high enough to be in warmliner territory on 3S with readily available props, but low enough to work well with 4S, has a higher current rating than the MVVS for the same overall weight and is a fair bit cheaper.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old May 09, 2015, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
1,570 Posts
I am waiting for my Sunbird to arrive and wondering about a motor as well. But until I have her in my hands I can't figure out what can be shoehorned in because I have a Hyperion Gs3025-04 that needs a bird. It will be 3s2250 45C and AR10x12 @975~1025w.
DeadstickDuck is offline Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; May 11, 2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:49 PM
Joined Mar 2013
60 Posts
I did the maiden flight on my Sunbird yesterday. I definitely have some work to do with some mixes! Didn't have crow set up and being my first powered sailplane, it was definitely an interesting experience!

My setup:
Motor: MVVS 25 3.5/1200 Sport
ESC: Jeti Spin Pro 66
Servos: 6x MKS Ds6100 (I personally not a fan of these, the casing configuration is not ideal in the wings, required shimming out the servo horn to clear the case)
Battery: Glacier 30C 2200mAh

I ordered my plane from olerc.com, as they had the color scheme I wanted as well as it came with a free wiring harness and wing bags. The fuselage bag is kind of pointless once I epoxied the wiring harness plugs to it, the bag was very tight while putting the fuse in before I epoxied them in; now it just doesn't fit unless I were to modify the bag.

Installing the flap and aileron control horns is a bit annoying, you will have to drill and trim out some of the supporting balsa wood on both the wing and control surface. Looking back at my install, there is some things I would definitely do differently. I glued in a flat piece of 3/16" plywood into the bottom of the fuse to put my battery on, I should have made it a little wider to mount it higher in the fuselage to give me more space below the plate. This would have allowed me to run my servo wires beneath the mounting plate and made for a MUCH cleaner install.

As far as the motor, the fuselage widens fairly quickly below and above the motor, so if you were to mount the motor with the wires coming out the bottom, I do not think you'll have an issue.
Old May 10, 2015, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by Flightplan
Joined Jan 2014
80 Posts
Hi ChicoFlyer!

Any chance of some pics? I've never seen the E-Sunbird up close and I'm curious about the differences between the sloper and E fuse dimensions. Does yours have the servo mounts behind the wing?
Flightplan is offline Find More Posts by Flightplan
Old May 10, 2015, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoFlyer View Post
I did the maiden flight on my Sunbird yesterday. I definitely have some work to do with some mixes! Didn't have crow set up and being my first powered sailplane, it was definitely an interesting experience!

My setup:
Motor: MVVS 25 3.5/1200 Sport
ESC: Jeti Spin Pro 66
Servos: 6x MKS Ds6100 (I personally not a fan of these, the casing configuration is not ideal in the wings, required shimming out the servo horn to clear the case)
Battery: Glacier 30C 2200mAh

... .
What prop did you end up using, and did you get a power measurement?
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old May 10, 2015, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2013
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightplan View Post
Hi ChicoFlyer!

Any chance of some pics? I've never seen the E-Sunbird up close and I'm curious about the differences between the sloper and E fuse dimensions. Does yours have the servo mounts behind the wing?
My plane is the carbon E-Sunbird, it does have the servo mounts behind the wing for the elevator and rudder.

If you want any specific pictures, please let me know, I'll get them for you.
Old May 10, 2015, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2014
80 Posts
Thanks kindly for that ChicoFlyer. Very nice.

From those photos, I can see the fuselage is definitely a different shape compared with the slope version. Clearly they've expanded the room in the nose to accomodate the motor/electronics. Its interesting to note that the motor is further forward than what I think could be achieved by attempting to install a motor in a modified slope fuselage. Where does the CoG end up (from the leading edge)?

The tailboom has a much larger diameter too, so I'd expect it to be much much stronger than the sloper (which would be good news).

Cheers
Old May 10, 2015, 08:23 PM
Joined Mar 2013
60 Posts
My battery ends up being under the wing spar, and the CG ends up being around 65 to 70mm from the leading edge.

I did my 2nd flight on it today, was a TON easier to land with some crow braking! Still have to dial in some more down elevator when I lower the flaps though. Loving the whistling noise.

After comparing my fuselage side by side with the pictures on RCRCM's website, I definitely agree the fuselage is shaped a little differently with a thicker boom. I even grabbed the vertical stab and applied a little bit of torque to see if there was any deflection in it, it was pretty rock solid. I think this 'bird is going to be a great plane to throw in my trunk when I want to travel somewhere. Not to mention I can easily get about 10 minutes on a 2200mah battery, I'm used to more of around 4 to 6 minutes on a battery!
Old May 11, 2015, 04:47 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
1,570 Posts
How much does the electric version weigh?
Old May 11, 2015, 08:34 AM
Joined Mar 2013
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck View Post
How much does the electric version weigh?
Mine came in at a hefty 1450 grams ready to fly... just over 3lbs.
Old May 11, 2015, 01:26 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
1,570 Posts
Thanks. Since I am converting the slope version I have estimated 47-48 oz. Esprit lists the Sunbird E as up to 52oz...
Old May 12, 2015, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2014
80 Posts
The unballasted flying weight of my slope version is: 35 ounces (996 gms).